Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

U2 Band • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by AJ Earhart, Mar 31, 2016.

1. y2jayjk

Trusted Prestigious

Song for Someone just came on in my work bathroom

SUCH A JAM.

2. Paddy

// _ _ _ _ _ _ _ //

Yeah, Atomic Bomb is on a different level to Horizon. Sometimes You Can't Make It is an incredible song and there are other strong tracks too; City of Blinding Lights one of my favourites, Miracle Drug is ok, Yahweh etc. Just as a whole it doesn't do it for me.

3. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I think it took me a long time to enjoy that album as a whole. The highlights just overshadowed the rest for me. I think I like every track on there now, though. There's a charm to hearing them just make a loud rock record.

4. RoKKeR May 14, 2016
    (Last edited: May 14, 2016)
    RoKKeR

The Fly

After being a lurker of absolutepunk for many years, I figured I'd restart my account and would swing by the thread for my favorite band.

If anybody's interested, they announced that the Live from Paris DVD will be released on June 10: U2 Official Store | U2ie Live In Paris (this was an incredible show that came a few weeks after the attacks in Paris)

Edit: Regarding the talk on the last page about chasing singles... yeah, it's pretty clear that they still want the big radio hit, something they haven't had since Vertigo. Song for Someone was actually probably their most successful song in terms of radio play since the Vertigo era, (don't quote me on that) but I just don't think it's in the cards for them. Adam mentioned something last year about getting to the stage in their career where they just make music and tour for their huge audience of dedicated fans and stop worrying about chasing hits... I hope that pans out at some point.

Two other things I figured I'd share.

1)
    - Snippets of new music, presumably from Songs of Experience, starting at 4:00.

2)
    - One of my favorite B-sides that just came on shuffle. Came with Angel of Harlem, incredible track.

5. Craig Manning

That concert film is going to be incredible.

6. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

This is going to sound weird probably, but I never caught the Lou Reed influence on Bono before. It jumped out at me at the opening of "Running to Stand Still"

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  7. y2jayjk

Trusted Prestigious

need a new album and tour asap.

Tim likes this.
  8. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

With current track record, it could be a while, lol.

9. Craig Manning

Songs of Experience is like done I think. I'm guessing it comes out next year, though. I think they wanted to give themselves some time off. It could end up being a holiday season release, though. Who knows.

10. y2jayjk

Trusted Prestigious

Itcouldbeawhiiiiiiiile

11. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of if you will. Seriously though, I have Rattle and Hum on now and "All I Want Is You" is such a phenomenal song.

12. Craig Manning

One of my top five songs from them.

13. cshadows2887

I thought for sure I would get validation from you on my Lou Reed lightning bolt. I'm needy, man! Lol

14. Craig Manning

Ha, when I saw it, it had been awhile since the post! But yes, I absolutely agree. I had never been quite able to put my finger on what/who that song reminded me of, since it's so unique in their catalog. Never thought of Lou Reed until you posted that.

15. cshadows2887

It just seems like such an incongruous connection, but there it is. Haha. Makes you wish Bono had a little more time to mess around with what he could do before they became The Biggest Band in the World and his voice became a brand

16. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

You've heard this right

17. cshadows2887

RoKKeR and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  18. RoKKeR

The Fly

So good! They also covered it once on their tour last year. A recorded version is also included in the deluxe version of Achtung Baby.

19. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

20. cshadows2887

It's alright. It's alright. Allllllll right.

Tim likes this.
  21. RoKKeR

The Fly

Things are happening. We've got our first "beach clip", a long-running treat for U2 fans.

Beach Clip Long - Clyp - Some people are speculating this may be a remix of whatever the original track is, but either way that chorus has been stuck in my head since the moment I heard it.

Lots of talk about things happening in late September to coincide with the 40th anniversary.

22. y2jayjk

Trusted Prestigious

I loved the clip with the dog. I'm so fucking excited for a tour.

23. Barcara

Regular

These guys are the top of my concert bucket list.

Since we're on the topic of late-career standouts, I'd like to offer up Moment of Surrender and Cedars of Lebanon from Innocence, as well as Original of the Species from Atomic and New York from ATYCLB as tracks I really enjoy.

24. RoKKeR

The Fly

25. Craig Manning

Holy shit.

RoKKeR likes this.