Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

UK and Europe World • Page 61

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by aranea, May 19, 2017.

1. Iain

Regular

It depends on what those are to be fair. They used a charlatan of a scientist's model to base their guidance off int he first place (Neil Ferguson). Didn't release code, no peer review, savage conclusions during his time in the foot and mouth crisis. He has now resigned due to breaching social distancing to see his 'lover'. I would say convenient timing for the government to distance themselves from him!

How has Sweden got nearly half the deaths per million than we do, but haven't locked down their country?

2. The Lucky Moose May 7, 2020
    (Last edited: May 7, 2020)
    The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

That it is business as usual in Sweden is a myth. They do have social distancing recommendations that people are following as well as some hard rules (no large gathering etc.). Stores and restaurants have way fewer customers, most people work from home etc. My country for example also did not close stores, but rather imposed social distancing rules on them and people at large. We have similar results as Sweden, whereas Belgium has (had) a way stricter lockdown but the numbers are worse. A lot of it has to do with the fact that they introduced those measures early enough, whereas the UK (or parts of it) introduced theirs too late, so they had to be stricter. It was farther ahead on the curve. Same with Italy, Spain, France and so on. Then again there are some countries that introduced pretty strict measures even though they were very early on the curve, such as New Zealand or Austria, and they are nearly free of the virus now (as long as borders remain closed at least). Which strategy is ultimately the right one depends on how long it takes to develop treatment etc.

awakeohsleeper and Philll like this.
  3. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

I've been working this whole time anyway (I work in local government & have worked one day on one day off, a "key worker" in the absolute loosest sense lol) so I have admittedly not been under as strict lockdown as many others, but a gradual lifting happening sooner rather than later is good IMO. I'd prefer it to be started once we hit 12 weeks rather that starting it next week (week 8? 9?? IDK), but honestly the majority of people will still be cautious. The bigger the town/city the tougher it will be though, with so many people all living in such close proximity, so I know I am very privileged to live in a smaller town in that regard.

4. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

I live in a relatively average sized midlands town (100k pop) and I'm worried about how quickly people will just go out and spread this virus. People have been ignoring this and not social distancing the whole time, and it will only get worse.

I have recently moved back home temporarily to care for my mum as she recovers from a majorish operation and my main concern is her getting infected.

PandaBear!, Philll and awakeohsleeper like this.
  5. Philll

Trusted

PandaBear! likes this.
  6. Philll

Trusted

Just popping by to say Boris Johnson get can fucked! :)

AFoolsGlory likes this.
  7. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Stay Alert!!!

8. Iain

Regular

SamLevi11 likes this.
  9. Philll

Trusted

Attached Files:

Tom Lee likes this.
  10. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Watching the live broadcast from the House of Commons and Boris is yammering on again. I don't know much about Keir but I'm enjoying him ripping into these bullshit plans.

11. Philll

Trusted

Are you getting a sense of what Keir's statement will look like this evening?

12. Tom Lee

Regular

Philll likes this.
  13. Iain

Regular

Furlough extended at 80%. Relieved as rumours had it at 60%

Philll likes this.
  14. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

It will be interesting what happens post-crisis with all this spending. The cynic in me thinks that with a Conservative government we'll all be paying this out in tax for generations.

15. Iain

Regular

I might be being naive, but what are the other options?

16. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

That most of the tax increases are mainly centred on huge corporations and the super rich.

Sorry, I wasn't clear when I said "we'll all be paying this out in tax for generations". The 'we' I was referring to there was the general population who are just about making enough to get by and lower - the people in the lower income tax bracket. The people who have been most impacted by 'austerity' etc. The people who have had to return to work already.

Obviously there will be some implications for everyone, but under a Conservative government I expect that will sadly adversely impact the poorest and most vulnerable.

17. Iain

Regular

I think you are right that the poorest and vulnerable will be adversely impacted. Unfortunately, I don't think there is a right answer irrespective of who the government is. Almost all roads somehow netback to impacting the poorest, unfortunately.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  18. Philll

Trusted

Christ, this is bleak

"Let them be heroes". Sickening.

19. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

What. The. Fuck.

Philll likes this.
  20. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I thought this was an interesting article in The Guardian today.

Title for those others who are interested: how will the UK dig itself out of a £300bn coronavirus hole?

21. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

Feel sick reading the news this morning. Cummings travels 250+ miles, with symptoms, to visit family. And yet it's being defended as essential. You have the BBC spouting from "sources" (*cough* Cummings himself *cough*) that it was fine and allowed.

I've not seen my family for 9 weeks, not seen my girlfriend for 9 weeks, people have not been able to attend their parents funerals, but Cummings and the Government think it's fine and essential to travel that distance for that reason? How many people did he infect at petrol stations on the way up?

I'm just absolutely fuming. One rule for them, another for us.

awakeohsleeper, Wharf Rat and Philll like this.
  22. Philll

Trusted

Yeah, seeing all the ministers flocking to Twitter to say "this was just a man caring for his family, stop politicising it" is putting me in a rage.

It's my daughters first birthday tomorrow and none of our family and friends will be celebrating with us.

People have had to miss funerals, been unable to say goodbye to loved ones.

This government does not give the slightest shit about people. They are every bit as cynical and narcissistic as you could ever imagine.

23. AFoolsGlory May 23, 2020
    (Last edited: May 23, 2020)
    AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

Absolutely. Matt Hancock was rendered "speechless" about Neil Ferguson. A man who was not ill, and invited a single other adult who also was not ill to his house. Edit - to be clear, I'm not defending Ferguson here. I'm more trying to make the point of consistency.

Cummings left his own house, travelled 250+ miles, presumably stopped for petrol at some point, and also took his family with him.

And yet now Hancock is saying it is "entirely right" for Cummings to have done that.

The whole thing absolutely stinks. Part of me thinks there's no way he can survive this, surely? Once an Advisor becomes the story, it's game over like usual, surely? But deep down I know he'll survive.

awakeohsleeper, Wharf Rat and Philll like this.
  24. Philll

Trusted

Yeah you've just got to look at all the mps (and BBC journalists!) going to bat for him. He won't feel any need to bend to public outrage.

Wharf Rat and AFoolsGlory like this.
  25. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

At the end of the day, even if he is forced to resign, he'll be back in Government before BoJo's term is up. That's what always happens. Go away for a few months till it dies down, then have a cushy job back. Happened with Amber Rudd, happened with Gavin Williamson, it'll happen with Cummings.