Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

UK and Europe World • Page 44

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by aranea, May 19, 2017.

1. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

2. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  3. OdranWaldo

Brendan Rodgers Young Team Prestigious

awakeohsleeper and Letterbomb31 like this.
  4. OdranWaldo

Brendan Rodgers Young Team Prestigious

JC is 100% correct about the SNP but he really needs to address the flaming disaster that is Scottish Labour before he starts talking about unnecessary referendums

Dominick and awakeohsleeper like this.
  5. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

6. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

Thread

OdranWaldo, Wharf Rat and Dominick like this.
  7. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

8. Wharf Rat

i wasn't going to post this but holy shit look at his fucking face

9. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Think Labour/Corbyn have been clever with these amendments to the Queen's Speech. Yesterday's obviously failed but it caused a lot of confusion with the Conservatives ('we will think about the 1% cap' then 'we haven't changed policy' etc.)

Today's seems even better. By calling for a "job's first Brexit" (whatever that means, ha) they're really challenging a lot of Conservative MPs who are on record as calling for that. They either vote with their party and look very silly (why are you voting against jobs?!) or they rebel and vote for the amendment embarrassing May, undermining her authority. Who knows what consequences will come from that...

I expect that Labour will lose the vote like yesterday but I think they've done a good job overall.

Letterbomb31 and Wharf Rat like this.
  10. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

11. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Great article and totally agree about the Conservative agenda. It's dangerous and scary and was a big fear before the election for me. I'm still not sure what a 'jobs first Brexit' would look like in terms of the EU - particularly when Labour had to leave the single market / customs union in their manifesto. What they've said today about getting the 'same benefits' from them despite leaving them doesn't seem as realistic if the EU play hard. We shall see! But on the main thrust of that article I totally agree and I'm pleased an empowered Labour are standing up and exposing that underlying agenda.

Letterbomb31 likes this.
  12. Letterbomb31 Jun 29, 2017
    (Last edited: Jun 29, 2017)
    Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

I agree with what you're saying. I think the idea is that it would have been better to start the negotiations from that position, even if it is a little vague/unrealistic, rather than going into them exclaiming "no deal is better than a bad deal" over and over as May has done.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  13. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Yes please! Can't believe that no deal being an option is something people have bought into!

Letterbomb31 likes this.
  14. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

Thread

15. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

:/

16. Philll

Trusted

Anyone who claims confidence in her is entirely disingenuous.

17. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

18. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Three Labour frontbenchers have been sacked for defying Jeremy Corbyn and backing a call for the UK to stay in the single market after Brexit.

Although I'd personally prefer to be in the single market, it was definitely not in the Labour manifesto - they made gains in the election but that was not what they promised. Why did so many of their MPs call for this and defy the whip?

I've got to be honest, I don't understand the Parliamentary Labour Party. After a positive election where Corbyn proves his worth as a leader you would think that they would have come together. Seeing that three shadow ministers have been sacked and one has resigned because they supported this is just sad. Just when you think they were actually showing some effective opposition. When they should be pushing this minority government who are lead by a party that divides itself over Europe, suddenly it's Labour getting its knickers in a twist and splitting apart. Disappointing to say the least.

It is an odd one because I would prefer to stay in the single market and I think what the Labour party leadership are calling for ("the same benefits") doesn't fully make sense to me at this stage (I don't know how it will work in practice), but I'd still like to see a united front. Which is what got from the Conservatives/DUP and, would you know it, the Queen's Speech got passed and the only concession was the abortion policy. The frontbenchers could have abstained. They chose not to.

19. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

20. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

Great thread on Brexit:

21. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

22. Wharf Rat

Macron and Merkel are right wingers

23. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum