Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

UK and Europe World • Page 73

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by aranea, May 19, 2017.

1. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

I’d be paranoid that I actually caught Covid.

Anyway over here young-ish people without relevant pre-existing conditions - including me - probably won’t get anything until summer. It sucks.

2. The Lucky Moose

It’s a little wild but AZ apparently really did mess up hard

3. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

Now they've U-turned it seems. Crazy night.

4. StevenW92

Regular

Starmer in the daily mail again asking for schools to open. Banging on about the ‘spirit that made us the envy of the world’. It’s almost like Starmer thinks people are stupid and that everyone who doesn’t read the mail will not notice the article and just ignore that he’s actively trying to encourage a situation that will increase the spread of covid and lead to further lockdown.

awakeohsleeper and AFoolsGlory like this.
  5. Philll

Trusted

Ah yes, backing the tory position again, the kind of shrewd political maneuvering that is bound to put labour ahead in the polls

6. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

It’s funny that I’m classed as an essential worker, and for some reason am being forced into the office, yet not essential enough to get vaccinated before like September.

This whole situation is such bullshit and I feel more hopeless about everything than ever before.

Mary V, Philll and SpyKi like this.
  7. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I got covid like a week after my vaccine, no symptoms or anything but having to self isolate for 10 days which luckily falls on holiday I already had booked.

Philll likes this.
  8. The Lucky Moose

Glad to hear you’re fine. I’m legit scared that going to get the vaccine will be the moment on which I will catch it.

9. StevenW92

Regular

Election still years away, but fuck.

10. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

I saw James O'Brien tweet something like this similar, but what would Boris/ the Tories have to do to slip behind in these polls?

His Government has been nothing but a disaster for the entire time it's been in power. We've had 10 years of Tory rule now. There's been scandals, cronyism, breaking of ministerial code, the Cummings affair, not to mention Covid in general, and yet nothing seems to even make a dent in the polls.

It blows my mind.

11. aliens exist

pure on main

woah, you mean to tell me that a significant portion of the british population are tories and the ones that aren't have correctly assessed that starmer's labour party has nothing to offer them? mind = blown!

12. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Also, as soon as the SNP began winning most seats in Scotland there’s no real pathway to victory for Labour. Unless they go for a progressive alliance with the LibDem & Greens I think we’re stuck with the Conservatives for a long time.

I’m also in the camp that thinks that post-Brexit, Scottish independence is looking more and more inevitable. I dread to think what the likelihood of an alternative to a Tory government is if that happens.

Stupid electoral system.

AFoolsGlory likes this.
  13. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Trying not to get my hopes up but if we get to actually have a normal July/August, I will cry with happiness.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  14. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

The end of June seems so soon - will be great if it happens and it does look like the vaccine is beginning to help.

Hopefully we’ll be able to stick to this schedule.

15. The Lucky Moose

It seems to me that they’re all maybe overly optimistic about how well some of the vaccines will deal with some of the more crazy mutations that will hit Europe in full force sooner or later

Philll and awakeohsleeper like this.
  16. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah, I think cautious optimism is the best bet.

I literally cannot give time to any doom mongers anymore. Life is depressing enough.

17. StevenW92

Regular

The thought of life going back to normal in 4 months time is a pretty scary one after the last year.

I didn’t watch the announcement earlier and didn’t watch all of the press briefing but I didn’t hear any mention of face masks today. I’m assuming they’re not going to be expecting people in night clubs to wear masks? Cautiously optimistic at this point. Got to say it was bit of a kick in the bollocks hearing that cinemas won’t be reopening for 3 months though.

18. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

not sure how you can enforce people to wear masks in a place where the main things you do are drink alcohol and swap saliva haha

19. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Also a reminder so myself that the tories are inherently bumbling and evil, and we should trust nothing they say

20. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

My understanding was that they think all social controls (social distancing, masks etc) will be removed by that June date if everything goes to plan.

The main reason for saying this was to appease the big proportion of his party campaigning for everything to be removed by the end of April.

I agree with the above that it all seems a bit soon.

We have a lot of students at the college I work at that had social anxiety before the last year... after not being in close proximity to people for nearly a year, it’s going to be weird if we are back to normal that quickly.

My personal opinion hasn’t changed since the first lockdown: I would much rather that they pursued an elimination strategy like Australia and NZ. Can’t believe they only introduced hotel quarantines last week...

SpyKi likes this.
  21. Philll

Trusted

Schools are my biggest concern atm, throwing all kids in together right out of the gate seems so obviously unwise.

The other main concern I've seen scientists discussing is that if you're opening everything back up alongside a vaccination roll out then you're just encouraging the vaccine-resistant strains to mutate and spread. Ideally you want the majority of the population vaccinated before opening things back up.

22. Thrillcollinz

Try to stay afloat

These past three months have been fucking rough, but I'm still thinking the re-opening is too soon. My partner is a teacher and knowing she'll be stuck in a room with 20+ kids every day without any idea when she'll be receiving a jab is scary.

23. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I can’t believe they haven’t added teachers to the vaccination priority list.

I was so annoyed when they were parading those statistics about before half term saying teachers were less at risk than other key workers... erm, that’s obvious because you closed the schools March to July and then January through to now.

Stupid statistic manipulation.

SpyKi, Philll and SamLevi11 like this.
  24. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Sooo I don't know what the opinion on them is here but anyone watching the Meghan and Harry + Oprah interview? Do people in the UK truly care about them or the situation at all?

25. StevenW92

Regular

I didn’t watch the interview as it happened in the early hours of the morning but there is very strong feeling about Harry and particularly Meghan in the UK. This driven mainly by the heavily right wing media in this country and Piers Morgan in particular, who is the face of anti Meghan backlash and the ‘culture war’ in general. Most can read between the lines and realise that Meghan race plays a big part in it, racists will tell you it’s not about her race. Harry himself has thought very negatively of the press since the part they played in his mother’s death.

Personally, I’ve never cared for the Royal Family. It’s ridiculous to me that the tax payer funds them when there’s so much poverty and inequality in this country. What’s worth noting is how much more of a criminal Meghan is made about to be by the press than Harry’s uncle, and friend of Jeffrey Epstein, Prince Andrew. The press seem keen to cover up his existence.

Mary V and AFoolsGlory like this.