Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

UK and Europe World • Page 53

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by aranea, May 19, 2017.

1. Philll

Trusted

I don't know that I understand what the strategic benefit would be for the tories at this point. Brexit is clearly not going at all well so surely they put themselves at massive risk by exposing themselves right now, but as @Wharf Rat says, I wouldn't want Labour taking all that on so close to the end of the deal either. Seems like it would be lose-lose.

awakeohsleeper and Wharf Rat like this.
  2. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

Whole country really having a normal one today

OdranWaldo likes this.
  3. lightning

Thousands square off in Berlin far-right rally and counter demos

4. Wharf Rat

OdranWaldo likes this.
  5. OdranWaldo

Brendan Rodgers Young Team Prestigious

Wharf Rat likes this.
  6. Wharf Rat

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  7. Philll

Trusted

8. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

Wharf Rat likes this.
  9. lightning

Zac Djamoos likes this.
  10. Wharf Rat

Huge shouts out to Boris Johnson for ending his political career

Zac Djamoos and Philll like this.
  11. clucky

Trusted Supporter

does this actually end him? Or does it just position him to let May take the fall for Brexit poorly (even though his plans would make it worse) and then he can come back and be like "remember me?"

stars143 likes this.
  12. Wharf Rat

i mean how is he gonna come back? he's not gonna win any leadership election. I guess whoever does could re-appoint him to another ministerial position but the only reason he was there in the first place was to appease a faction of the tory party that has been severely weakened since he was appointed, so...

Philll likes this.
  13. Wharf Rat

And, to whatever extent that wing of the party will continue to demand cabinet representation, there will certainly be dozens of better candidates for those positions than that moron

there is a 0% chance eg The Mogg appoints Boris

14. Philll

Trusted

God as much as I hate May a Mogg PMship would be so much worse

15. Wharf Rat

I mean in terms of his actual policies, absolutely. In terms of his ability to unify the party, win elections, be competent...? Maybe not.

Er, to be clear, he would be worse at those things too, but that would be good for opponents of the tories if he was bad at those things

Philll likes this.
  16. Wharf Rat

I mean do you really think anyone's gonna vote for Postman Pat But Racist?

[​IMG] upload_2018-7-9_11-40-50.jpeg

17. Wharf Rat

throwback monday

[​IMG]

18. Wharf Rat

oh my god they made jeremy hunt the foreign secretary

19. Philll

Trusted

Just catching up with it all properly, what an almighty shitshow.

I mean thank god Hunt is no longer health secretary, but they'll surely find someone as reprehensible.

I'm just angry at this whole fucking thing. The entire process has been so undemocratic, singularly a tool for a bunch of sociopathic tories to try to advance they're own careers, and we just have to take it. Fuck them all.

ugman_2000 and Wharf Rat like this.
  20. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

Philll and ugman_2000 like this.
  21. ugman_2000 Jul 9, 2018
    (Last edited: Jul 9, 2018)
    ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

Honestly this Tory government is almost beyond parody at this point. At least he's finally away from the NHS though. Although like Philll said, some other reprehensible tory will step in to tear it apart.

Looks like we're most likely going to be having either another General Election or Referendum, I'd lean more on a new GE happening though. I'm honestly a bit scared of what might happen if May goes and they have another GE. Rees-Mogg is a scary individual and as much as I like Corbyn, with his Brexit stance I'm still not confident that Labour would win it.

Wharf Rat and Philll like this.
  22. Philll

Trusted

Yeah, as @Wharf Rat said a while ago, I'd rather avoid a GE and make the tories wear this whole fucking mess.

Wharf Rat and ugman_2000 like this.
  23. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

My guess is any election will come after the Brexit deadline passes and will functionally serve as a referendum on the deal agreed (if a deal has been agreed) or will be the result of a no deal situation that means the government collapses.

I think May will hang on until March as a leadership contest could sink the Brexit negotiations and I don’t think the Hard Brexiteers want that even though they do ultimately want her gone.

Wharf Rat, ugman_2000 and Philll like this.
  24. OdranWaldo

Brendan Rodgers Young Team Prestigious

right well uh time for a united ireland anyway

Wharf Rat likes this.
  25. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious