Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

U2 - Songs Of Experience (December 1, 2017) Album • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Inna Selez

Regular

Talking about new song, it's pretty good. Taking into account that I'm not their fan.

2. SVXDan83

Regular

<insert obligatory joke about this album being giving away with an iOS update> :-)

3. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I am really not looking forward to reading the reviews for this album. Critics are horrible at writing about U2. Songs of Innocence was probably my single least favorite batch of music-related hot takes this decade, and there have been some bad ones.

4. Skinkie

Regular

That seemed to stem from everyone racing to release a review the instant it was released and just talking about the way it was released instead, with the music a complete after thought. A shame because Songs of Innocence is pretty great

jpmalone4 and RoKKeR like this.
  5. Barcara

Regular

Now that is some high quality rock and roll music.

6. Barcara

Regular

Kendrick’s bit sounds like it’s not quite over to me.

I suspect it might go into the next song which would be the full version of the XXX jam they said they’d be releasing? Maybe. I dunno.

7. RoKKeR

The Fly

Yeah, it's all a bit ridiculous. Hopefully they will just focus on the music this time. The reviews for SOI were basically reviews of how the album was released. Not that reviews really matter all that much for U2 at this point in this career, but still.

I don't know, maybe I'm just an over-the-top fan (I definitely am) but I'm liking the new songs. Get Out of Your Own way is a great pop tune with a big lift in the chorus that feels Beautiful Day-esque. (while not quite reaching those heights) Blackout is a great rocker that has a lot more depth and intrigue than something like The Miracle. Plus, the section from 3:45 to the end is just an awesome build. Can't wait to hear that one live.

And yes Barcara, it transitions into American Soul, which has the refrain that was on XXX.

Barcara likes this.
  8. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

I’m curious too. I will say fully that I’ve never been a huge u2 fan, but the podcast really helped me get into them a bit. That album did nothing for me, but I loved the first single for this. It’s basically what I look for in a u2 song, even if it is a bit boilerplate

9. Craig Manning

I just feel like a lot of people love to pile on with this band, and I don't really understand why. Even their weakest stuff isn't like offense in any regard.

I really like what we've heard so far. It sounds like we'll land somewhere between All That You Can't Leave Behind and How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, sonically. I'm fine with that.

10. Barcara

Regular

Oh man American Soul is just killer. Might be favourite so far and I really like the other three.

11. RoKKeR

The Fly

We are getting close! Less than two weeks away, can't believe it.

Also, the band will have an hour long BBC feature later this month, as well as an appearance on SNL on December 2nd. Sounds like the promo activities are really ramping up.

And finally, a few words from Bono about his near-death experience last year, which we still don't know much about but was apparently incredibly serious:

Would have never guessed based on how active they've been this year, and how he appears to be doing just fine. Wonder if we'll ever learn what it was.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  12. Craig Manning

Saving a spot for this on my EOTY list.

13. mike1885

Trusted Supporter

I like all 4 songs released so far, with American Soul and Blackout probably being my favorites. Nothing has blown me away from it. I'll be fine with with an album full of solid songs like these, but hoping for at least a couple that become all time U2 favorites for me, like Magnificent or Every Breaking Wave from the past couple albums.

14. RoKKeR

The Fly

Still really excited to hear the studio version of this song. I think this is the closest they've come to capturing the magic of a classic U2 song since Moment of Surrender. The build towards the end is great, and when Edge finally lets loose on guitar it takes the song to a new level. Surprised it didn't end up being the closing track on the album.

beachdude42 and jpmalone4 like this.
  15. Skinkie

Regular

I was mad that they were playing that at pretty much every show in the Joshua Tree tour, but skipped my show.

16. RoKKeR

The Fly

Yeah, I loved hearing it live. Very strange choice to end a show that was almost purely old songs, but I like that they did it and it clearly means a lot to the band, as did Moment of Surrender back on the 360 tour that closed every show.

17. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

That video of them performing "The Little Things That Give You Away" is absolutely incredible. If the album version can capture some of that then it has a chance of being a new classic for them. That video has me pretty excited to finally hear this album again.

RoKKeR likes this.
  18. RoKKeR

The Fly

Well, the album is out there in the wild. Had the opportunity to spin through it a few times on my plane ride home. In short, it's really damn good and I am equal parts thrilled and amazed that a band 41 years into their career can still put out an album as dynamic, fresh, and varied as this one. The tracks they've released so far (sans Blackout) are the weakest part of the album. (but still serviceable, IMO) The rest of the album explores new sonic territory for the band, with fantastic and light melodies crafted around darker/personal/reflective lyrics surely inspired by Bono's brush with mortality last year.

It feels more varied and deliberate than Songs of Innocence, and is much more dynamic. (I like SOI, but the production on that album left much of it feeling very similar) Still digesting it all, but I think it's really damn good. I can't wait for Craig's review.

Oh, and Little Things That Give You Away is a late career classic, quickly becoming one of my all time favorite U2 tracks. The studio version adds more textures and depth to the song, I just can't get over how good it is.

Barcara, beachdude42 and Skinkie like this.
  19. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Yeah I just gave this a first listen and as a casual fan, I'm really impressed. Best album that I've heard from them in a very long time.

RoKKeR likes this.
  20. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

The Little Things is such a great track. Really beautiful.

RoKKeR likes this.
  21. mike1885

Trusted Supporter

Ugh, I want to hear this so badly. I'm trying to wait until Friday.

22. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I'm with you. Looking forward to getting it then.

23. Craig Manning

First impression is that it has fewer immediate highlights than Songs of Innocence, but is a lot better on the production front. I'm fucking glad they let The Edge turn his amps back up.

24. Craig Manning

The Kygo version of "Best Thing" is ghastly.

25. mirrorsandfevers

what is the vibe?

Excited to hear the new album. I saw them earlier this year and it was hands down one of the most impressive shows I've seen. Beck was OK.