Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

U2 Band • Page 11

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by AJ Earhart, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

anonimito and phaynes12 like this.
  2. Craig Manning

Guys, this album is good.

3. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

bold take but I do agree

they're still crazy for leaving Hold On To Love and Sweetest Thing off it tho

4. Craig Manning

I'm pretty adamant about "The Sweetest Thing" not fitting on that album at all, good as it is.

awakeohsleeper and anonimito like this.
  5. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

anonimito likes this.
  6. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Bono really starting to look his age

Phantoms likes this.
  7. RoKKeR

The Fly

Actually think he looks pretty good here, especially amidst all the health issues of recent years!

Seems like they are gearing up for stuff but it’s still a way out. The 40 re-arranged songs to go with the book, the rock album, songs of ascent (lol), I hope they get cooking on it soon, it’s been too long!

Brent, Ferrari333SP, Zilla and 3 others like this.
  8. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Gets me excited for more U Talking U2 To Me when Adam Scott isn’t shooting “Severance” and Scott Aukerman isn’t busy raising a child.

9. Rowan5215

man the things I'd do for the original Songs of Ascent they recorded alongside NLOTH. I know it will never be released, just makes me want it more

Phantoms, coleslawed and Brother Beck like this.
  10. Craig Manning

The number 1 thing that would help this band right now would be to stop fussing over things. Empty the vaults, put out lost records, make a “loud rock album” quickly. I’m in the minority that loves Songs of Experience, but it looks weaker in retrospect just given the fact that it’s now had to bear half a decade and counting of ensuing inactivity.

11. Rowan5215

they've been overcooking stuff since Atomic Bomb honestly. love em to bits, but any band who records a song like "Mercy", takes it off their album and never releases it apart from an absolutely gutted live version a decade on is their own worst enemy

they've always a needed a Lanois/Eno type producer with a strong voice to push back on their insane choices as much as cultivate their good ones really

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  12. Barcara

Regular

A music critic pod I listen to (shoutout to Indiecast) recently referred to The 1975 as "zoomer U2" ("millenial U2" is reserved for Coldplay) and I can definitely agree with the sentiments above about hopes for their next approach.

After the release of Notes on a Conditional Form, and the hit and miss nature of it, all I wanted was back to basic record from them, and was very happy to get that this year. Who knows where they go now?

Would love another ATYCLB/Bomb from U2 next. I think the Songs records match that aesthetic in sound, but the scope and rollout was nutty for both.

13. Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

I posted this somewhere else but U2 got spoiled by the mainstream accepting their experiments (save for Pop) as well as warmly embracing them well into their 40's when they did their back to basics records (ATYCLB/Bomb) so it makes sense that they were still super thirsty for relevance on their recent albums. Seems like they've begun to accept their status as a heritage act which might suit them better artistically.

Barcara likes this.
  14. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

15. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

16. Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

Oh boy...are those songs from their 2014 and 2017 releases redone or songs from the entire catalog?

17. Craig Manning

Pretty sure it's every song that gets a chapter in Bono's book reimagined.

anonimito likes this.
  18. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

So nothing new, like no songs from the long-rumored Songs of Ascent or anything like that...???

19. Skinkie

Regular

No. Its songs from across their career re-recorded (supposedly to sound quite different) as a pandemic project to tie in with Bono’s book. Rumor is there’s an album of new stuff coming soon too

Brother Beck likes this.
  20. Craig Manning

No, nothing new here unfortunately. Maybe in six years they'll finish another album...

Brother Beck likes this.
  21. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Huge bummer. I'll definitely listen to this but I don't think it's in the cards to buy something like this from them right now.

22. Rowan5215

honestly I'll take this over nothing, could be pretty cool actually

Songs of Ascent ain't never comin out lol

Brother Beck likes this.
  23. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I didn't think it was gonna be a whole new album, but something about the naming scheme "Songs of ______ " made me think maybe it would be some of the castoffs that didn't make any of those albums. Songs like "Mercy" for example.

Rowan5215 likes this.
  24. Rowan5215

lol fair enough, the fact that they wrote The New Album and crossed it out is just teasing us lmao

it's absolutely wild to me they never released "Mercy", truly baffling

Brother Beck likes this.
  25. Barcara

Regular

40 songs is a lot! Interested to hear but wish it was Songs of Ascent instead.

At least we'll get a new UTU2TM to go with it haha.