Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Tyler, the Creator - Flower Boy (July 21, 2017) Album • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by btr, Jul 6, 2017.

1. btr

Trusted Supporter

Contender likes this.
  2. Scum Fuck Flower Boy is such a perfect title though

3. And isn't that on the front of the album cover?

batmansgrapple likes this.
  4. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I'm still calling it Scum Cuck Flower Boy

Joe4th, Zac Djamoos, Robk and 2 others like this.
  5. I think that's the alternate artwork but yeah

6. One cover is the front of the CD and the other cover is the back of the CD

7. I like "Flower Boy" more than "Scum Fuck Flower Boy" but that also feels like a label move to avoid having the word "fuck" in the title for ads and what not.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  8. fronkensteen

Trusted

Your avatar is amazing. Can you post a link to the full image?

Aaron Mook likes this.
  9. Hmmm, an album was posted on my Facebook wall but it's not working when I try to link it. Maybe I can figure it out once I'm out of work.

There's also covers for Loveless, Transatlanticism, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, The Money Store, Deja Entendu, You'd Prefer A(Hot Dog)n Astronaut, Floral Shoppe, Harmlessness, Late Registration, DAMN. and More Life

10. fronkensteen

Trusted

Tight, looking forward for the link! Thanks!

11. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Also the banner image on the Twitter account from which he sent that tweet, and the pinned tweet on his feed lol

Aaron Mook likes this.
  12. With all of the positive comments in here, I'm really looking forward to checking this out tomorrow.

13. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

This is so great. I'm going to listen to this so much the rest of this summer. Hits hard.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  14. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

15. Owlex

free snewt Prestigious

Alright yeah, I'm getting the hype for this. His flow on November is so nice holy shit

Snewt, ECV and Aaron Mook like this.
  16. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

Wow this album is incredible

ECV likes this.
  17. algae

Regular Prestigious

I can't believe no rapper in 2017 is playing around

Contender, Signifire and ECV like this.
  18. Wrote a little stream of conscious text to my friend about why I love this album so much and it ended up being super long. Lol. Posting here in case anyone cares.

I think what's so impressive about this album to me is that Tyler didn't need to make it. This is the guy who literally, truly built a multi-million dollar merchandise empire on overpriced socks sold to dumb suburban kids who liked his shock raps. On November he even says "Last year in total I put out two verses / but five seven figures since then, life's kinda perfect" and on Who Dat Boy he says "Fuck the raps, I'm trying to own a planet from my other fucking business ventures," and we get the idea that Tyler would rather be doing just about anything other than rapping to sustain himself. But instead of just pumping out t-shirts and signing more multi-million dollar deals with clothing companies, he wrote and released his most personal and vulnerable album by a colossal margin. I think that speaks to the human desire to be *understood,* and I think that’s why the record is so good. It's where Garden Shed comes in, at least. In coming out, he's not trying to explain or rationalize the things he's said in the past, and he's not trying to atone either, he just wants to be understood. That's what I mean when I say that this album contextualizes his entire career differently. He's always been "the loudest one in the room" because he felt so god damn lonely and misunderstood. And while being misunderstood is a universal fear, the pressure of actually *being* understood, which in Tyler's case means being honest about his sexuality, is so terrifyingly intimate and real that he's "dancing to throw em off," because making a caricature of the misunderstood impression of yourself is easier than being honest sometimes. That's why he's so down on rapping on those two lyrics I brought up earlier. When he's playing the character of Rapper Tyler The Creator, he's like a sad clown figure, painfully misunderstood and depressed but dancing and trying to make everyone else laugh at him, creating a human connection for a fraction of the validation that comes with being truly, unequivocally understood. I think that's how Who Dat Boy fits into the context of the album lyrically. It's basically a brag rap track about how he's dripping in swag with Rocky who's probably the best brag rapper out right now. But at the end we get that glimpse of something hiding underneath:

"Fuck global warming, my neck is so frío
    I'm currently lookin' for '95 Leo
    My mom say she worried because I'm so ill
    I should stay in bed, but got too much bread
    To make, she said watch my weight
    So I stayed home and start eatin' some meals
    Get out of my way, way, boy that's McLaren
    That's 0 to 60 in 2 point nueve, I'm gone"

And bar by bar, that tells us that his mother is telling him “Hey, you look sick and your weight is off. You need to start taking care of yourself more. Something is clearly wrong and I’m worried about you” and he basically says “Okay, whatever, I have money to make and British sports cars to drive.” We see the other side of that duality in Boredom, where he says that he’s been sitting in his bedroom for days at a time, eating nothing but cereal, pissed off at all his friends because none of them are calling to check in on him when he’s so clearly depressed at a clinical level. So much of the album consists of two-sided coins like that, where we see the person that Tyler really is, and how he’s presenting himself to others, and the conflict he’s facing because of the double life. That’s why he hear “Fuck, okay, next one” at the end of Pothole before Garden Shed, the real moment of true, unfiltered honesty about the root of his loneliness and depression. That’s why “Glitter” is framed as a voicemail to the object of his affections, one that’s never heard. That’s why all of the braggadocio on “I Ain’t Got Time!” comes to a screeching halt when someone actually calls him—because he’s yearning to speak with anyone who wants to listen.

The album is meticulously crafted and it has made me think and look at myself more than anything I’ve heard since Blonde and the Bellows album last year. There are so many little things that I didn’t even bring up—namely the metaphor about his Tesla and McLaren that runs through the whole thing, the numerous references to the summer of 2006 which makes up the backbone of November, the fact that Garden Shed and the last song both have several minutes of instrumentals where Tyler keeps saying he’s about to come in but doesn’t, signaling simultaneously that he can’t bring himself to say certain things, that certain things are better left unsaid, and that there are no answers to the questions he brings upon himself—and that’s why I love the album so much. The first time I heard it, I thought it was fantastic but the more I hear it, the more I realize that there’s no cheap moment on here. Every lyric is part of the narrative, the sequencing is intentional to the point where I can’t just listen to a single track from it without starting from the beginning. I think this is a perfect album. The word “important” gets thrown around a lot these days in regards to music from minorities and that always kind of annoys me because it sort of “others” that music from the general conversation, but this album is so crucially important and shares a message that so many people are thinking but no one has the guts to say. I know Tyler didn’t need to make this album, and the fact that he did says everything.

19. Inside the cd jacket lol

20. The booklet is the same way it's hilarious

Aaron Mook likes this.
  21. algae

Regular Prestigious

Oh just found out this small young band I've been a fan of for a while, Slow Hollows contributes to a couple tracks on this. Love the collaborative spirit and love seeing hip-hop + indie rock colliding in such a beautiful way, hope to see more of it

Contender, Aregala, ECV and 2 others like this.
  22. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

listened twice in a row. gonna start #3 now

Aaron Mook and Contender like this.
  23. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

"Garden Shed" thooooooooo