Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

UK and Europe World • Page 64

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by aranea, May 19, 2017.

1. Mattww

Regular

And most of the pressure was because a pro footballer took the time and effort to publicly shame them. Well and raise the issue with some kind of platform in the first place.

Also the stay silent tactic seems to have worked with Dominic Cummings

2. Mattww

Regular

This period in time has culled my Facebook friends. Some seriously fucked up perceptions of right and wrong out there and FB in itself is a cess pit.
    The worst part is that a lot of these friends are parents of kids that my kids go to school with.

3. StevenW92

Regular

With the Tories still 10 points ahead then I feel like Boris could walk in to peoples houses, take a shit on their kitchen table and walk out and people would still vote for him. His cause is helped though by Starmer and his shadow cabinet of cheerleaders. It’s pathetic that shadow chancellor is on the news congratulating Rishi Sunak for sounding like Gordon Brown after he introduced a bunch of policies that are going to redistribute wealth upwards and do little to nothing to help those most in need.

4. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

People don't want to learn. My older sister voted for the Conservatives without knowing why, and now admits to muting and blocking people critisizing them on social media.

This country is full of idiots who refuse to actually do any learning, and refuse to change their mind on anything. I don't think there is any helping us.

5. Mattww

Regular

I used to vote conservative then educated myself and realised that what they stood for didn’t align with my morals. I know so many people who vote out of stubbornness or sheer bloody mindedness. “Can’t vote labour because they’re anti-Semitic” etc

6. Philll

Trusted

Most common ones I come across are "both parties are the same anyway so might as well keep voting conservative" (thanks Tony!!) or "I don't like the conservatives but Labour would be even worse".

It's heartbreaking that the general public has basically been trained to have no political imagination.

Mattww likes this.
  7. StevenW92

Regular

‘Imagine where we’d be now if Corbyn was prime minister’ is a common phrase I hear. Even from people who voted for labour. Well for a start the three million left without financial support through the pandemic would probably have it.

8. Philll

Trusted

So, Johnson's latest is that this winter the virus could be even more virulent, but he hopes we won't have to social distance from November and everything should be back to normal by Christmas. Checks out.

I for one am very confident everything will be fine.

Punisher316, SpyKi and AFoolsGlory like this.
  9. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

It will all be over by Christmas... hmm... when did I hear that one before...?!

10. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

11. StevenW92

Regular

12. Philll

Trusted

Graphic design is my passion, etc etc

Just look at this shite

13. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

The colours make me want to cry and the lack of spacing makes me sad.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  14. Philll

Trusted

Its so great that literally no amount of tory incompetence is enough to affect their standing with the public. They're going to be in power until the day I die :) :) :) :) :)

Mattww likes this.
  15. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

It is unbelievable.

I think as soon as Labour lost ground in Scotland to the SNP, our stupid electoral system means it has to be a pretty drastic swing for them to get a majority. Without electoral reform, you may sadly be right.

Edit: and just imagine if all the covid/Brexit stuff does lead to Scottish independence. We're going to be stuck with them forever!

16. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

Just out here casually gaslighting the country yet again too.

awakeohsleeper, Mattww and Philll like this.
  17. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

Philll likes this.
  18. Philll

Trusted

So glad that Labours corrective lurch to the right has brought back respectability and electability!

Wharf Rat likes this.
  19. Iain

Regular

I stay in Scotland and I could not even tell you the leader of Scottish Labour at this point. In my opinion, they have got complacent over the past 10 years or so. The saying used to be “If you pin a Labour rosette to a donkey, there’s a 90% chance they’ll be elected in Scotland”.
    • War in Iraq - SNP stall was against this from the beginning.
    • “Better Together” - working with the Tories in this campaign rather than themselves.
    • Failed Leaders - several failed leaders such as Kezia Dugdale and John Murphy who came across as representing a branch manager for labour rather than a leader for Scotland.
    • Ultimately, they took the anti-Tory vote for granted.
    The surprisingly only thing that looks like it might benefit Labour is George Galloway returning to Scottish politics with a mission to rile up the SNP vote! “Mr Galloway has already dipped his toes back into the water by launching a campaign urging opposition leaders to agree an electoral pact where only the candidate with the best chance of defeating the SNP would run at next year’s Holyrood election.”

awakeohsleeper and AFoolsGlory like this.
  20. Thrillcollinz

Try to stay afloat

Anyone else getting fucked off with the government and media trying to guilt workers into returning to offices?

I appreciate that a lot of businesses survive on the presence of offices in major cities (e.g. cafes, prets in office space areas etc.), but if companies can continue to operate from a working from home basis without workers having to commute every day, surely thats a good thing environmentally, and for workers' mental health?

21. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

The home office might just be the most effective measure to keep the number of infections low enough. It should not be compromised. Hospitality business etc. suffer because of it, but they shouldn’t have to. Frankly, governments should close them and simply compensate their lost revenues until they can truly safely open again. They way most countries handle the hospitality industry now is bad in every single way. In my city, one restaurant after another is collapsing. It wil be unrecognizable once it is over.

Thrillcollinz likes this.
  22. Thrillcollinz

Try to stay afloat

23. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

Our government made and makes a lot of mistakes, but at least they are firm on the work from home thing. Of course plenty of businesses and even employees aren’t.

24. StevenW92

Regular

The government do seem to be trying to force more people to pile on the tube than is safe. Bizarre as public transport across the country will become a lot busier next week when secondary schools go back.

Will be very interesting to see if the numbers swell in the next couple of weeks. It’s been gradually creeping up now over the last month. I can’t help but feel that people’s attitude towards mask wearing and social distancing seems to be getting particularly lax at a crucial moment.

AFoolsGlory likes this.
  25. Philll

Trusted

Mattww likes this.