Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Tyler, the Creator - Flower Boy (July 21, 2017) Album • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by btr, Jul 6, 2017.

1. tucah

not champ Prestigious

Man, I really gotta listen to this, huh?

2. I read along on Genius during my second listen (which I would recommend) and I know it's way fucking early but I also came to the conclusion that there's virtually no filler here. MAYBE the track with jaden but nowhere near as spotty as his past output

3. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I really fucking wish this didn't leak. He deserved to put this out on his own terms.

4. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

I'll definitely be waiting until it hits Spotify.

5. Doomsday

Trusted Prestigious

Who Dat Boy was the most I enjoyed a Tyler song in a while, so I'll probably check this out once it's out. That little part at the end is so goddamn nice. Tyler is someone I've always respected and enjoyed to a certain extent, but just kinda fell off for me. Maybe this will change my mind.

6. matthaber

beautiful and chequered, the end

this really feels like he finally hit his potential as an artist.

7. Garden Shed -> Boredom -> I Ain't Got Time -> 911/Mr. Lonely -> Dropping Seeds -> November is an incredible string of songs

Allhailburnzy and Aaron Mook like this.
  8. jorbjorb

7 rings

that's an early leak.

9. Snewt

Does whatever a spider can. Prestigious

I haven't had a chance to dive into the lyrics yet, but this is what stood out to me after first listen. The album flows between tracks almost seamlessly. Really digging this.

ECV likes this.
  10. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I don't really bother with leaks these days because I'm way too lazy but I'm looking forward to this. I really like Who Dat Boy and 911/Mr. Lonely, and the reactions here have been great.

I'm skeptical that any of the coming out stuff is real, just because it's Tyler, but I also haven't heard the album, and it sounds like it's a pretty heartfelt one so maybe not.

11. I guess I get where people are coming from with that but I really wish we wouldn't second-guess people coming out. It's obviously a hugely personal thing and there are several lyrics addressing having tried to come out, people not believing him, and the backlash he knows he's going to receive from the hip-hop community (and is already getting on twitter, which is really upsetting)

Robk, aranea, skogsraet and 3 others like this.
  12. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

i don't think we should care at all whether it's him coming out or not at all. ideally it doesn't need to be a big deal either way, it's just another lyric in the album

suicidesaints likes this.
  13. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

True, like I said I haven't listened to the album yet, so if it's more than just that one throwaway line, then I have no reason not to believe he's telling the truth.

I don't care if he's coming out, and I agree it shouldn't matter. I only care if he's not actually coming out and is just using it as a publicity stunt, which given his history I was worried was the case, but it sounds like it's not this time.

14. I mean, I care just because it makes me happy to see someone finally accept themselves after what sounds like years of struggling and (despite still being troubling) at least contextualizes some of the things he's said/done in the past

but I digress, I don't want to get into what that all means to me personally. I'm still sorting it all out.

skogsraet, LWS, Joe4th and 5 others like this.
  15. I felt the same way before listening, largely because the headlines on Reddit and all that have been a simple "Tyler, the Creator comes out as gay on his new album" and he has a long history of both trolling his fans and playing characters, but rest assured, this is very genuine in context of the record. It's not like track one starts off with "I'm gay." The album is a deep dive on his internal conflict over falling in love with another man. It touches on the anger, the confusion, the genuine feeling of love, self-doubt, and everything that accompanies an identity crisis. It's very deep and there are references to it all over the record. It's not just a dumb one-liner in one track or anything like that, which is pretty easy to expect based off the way it's been spoken about online.

I fully disagree with this. I think that's akin to saying we shouldn't care about what Laura Jane Grace has to say about the trans experience on Transgender Dysphoria Blues. This is a queer black man telling a story about how stifling his sexuality led to debilitating fear and shame. There's no removing the importance of coming out on this album because it's an album about coming out.

16. cwhit

I also haven't listened to the album so I'm in the same place as what you said you were early in your post

ECV likes this.
  17. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

You should definitely listen to the album at some point. It's not merely a single line, but sort of a running theme throughout songs His humor is still there, however, it's more of a personal album reflecting the true self and depression.

I truly hope this a true and genuine reveal. Everyone knows Tyler's antics, and I can't see it being that with how personal it is. The last album I felt a deep connection to in this Kevin Abstract's album year. Albums like this if authentic are truly important to the LGBTQ community.

18. cwhit

it wouldn't be because of the themes, i just haven't enjoyed tyler's actual music in a long time. i'm not doubting what's going on, i'm just of the mindset that a lot of this stuff should be uneventful or at least nothing special. of course this world we're currently in isn't idealistic and these are legitimate things to call importance to in this day and age. i never once doubted his statements were real but more of just the importance we were giving it. although if the album is based out of that concept i understand completely and i retract a lot of what i said.

19. Aaron Mook Jul 11, 2017
    (Last edited: Jul 11, 2017)
    The thing that kills me is that at the end of "Pothole," he's like, "Fuck, okay, next one" right before the last refrain, "Gotta watch out for the potholes/Said watch out for the potholes." And then "Garden Shed" is a four-minute track that he doesn't go in on until the last minute, and when he goes in, he goes in hard. I just get this feeling of tension and anticipation waiting for him to come in on that song because that's the one, and on the other side of that song is freedom. It's incredible.

I don't know if that makes sense, but I think it does when you listen.

20. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Musically/technically alone I think this is already his best album by a mile, but the lyrical poignancy really makes it a meaningful listen too.

DeviantRogue, ECV and Aaron Mook like this.
  21. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

In short: I'd say the album is aging pretty well

FTank likes this.
  22. I do appreciate Cherry Bomb for what it is and its production, kind of this odd, transitional, experimental one-off that is more rewarding with repeated listens, but yeah, this is easily his best. I'm trying not to burn myself out on it but I've listened four times in less than 24 hours and keep wanting to go back

beachdude42 likes this.
  23. Can't get over how good Boredom is

Contender likes this.
  24. btr

Trusted Supporter

"Boredom" out now everywhere for those avoiding the leaks and waiting for official audio.

25. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Damn, Boredom is really good.

I'm really glad this site seems to be embracing Tyler now lol, I don't remember him receiving much positive attention on AP