UK and Europe World • Page 56

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by lightning13, May 19, 2017.

1. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Missed opportunity not calling a motion of no confidence in this government Monday/yesterday.

2. Wharf Rat

goin where the climate suits my clothes Supporter

I think this is pretty likely... but if the vote is too close May will just resign. And then do they have to call a general if they just want to replace her? Don't remember

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  3. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

If she resigns there will be a Conservative leadership election (just like if she loses a Conservative MP vote of confidence). There's no obligation to call a general election for a new leader (ie. when Gordon Brown took over from Blair). However I'd argue in this Brexit stalemate mess it is pretty unavoidable and I would expect a new PM to lead to a General Election.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  4. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  5. Wharf Rat

damn we're never gonna get the MOGG now

6. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

7. Wharf Rat

Oh, they were talking about calling the vote themselves. That makes more sense

8. Wharf Rat

when you're very smart and good at reading charts and graphs

Richter915 likes this.
  9. Wharf Rat

im here for this shit

10. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

Richter915 and Wharf Rat like this.
  11. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Everyone said she'd be gone by Christmas after last year's election. How many times have we expected her demise? Yet she's still hanging in there. I know it's more out of necessity than popularity, but trying to take a more neutral position, it is quite astounding.

Still can't stand her.

Richter915 likes this.
  12. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

13. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

Wharf Rat likes this.
  14. Wharf Rat

15. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

aliens exist likes this.
  16. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

17. DarkHotline

Anthony Prestigious

18. Wharf Rat

More like Theresa May Not

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  19. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Can't see her losing tonight. It's ridiculous how she's still clinging on even though no one likes her. But better for the Tories to have her then have an election and risk a Corbyn government.

This is such a mess. Can't see any way out of it.

20. Philll

Regular

Yeah, I feel that Corbyn was right to call the vote of no confidence, but there's no way that the Tories are gonna risk ceding power.

21. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I've actually lost a bit of respect for Corbyn over the last few months culminating when he did that stupid no confidence motion in December which didn't mean anything because it wasn't a vote of confidence like today. It was just pointless. I'm also frustrated with the tightrope he has walked. I get that he wants to leave but his lack of leadership, particularly when a huge chunk of Labour support wants another referendum, has been disheartening. He could have done a lot better. The fact that several times in the last two years in this thread several of us have prematurely heralded the end of May shows that he hasn't capitalised on a weak government as effectively as he could have.

It's fascinating anyway. I never have a clue what's going to happen anymore. A thrill for the politics geek within me, but scary when I remember it severely impacts my life (and particularly my wife's small business).

Wharf Rat likes this.
  22. Wharf Rat Jan 16, 2019 at 4:51 AM
    (Last edited: Jan 16, 2019 at 5:01 AM)
    Wharf Rat

I think no vote of no confidence is ever going to have a chance so long as the best and most viable alternative to May for parliamentary Tories is Mogg... Too many of them hate that guy, won't kill May to elevate him.

This is their best shot yet though I think at toppling her. The only way any deal is happening is if May moves her red lines or is replaced by someone who will...

23. Wharf Rat

The strategic perplexity of the Left on Brexit | Richard Seymour on Patreon

I don't know what a second vote would really accomplish...I *really* don't see how it helps Labour win anything. Virtually no one is in a good place here, lol

24. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  25. Wharf Rat