Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

UK and Europe World • Page 47

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by aranea, May 19, 2017.

1. lightning

Zac Djamoos and OdranWaldo like this.
  2. Whatjuliansaid

News on once the clouds are gone. Prestigious

So is merkel gonna win in a landslide or are those polls bad too?

3. lightning

Wharf Rat likes this.
  4. lightning

5. lightning

fame likes this.
  6. Whatjuliansaid

So shocked...

storm and fame like this.
  7. Whatjuliansaid

Merkel lost a lot of seats like macron, supposedly.

8. Whatjuliansaid

Jelly

storm, skogsraet, Wharf Rat and 2 others like this.
  9. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

Any good writeups of how Corbyn has changed the structure of the labour party? Seems like he's solidified the left wing's power in the party - allowed quicker changes of party rules, and then changed a bunch of party rules like lowering the number of MPs required to support to get on a leadership ballot, increasing the portion of MPs to remove a leader, adding another deputy leader that would have to be a woman, forcing the general secretary to stand for election, etc. Any outlines of this stuff?

10. Whatjuliansaid

Wharf Rat and Letterbomb31 like this.
  11. lightning

12. lightning

13. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

14. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

ugman_2000 and Wharf Rat like this.
  15. OdranWaldo

Brendan Rodgers Young Team Prestigious

jeremy corbyn is the prime minister

Wharf Rat likes this.
  16. lightning

"The Spanish attorney general said on Monday that Carles Puigdemont, the former Catalan leader, and other top regional officials should be prosecuted for rebellion after illegally declaring independence from Spain.

The attorney general, José Manuel Maza, stopped short of ordering the immediate arrest of Mr. Puigdemont and other separatist leaders in Catalonia, instead saying he wanted to “urgently” prosecute 20 politicians and ordering them to appear in court in Madrid in the coming days.

Judges will now decide when to summon Mr. Puigdemont and others, and whether to charge them with rebellion, as well as sedition and misuse of public funds, for organizing and holding an independence referendum on Oct. 1 that had been declared illegal by the Spanish government and courts."

Catalonia Leaders Face Rebellion Charges After Declaring Independence

17. Jamie Dagg

Master of not knowing what the hell I'm doing.

Hey all, long time no posting.

Anyone seen the list of 36 Tories listed as harassing various people/the Labour rape case? I've got a lot of thoughts and it's taking me a while to process it all but the political point scoring is really sickening and is taking away from the real issue of a) eradicating sexual assault and b) allowing victims to report against abuse with as little restraint as possible.

Philll likes this.
  18. Philll

Trusted

Yeah I've been keeping an vague eye on it and there's a lot of bad takes going round. Seems like some of the more innocuous reports about 'touching knees' seem to be grabbing the headlines and allowing commentators to brush it all under the carpet.

If these guys were in any other job the employer would have to suspend them pending further investigation. But they're tory MPs, so May will just let it slide.

19. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

You are totally right - anywhere else and there would be suspensions.

I just saw this video on BBC from PMQs today... but why is it not substantial news anywhere? I don't understand why a bigger deal isn't being made of a lot of this stuff.

20. Philll

Trusted

Just saw that Michael Fallon has resigned! Apparently saying that his behaviour in the past "may have fallen short". I guess that's the best attempt at contrition you'll find from the conservative party.

21. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

22. Jamie Dagg

Master of not knowing what the hell I'm doing.

This statement really seems to show no remorse. Deflects any calls to make an apology. Seems to me to either indicate that he was forced out rather than viewing it as the right thing to do (which is probably a given) or that he's just being used as a scapegoat, or both.

23. OdranWaldo

Jamie Dagg and fame like this.
  24. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

It makes me so angry that this is an appropriate thing to say. It also makes me angry that this kind of thing was considered 'acceptable' 10-15 years ago. It should never have been considered acceptable. We have treated and continue to treat women so poorly. I'm really sorry.

Philll likes this.
  25. OdranWaldo

Philll, ugman_2000 and Zac Djamoos like this.