Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

UK and Europe World • Page 66

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by aranea, May 19, 2017.

1. Philll

Trusted

Update on this, my daughter spent 3 days at nursery this week and now has a cold. We're fairly confident its not covid, the symptoms don't quite align, but it just goes to show how quickly and easily illnesses rip through these settings.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  2. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

Don't really have anywhere else to share this, but tinfoil hat theory - Starmer missing today's Internal Market bill debate is entirely planned as a way of getting him out of having to actively oppose the bill, so that Johnson can't use it as a stick to beat him with about being "anti-brexit" or a remainer.

Very conveniently timed otherwise, and very carefully worded about a family member having symptoms. Gets him out of the debate today, then everyone tested and back in time for PMQs.

(Obviously all that is probably just me connecting dots that don't exist, so I hope he and him family are all healthy, but just seems a bit fishy to me).

3. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Impressed with Ed Miliband’s performance in his place though. One heck of a speech. Completely dismantled the bill.

Thrillcollinz and AFoolsGlory like this.
  4. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

Absolutely. Did an amazing job. I'm so happy Ed is back on the front bench. Might not have been an amazing Leader of the Opposition, but clearly a very talented and passionate MP.

5. StevenW92

Regular

Starmer seems far to Johnson friendly for my liking. Refreshing to see someone on the opposition front bench really go for him. The look on his face was priceless.

6. Philll

Trusted

UK friends, I got in touch today with Green New Deal UK to inquire about volunteering/organising, got a zoom meeting with someone next week. Anybody here got any experience with them/know of anything they do in your area?

7. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Well I'm pretty sure today's announcement is a nail in my employers coffin. They largely work with events and I think they won't survive this.

Luckily, I have a job interview tomorrow so I guess I have no choice but to fucking nail it.

8. Philll

Trusted

Good luck!

SamLevi11 likes this.
  9. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

All the best. Sorry to hear that.

My wife is a florist so the limits on weddings have hit hard. Thankfully I work at a college so have worked throughout. It’s a tough time.

Hope that interview goes well.

10. GBlades

Trusted

Yeah, the wedding thing is hitting hard. 15 person limit and my friends wedding is 13 but they still might not be able to do it because of the household rule. It's already been rescheduled.

11. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Philll likes this.
  12. Philll

Trusted

Mary V and SamLevi11 like this.
  13. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

Along the same lines -

Mary V and SamLevi11 like this.
  14. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

I actually live near this girl and MY GOD she is the worst. She’s the face of “young tories”

15. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

I've always wondered whether people like that actually exist or are just pretending, like young right wingers. I genuinely don't think I've ever met a young passionate Conservative.

16. Philll

Trusted

There's a young guy who i kinda know indirectly who is an enthusiastic young tory, pictures on his Facebook with Rees-Mogg, shit like that. I truly don't understand it.

17. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

I know young conservative-ish people, but yeah they’re not like her and others like her

18. AFoolsGlory Sep 22, 2020
    (Last edited: Sep 22, 2020)
    AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

The closest I think I've got is vaguely going to Uni with a girl who at the time was I think the youngest Tory Councillor in the country and who also had a 65 year old boyfriend. I'll try and find an article about her haha.

Edit - so apparently I haven't been paying attention to the news, because now she's an actual Tory MP haha. Dehenna Davison, for Bishop Auckland. In the ERG of course.

I did find this fun article though - https://www-hulldailymail-co-uk.cdn...ws/dehenna-davison-husband-split-hull-3671212

19. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

That photo made me sick in my mouth.

20. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

I remembered him being more repulsive than that. I'm kinda disappointed

21. StevenW92

Regular

22. StevenW92

Regular

Most young people who take an interest in politics are conservative where I’m from. The tories took a shock win in my constituency in 2017, then won by a landslide last year.

23. Philll

Trusted

Peston getting some numbers on this ratio.

Thrillcollinz and AFoolsGlory like this.
  24. Philll

Trusted

Cant overstate what I'm about to say: fuck this

25. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

I'm so glad I'm not a teacher anymore. Fuck that so hard.