Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

UK and Europe World • Page 70

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by aranea, May 19, 2017.

1. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Everyone fleeing London has caused mass chaos at train stations. The virus is just going to get extra spread about because of this...

2. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Surely people shouldn't be fleeing London they should be staying where they live. Isn't that the whole point?

3. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

You would think so...

4. Philll

Trusted

At this point I'm not sure I wholly blame people. They were given 8 hours to choose between Christmas alone or trying to get to family. Its probably very irresponsible, but I'm give people a little bit of slack seeing as just a few days ago johnson was saying that cancelling Christmas was completely off the table. Our cruel and incompetent government has done this, people are just trying to do the best they can with the options they've got.

5. StevenW92

Regular

The government literally forced schools to stay open when they wanted to close. This deliberate endangering of life isn’t really a surprise anymore though.

I think we need a further lockdown in January with secondary schools and universities moving to online only. What a shit show this really is.

6. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I don’t know why they announced any Christmas plans last month. It was a stupid move.

What is most remarkable (or not when you look at the PM and his cabinet) is that they haven’t learnt a single thing since the beginning of the pandemic. It’s one poor decision after another.

AFoolsGlory, SpyKi and Philll like this.
  7. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

And yet when the inevitable election is called following the pandemic, they will still win.

AFoolsGlory likes this.
  8. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

The most depressing thing I’ve ever read on this site.

(And scarily true).

9. StevenW92

Regular

I would have agreed with this but I do think Starmers speech this morning was his strongest performance to date. For once he genuinely went after the government for there dreadful performance and with the press questions after he pretty much left Johnson in a position where he is seen as unsympathetic or forced to an apology that would sound like him accepting blame for this debacle.

I think Starmer has been a disaster for Labour so far and he has a lot more to do before he appeals to the electorate en masse. Hopefully in the new year he reaffirms the promises he made during his leadership campaign.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  10. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

I somehow follow an anti-lockdown Brit on Twitter. Not sure why. I unfollowed them lol

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  11. SamLevi11 Dec 21, 2020
    (Last edited: Dec 21, 2020)
    SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Well that is the last time I post in the general politics thread lol.

PandaBear! and AFoolsGlory like this.
  12. Thrillcollinz

Try to stay afloat

I think Brexit is reaching it's blazing climax. The channel crossing has been cut off in Dover because of the new covid restrictions so lorries can't make it back to Calais, (there's insane traffic already from Ashford to Dover due to drivers trying to get back before the Brexit deadline) and there's literally no movement.

I wouldn't be surprised if 2020 ends with Dover ablaze and the port destroyed.

The end is here.

PandaBear! likes this.
  13. Philll

Trusted

So at this point I'm predicting a full national lockdown announced on boxing day. All feels inevitable again.

14. Iain

Regular

Im probably going to sound totally ignorant, but are the benefits of Brexit happening to us?

15. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

There never were benefits. Even Rees-Mogg admitted that there would only be long term benefits last year.

With this deal, prices will go up impacting the most poor and vulnerable in the middle of a global pandemic. There will be delays and friction at the border as no one knows what the heck they need to have in place (it’s been announced Christmas Eve, a week or so before it takes place!) Security access is also weakened as we lose access to SIS, despite this meant to be about “strong borders”.

Basically, unless you are someone who hates freedom of movement, there are no real benefits and any impact short term will be negative.

16. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Also watch this space for a huge push for Scottish independence in 2021.

GBlades likes this.
  17. Thrillcollinz

Try to stay afloat

Following up on this, This twitter post sums up the differences between the deal and EU membership pretty well.

Its just a miserable situation.

18. StevenW92

Regular

53135 new cases today. This is an awful situation. We desperately need to get on top of this. This two highest age groups for new cases are primary school age and secondary school to university age.

We really need to close all education settings. If kids go back to school in January things will seriously spiral out of control. We are also desperate for the AstraZeneca vaccine to be approved. Really hope there’s a plan for getting this out as quickly as possible once approved.

Orla, Mary V, Philll and 1 other person like this.
  19. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Massively agree about the education situation. It’s just typical of this government that they are trying to persevere with their current flawed plan.

20. StevenW92

Regular

AstraZeneca vaccine has been approved for use in the UK. Roll out to start from Monday. Get that shit in peoples arms.

21. Thrillcollinz

Try to stay afloat

In a year where literally every secretary of state has been a total fuck up, Gavin Williamson must be the worst. How he continues to have a job after the exams disaster, allowing universities to return in October (which definitely helped lead to the shit situation we're in now) and now allowing students to return to school in most areas of the country without adequate testing or access to the vaccine for teachers in place is totally fucking ludicrous.

This fucking country!

22. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

This after he's already been sacked from a high profile cabinet position for leaking. He's the new Chris Grayling - everything he touches turns to shit.

That's the trouble with BoJo being PM. Absolutely no moral authority when it comes to performance or lying or personal issues, as for him to take action would be admitting the hypocrisy of the things he's spent his whole life doing.

Thrillcollinz likes this.
  23. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Shout out to James, proud to say he grew up a few streets away from where my Nan lives and I used to see him around (he was a fair bit older than me though)

AFoolsGlory, Thrillcollinz and Philll like this.
  24. Philll

Trusted

Best British comedian working today?

25. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Haha you may know my wife - she was at school with James’ sister or something like that!