Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Tyler, the Creator - Flower Boy (July 21, 2017) Album • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by btr, Jul 6, 2017.

1. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

beachdude42 likes this.
  2. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Aaron Mook likes this.
  3. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Aaron Mook and beachdude42 like this.
  4. beachdude

Like... the whole argument is apparently that Tyler's "coming out" is just his latest gimmick, and that artistically and musically it's actually just the same old, same old, with the coming out "gimmick" used to disguise that. Not to mention almost no analysis of the actual songs. Dear god.

mattfreaksmeout likes this.
  5. beachdude

Negative reviews are fine. Even negative reviews based on little evidence don't usually make me angry. But this is a BAD take, Jesus Christ.

Aaron Mook and mattfreaksmeout like this.
  6. beachdude

Dude this actually pissed me off haha... Like, I'm a nobody as a music journalist, but I try in every single thing I write to represent the subject matter fairly and honestly. The fact that their central argument is literally that Tyler's coming out is a "gimmick"... ughhhhhhh

Aaron Mook and skogsraet like this.
  7. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I completely agree. It just felt like they missed the point several times, and it was clear there was a personal vendetta against him here, which I understand considering his past, but it shouldn't be the focal point of a review and used to say that nothing being said on the album is genuine. I haven't listened yet, so maybe I shouldn't get this specific but this paragraph really bothered me:
    "The Kali Uchis-featuring “See You Again” showcases what we’re supposed to believe is the softer side of Tyler, but it’s just so damn hard to believe anything as being genuine on this entire thing. Across the board, the stink mentioned at the top of this review is turning out to be horse shit. The lines “You don’t understand me, what the fuck do you mean/ It’s them rose to the cheeks, yeah it’s them dirt-colored eyes/ Sugar honey iced tea, bumblebee on the scene/ Yeah, I’d give up my bakery to have a piece of your pie/ Yugh!” are hollow apart from the “Yugh,” which is said like a puke noise and is the only bit that rings at all sincere."

Just from reading that, it seems to me like the "Yugh" is actually supposed to directly contradict the last several lines? So it would make sense that would be the part that sounds genuine. I don't know, I can't wait to actually listen in full so I can properly rip this review apart.

beachdude42 likes this.
  8. beachdude

You're dead-on with your critique of those lines.

9. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

So you'd think if I could pick that up just from reading the lines... lol That just seems like such a weird critique then. Either things went right over the writer's head, or they just did a terrible job explaining what they were trying to say.

beachdude42 likes this.
  10. Man that review is bad.

11. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I thought there's no way it could be as bad as you were all saying. It was.

12. Contender

Isn't that the review the writer admitted to illegally downloading it so they could write this joke a review?

beachdude42 and Aaron Mook like this.
  13. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

They probably had an advanced copy.

14. Contender

If it's the same review, they admitted they didn't have an advance and downloaded it.

beachdude42 and Aaron Mook like this.
  15. I like how she claims not to care about Tyler's sexuality before literally spending paragraphs questioning its authenticity. Completely unprofessional, but I'm not surprised COS would publish it

Contender and beachdude42 like this.
  16. I asked the writer on Twitter if she would respond to how problematic it is to question somebody coming out and she immediately blocked me, so I guess not

Nick and beachdude42 like this.
  17. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

18. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

My bad haha I didn't remember that part and I clearly didn't read your post carefully.

beachdude42 likes this.
  19. My man @sophos34 roasting them on the twitter dot com machine

20. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

slam dunk

21. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

damn I got the block too

22. The irony of being a critic but being unable to take criticism

23. Damn you beat me to the ratio tweet lol

24. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

Ugh. I didn't read the article but no one gets to deny someone else's sexuality and then block anyone who calls them out. Probably hits too close to home for me but that shit pisses me off. Really tempted to have a go at her on twitter myself now.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  25. Be forewarned, no matter how delicately you approach the situation, you will be blocked

Anthony_D'Elia and skogsraet like this.