Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

UK and Europe World • Page 65

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by aranea, May 19, 2017.

1. AFoolsGlory Sep 7, 2020
    (Last edited: Sep 7, 2020)
    AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

Literally 6 within my area. Local lockdown is a-coming!

Philll likes this.
  2. Philll

Trusted

Yeah there's at least one high school near me that was closed today. We've also had a huge outbreak in a local poultry factory, something like 300 cases.

And two days now of nearly 3000 cases nationally. Its... not great.

3. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

All the fault of the youth too. I get loads of people in that age group haven't been taking it seriously for weeks, but what with Eat Out To Help Out, being forced to go back to offices, beginning to take young children to school again, and being told to go to the pub every chance they get, you can hardly blame them.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  4. Philll

Trusted

Yeah obviously young people are gonna drive new spikes. But its policy choice more than any individual neglect.

5. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

All the while we hurtle closer towards a no deal Brexit during the biggest recession since records began... lunacy.

Philll likes this.
  6. Mattww

Regular

It’s ok though children are so low risk that opening the schools won’t make a difference. My wife works at our kids school and there are so many ‘colds’ going round already. Kinda madness

Philll likes this.
  7. Philll

Trusted

One of the craziest things about lockdown is that I havent been ill at all since like January. I have two toddlers so I usually get colds every couple of months. Just goes to show how much illness we put up with being around so many other people all the time. My eldest started back at nursery yesterday so I imagine the germs will be back soon enough.

8. Mattww

Regular

Hadn’t even considered that - none of us got colds or sickness bugs at all during that period - we normally have a summer cold of some kind.

Philll likes this.
  9. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

I got sick more than once somehow, though granted the first time was in March and might have been Covid

Philll likes this.
  10. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Prepare for a second lockdown. It might not come immediately but it seems to be coming.

11. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

It will be interesting to see if they can avoid a full blown lockdown or keep going with these regional ones. I feel there is a desire to keep schools open this time so I wonder if we will have a full lockdown but with schools still open (at least at primary level).

Just talking out loud, none of us can really work this out and we definitely can’t predict this u-turn government...!

12. Mattww

Regular

So the government is panicking and now banned indoor gatherings of more than 6. literally everyone I know knew they’d gone to quickly with easing the measures. You’re all right another lockdown seems likely in the next few weeks

13. Philll

Trusted

Tbh the only way I see a second lockdown like we had in the spring is if hospital admissions and deaths go completely out of control. Its pretty clear that they want to keep businesses and schools open at what ever cost they can get away with.

But yeah the latest measures are infuriating, just because they so obviously don't actually address the problem. They want pubs, restaurants, schools, offices, universities, sports, public transport all crammed with as many people as possible, but sure, its me having a few mates over in my garden thats driving the spike.

Personally I'm gutted coz I'm meant to be going away at the end of the month with some friends to celebrate my 30th, and after allowing myself to believe it could happen it now looks like it will probably have to be cancelled.

14. Mattww

Regular

I think, in trying to be as fair as possible to whatever party was in power, that it was always about balancing the economy and Public health. I don’t think they took it seriously enough at the beginning and tried to protect the aviation business too much. Also the lack of enforced quarantine at the airports when this first happened was ridiculous. People flying back from Italy or China just walked through the airports and back home. The economy has been hit so much more since then than if they had taken the hit on grounding all flights. I guess easy to say in hindsight but it seemed so obvious at the time to try and stop as much of the virus coming in as possible

15. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

This government are an absolute shower of shit.

StevenW92 and Philll like this.
  16. I’m sorry you’re all going through this. As an Aussie, I probably shouldn’t be in this thread but the messaging was exactly the same here and it’s absolutely gutted communities. We’ve been in a harsh lockdown for six weeks in my state and things aren’t looking to return to normal anytime soon. Haven’t seen some of my family (including my grandmother) or friends since March. Deaths, heartache, loss of jobs and falling quality of life could and should have been prevented. I’m sorry things are about to hurt really badly because of lacking leaders.

awakeohsleeper and Philll like this.
  17. Philll

Trusted

You're very welcome here, its good to hear from another hemisphere.

I know there's no neat easy solution to any of this, but it seems clear that a lot of (right-wing) governments have exacerbated problems needlessly. Just gotta support one another as best we can i guess.

SamLevi11 and Mary V like this.
  18. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah, I'm mostly worried about my job. But not sure there's much I can do at this point.

Philll likes this.
  19. StevenW92

Regular

The governments message fairly clear. Don’t gather in a group of more than six people. But get back to the office, take public transport to get there and stop for a Costa and a greggs breakfast on the way.

20. AFoolsGlory Sep 10, 2020
    (Last edited: Sep 10, 2020)
    AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

The whole Vote Leave Government has been dying to break off talks. This Internal Markets bill has given them the perfect opportunity. EU will break off trade talks as we've broken international law and can't be trusted anymore. The Tories will paint it as the EU wanting control over us even after we've left. The electorate will eat it up as "taking back control". It's been obvious ever since the bill was first mentioned.

21. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I am so sad that it's entirely believable that the government would find this course of action acceptable and desirable during a global pandemic which has caused the worst recession on record...

I was sadly resigned to Brexit after the election last year and I always knew they'd probably gun for a no deal this year, but I was holding out that a deal would be brokered and we could all move on. Yeah, that was never going to happen. But breaking international law is even more extreme than I ever had thought!

Mary V and AFoolsGlory like this.
  22. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

This is an insightful thread into the legal ramifications and what might happen:

23. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Birmingham lockdown starts next week. Feeling thankful I left right now but fearful my current town/county could be heading the same way.

Philll likes this.
  24. Philll

Trusted

They're surely gonna have to go further than this stupid Rule of 6 if we're following the trajectory of France and Spain atm.

And i can't be the only one to think this idea of a 10pm curfew is utterly useless.

25. Philll

Trusted

Fair enough, I'll have to take a look at that. My instinct is to think that the people who would be out after 10 would more than likely be out before then as well so what difference does it make, but perhaps its not that simple.

The Lucky Moose likes this.