Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

UK and Europe World • Page 62

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by aranea, May 19, 2017.

1. Philll

Trusted

Hi folks, just want to make sure we're clear of the rules here:

Migrants trying to enter the UK for a better life: scum, irresponsible, vermin

Dominic Cummings hightailing it to Durham: Very smart, caring father, uses common sense, bit of a hero actually.

Please don't get this twisted, very important that's there's no confusion on this point.

2. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

Honestly, I don't think No. 10 could have handled this any worse. If they'd come out as soon as the story broke owning up to it, saying he'd made a mistake but was just trying to do the best for his family, that he'd be disciplined but the PM is standing by him, this story would have died yesterday afternoon.

As it is, you've got ministers dismantling the lockdown on twitter, Shapps claiming the Government never actually stated where people should isolate thus it was okay (despite the message at the time being "Stay Home"), Boris running scared, Tory MPs coming out calling for Cummings resignation. Absolute omnishambles from top to bottom.

awakeohsleeper and Philll like this.
  3. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

If anything does for him, it'll be the lies on top of lies on top of lies. I really, really hope the Press are sitting on more evidence (CCTV or something). It's feels like being so close to the tipping point, just needs something to tip it over the edge.

4. Philll

Trusted

Like my wife said to me yesterday, they could have easily come out saying "yes, Cummings had a lapse in judgement, it's unfortunate but we all make mistakes, he won't be fired". Wouldn't go down well, but it's sellable. The fact that they're instead choosing to entirely dismantle public trust, revising guidelines on the fly to accommodate him, it's insane behaviour.

awakeohsleeper and AFoolsGlory like this.
  5. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

Totally. That's what makes me think they might tough it out. They're just delaying and delaying, hoping that something else will hit the news and draw fire away.

6. StevenW92

Regular

Surely this is the beginning of the end of the public’s confidence in Boris? Covering for a mate that everyone knows is in the wrong and who clearly has strong influence over the government and policy in general.

It’s being reported that a few within the cabinet are wanting Cummings to go but he already survived a spat with Sajid Javid when he was chancellor so who knows if Boris will prioritise Cumming over more senior cabinet members.

The sad thing that if people may decide to just flaunt the rules now and go see their parents, which will only result in more loss of life.

AFoolsGlory likes this.
  7. Philll

Trusted

This whole thing has me fuming honestly.

On Thursday I had to stay at home while my daughter was rushed to hospital in an ambulance, because I was following the rules. Fuck every last one of these pricks and the slavering sycophants who let them get away with it.

awakeohsleeper and AFoolsGlory like this.
  8. Philll

Trusted

AFoolsGlory likes this.
  9. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

Absolutely. My guy is a Labour guy that has already come out and condemned, and also posted on twitter about all the emails he's getting about it, so I haven't done so yet.

Our neighboring MP is a Tory though, so I'm trying to get my friends who live in that constituency to write to pressure him. No chance of it working though. He's a total tosser, likes to think he's a mini Boris. He was only elected in December and is the most careerist guy you can think of. No way he torpedoes his career ambitions over it. He probably genuinely agrees with the Government line.

Philll likes this.
  10. Philll

Trusted

My Tory MP likes to say the reasonable thing but always, always toes the line. Yesterday he was tweeting that Cummings should "have humility" and apologise, but no need for him to resign. Hoping he gets a fire up his ass today.

AFoolsGlory likes this.
  11. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

An unelected advisor is going to be giving an address to the nation. This is absolutely unprecedented.

I'm genuinely speechless. If he makes it through this, our democracy will be unrecognisable come the next election. I'm not one to say that willy nilly either. It just proves that some people in our country are above the law. Once that's accepted, it's very hard to go back.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  12. GBlades

Trusted

I just cannot wrap my head around the process of it all. Boris stated that he acted as every father would. Well, he didn't. He should have been isolating as a household under the guidelines instead of risking further spread through his own parents and now he's being commended for it. He's also giving a speech which will no doubt be a stupid fucking apology/admittance and a hint that he's not going to do it again.

It's a mockery, an absolute mockery to those that cannot see their loved ones.

Philll and AFoolsGlory like this.
  13. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

"I did visit Durham. In hindsight it was an error of judgment, but I would do it again to protect my family as I'm sure all of you understand. The press are conducting a witch-hunt and scaring my young family. As there is now an ongoing police investigation I unfortunately cannot comment any further"

GBlades likes this.
  14. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

It's literally gaslighting the entire country. They're pretending that all along this was okay, and that 14,000 people haven't been fined for doing pretty much exactly the same thing. How are any of those fines now enforceable? Surely someone could just claim to have been acting on "natural instincts" and their own interpretation of the guidance?

Philll likes this.
  15. GBlades

Trusted

Yeah it's just a whole kick in the teeth. I got stopped at a train station coming home from work and questioned heartily for it and felt so bad yet he gets a round trip round England and not even a slap on the wrist.

Philll and AFoolsGlory like this.
  16. Philll

Trusted

What are the odds that he tries to cry? Just picturing him trying to force out a tear to show how victimised he and his family have been.

17. Iain

Regular

Anyone watch the Dominic Cummings press conference? #cumgate

18. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

Excruciating isn't it? He's going to get away with it too. The public enthusiasm for the story will go. I can't believe it.

19. Philll

Trusted

LOL

20. Iain

Regular

Twitter and Reddit were pretty funny during it. Worth looking them up.

I guess the big news is it looks like the country will begin to open up over the next few weeks.

21. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

“Hmm, my eyesight seems bad at the moment, I know what will help! I’m going to test it by getting in a car and driving 30 miles with my wife and young son that I so desire to protect... that’s the safest thing to do.”

I mean, come on! Is there any word of confirmation that it was his wife’s birthday that day or is that an unhelpful rumour?

AFoolsGlory likes this.
  22. My partner lives in Hull. He goes to work every day as he’s an essential worker. He hasn’t seen his family in months — both his sisters are immunocompromised; his elderly grandmother is staying with his mum so he’s staying away, and he just might have a socially-distanced lunch with his dad during his lunch break this week. He hasn’t seen his friends for ages, either. It’s devastating, it was bad enough when it hit us that his trip to Melbourne this month was no longer a possibility. He’s doing all the right things, and hurting like every other decent person is right now. To see this clown openly hold contempt for the British people — gaslighting the entire nation, rewriting rules for the few — is disgraceful. Fuck off, gaslighting conservative governments.

23. Tom Lee

Regular

Hi everyone. This is regarding Black Lives Matter, and the crisis happening right now particularly in the US, which is also relevant to us in the UK. There are a ton of resources on how we can help, but here's one I've drawn up today.

I've drafted a template email to send to your local MP, in order to pressure & protest the delayed report on the effect Covid-19 is having on BAME communities; in addition to calling for the government to suspend export of tear gas, rubber bullets and riot shields to the US (which has maimed and killed innocent unarmed bystanders over the last few days), and to condemn Trump and his government for the excessive force used towards peaceful demonstrators and civilians. This template is linked below. If you agree: feel free to edit & share at will.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ILtdein45eND9GuwdtAlIbyegdn7OI5sXvSCMpKJhJU

PandaBear! and Philll like this.
  24. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Thank you, this is really helpful. I will be using it to send to my MP.

Tom Lee and Philll like this.
  25. Philll

Trusted

This, folks, is the good shit