Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

U2 - Songs Of Experience (December 1, 2017) Album • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Wow. This is really damn good. It really is impressive that a band 41 years into their career still have an album like this in them.

A few of the lead-off singles are really, really weak, and I can't see this album convincing anyone who doesn't like them to suddenly hop on the bandwagon now - but I also can't see someone who is even a passing fan of the band not finding a whole lot to like here.

And I know it's really early, but The Little Things That Give You Away certainly feels like its right up there with the best of their songs.

TJ Wells likes this.
  2. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I still like the lead singles. I think “Best Thing” and “Get out of Your Own Way” are both a lot better than “The Miracle” or either of the poppy singles from No Line. They aren’t the highlights, but I won’t skip them when they come on.

3. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I haven't had a chance to really sit down and listen to this yet but I did listen to each song. None of the singles really grabbed my attention at all whereas something special stood out to me about pretty much every other song on first listen. I am definitely going to spend a lot more time with this. It just struck me overall as a very solid album period, nevermind one coming from a band at this point in their career.

4. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

New "U Talkin' U2 2 Me?" to commemorate SOE, too!

5. Craig Manning

This might be more exciting than the actual album.

SteveLikesMusic likes this.
  6. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

Not bad. Much more pop and dance-y than I expected. Perhaps I read too much into the Innocence/Experience titles, but I was expecting a more ambient, introspective record like Horizon or what "The Little Things Give You Away" suggested.

7. Barcara Nov 30, 2017
    (Last edited: Nov 30, 2017)
    Barcara

Regular

First listen, here we go.

E: Love is Bigger Than Anything in it's Way is the first spin favourite.

8. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Halfway through my first listen and I'm so indifferent towards this. It's not actively bad and there's some good ideas, but I can't see myself revisiting this in any meaningful way.

The Kendrick song was better on Kendrick's album haha.

9. quietwords

RIP EmoPunkKid28: 2002-2016 Prestigious

10. Craig Manning

I seriously love this album (review later today, I think), so take my words here as a grain of salt, but that review is trash. Guy missed the point of the record in such epic fashion that I'd be surprised if he listened to it more than once.

I used to love the AV Club, but it's been at least three or four years since I read anything over there that I thought was particularly good.

TJ Wells likes this.
  11. quietwords

RIP EmoPunkKid28: 2002-2016 Prestigious

I've definitely noticed a dip in quality over there, too. I still tend to check them out, though. Habits, I guess.

12. mike1885

Trusted Supporter

Decent on first listen. Hoping it will grow on me. I loved the beginning, kind of dropped off in the middle, and ended well. It felt long too, but that might just be because I was listening to the deluxe.

Now, on to Glassjaw.

13. Craig Manning

Their music review section was, let's be honest, never that good. But I used to read a bunch of their TV recaps for shows I watch. Even those started to leave something to be desired.

14. Skinkie

Regular

A bunch of their writers left a few years ago. Really took the whole place down a bit

15. dadbolt

Prestigious Prestigious

loving the guitar tone on Lights of Home.

16. Blaine Ryan

Um. I kind of agree completely with that review. I don’t think this is an “insufferable” record by any means (haven’t formed much of an opinion yet, really) but he’s dead on about their career trajectory and the underlying problem with their recent stuff (“giving too many fucks”).

It’s also nice to see a reviewer acknowledge the ‘90’s records as a creative peak.

17. Craig Manning

I fundamentally disagree with the suggestion that it’s a bad thing to give a fuck.

18. Craig Manning

But then I don’t really care for the 90s stuff all that much. Love Achtung Baby, and about half of Pop and half of Zooropa. By far my least listened to era of the band’s stuff, though. I think there are way more all-timer songs on each of the post-2000s records than on either of the post-Achtung 90s albums.

TJ Wells likes this.
  19. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Hey Bonobos what's your give a fuck style

20. Craig Manning

beachdude42, RoKKeR, Aregala and 2 others like this.
  21. Blaine Ryan

I do agree that the AV Club used to be a lot more fun to read.

22. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

The av Club redesign is a nightmare

23. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  24. Craig Manning

25. dadbolt

Prestigious Prestigious

Craig Manning likes this.