Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Two Tongues - Two (October 14, 2016) Album • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Aaron Mook, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

I'm totally getting one of these and a toy piano for my twins and recording them playing. I'll call it a jazz album.

angrycandy, cshadows2887 and sophos34 like this.
  2. Anti-Counter-Culture

Regular

Just finished my first listen of this. I don't love it, but I don't hate it, either. I probably prefer the first album (which was only decent to me), but I respect this one more. It's more creative, but it also doesn't have any tracks nearly as good as "Crawl." The production isn't as bad (in my opinion) as some are making it out to be, at least in the sense that I don't think it hinders every track. Some ("Azalea") are definitely hurt by it, and I'm still peeved they went with Yip to produce this one. It sounds nothing like the first, which isn't so much of an issue as the fact that it sounds too much like the last SA album (not in songwriting, but in production). I liked the "sound" of that album, but I definitely don't think it worked out to try twice, and hope that Max and Chris move on from it immediately. They tried something new, but I'd prefer if they try something new again, rather than keep making records that sound like this. (Mostly a criticism of Max, but I thought I'd include Chris since the next STD was brought up.)

3. Dan O'Neill

Regular

If the next album sounds like "Black Hole," I'd be totally down. I'm in love with that song.

4. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

I was really excited to listen to this, but these posts are bumming me out. For what it's worth I didn't hate IDTII.

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  5. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

The problem isn't yip, it's max

Aaron Mook and Benjamin Lee like this.
  6. Dan O'Neill

Regular

You should enjoy this then. I really like them both, but I totally get the hate.

Cameron likes this.
  7. waterloobeam

Regular

I think this guy n I are on the same page. I think id be up for that sound on the next STD album, if more complex. I know STD's last two albums were lyrically on the positive side, but I always felt Chris Conleys inner demons would make a return and he'd express it lyrically.

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  8. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Just ask him why he went with this production style on the two records? Like, without also insulting him. It's a legitimate question if asked nicely. I'm wondering it myself, even though I like I Don't Think It Is and am liking this album as well.

Dan O'Neill and KidLightning like this.
  9. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

"Truly" is a jam. Such a good song, but would be better without the lo-fi sound in my opinion.

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  10. Anti-Counter-Culture

Regular

"Black Hole" is my favorite on this, so far, and "Barcelona," I think...the acoustic-y one that suffers from having the same damn chorus as "So Good" from Anarchy, My Dear.

waterloobeam likes this.
  11. LessThanTrevor

Trusted Prestigious

Well I like it more than the latest Say Anything album.

bradsonemanband and Aaron Mook like this.
  12. Anti-Counter-Culture

Regular

Gave it another few listens at work tonight and am actually kinda loving it, now. It's got some issues, for sure, but this is probably my favorite Max Bemis side-project effort. The lyrics could definitely be more consistent (I think "Scorpio" is probably the best of the lot, lyrically, from what I've made of them so far. I wish they'd write about something more than love songs from different perspectives expressed vocally.), and I'm still not fond of the 80's sounding parts of "Azalea," but I think it' far more inspired and consistent than the first Two Tongues. To me, it feels like the first of these efforts Max has done that had as much effort put into it as a SA album.

I'll even say that I'm over my production gripes. Do I pray to God Max and Chris go another direction for the sound of their next respective albums? Yeah, but I think this album works well with it. The production and their vocals were the highlight of the first album, and the production here is clearly not as good, but I like the content itself enough to deal with it.

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  13. Dan O'Neill

Regular

My second listen just ended, and I went from "mostly enjoying" to "mostly loving."

Favorites: Truly, Scorpio, Black Hole.
    Other notable tracks: Barcelona, US, We Can Work, Veuve Clicquot
    Least favorite: Bateman (it's not bad, but ehhh)

This album is going to be just as polarizing as IDTII, but I really enjoy it. :)

Anti-Counter-Culture likes this.
  14. Dan O'Neill

Regular

I think Chris ended his negative lyric streak on Daybreak. There was a theme in the trilogy of getting through some nasty shit, so the songs got pretty dark.

....Saves The Day is my favorite band, so forgive me for geeking out. :)

15. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

I can't imagine me ever wanting to hear "Black Hole" again.

This entire album is a let down for me as a fan of their first.

Interlude Two is okay.

16. clockwise

GREEN DUDES BEST GREEN DAY PODCAST Prestigious

I enjoyed my first listen! Feels like a grower.

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  17. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

First listen was a little rough, but that doesn't mean I won't won't stop listening.

Aaron Mook and Dan O'Neill like this.
  18. Guys Named Todd

Regular Prestigious

This album is (mostly) filled with good tracks that could have been great if they didn't sound like they were recorded in a garbage can.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  19. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Less-than-ideal (but not dealbreaking) production aside, I like this a lot.

20. Anti-Counter-Culture

Regular

Yeah, listening to it a bit more, I can say that some tracks are definitely hindered by the production this time around. I don't know the song names yet, because I just listen to it as an album at work without checking, but the thrashier-sounding one and a few others on the back half are at the point where I can hardly make out the lyrics or instrumentation after a certain point. I also think some of "Black Hole"'s potential is squandered by it. Some tracks are benefitted from it imo, ("We Can Work"), but I think the could have let up on the fuzz a bit with others.

21. SayHello

Regular

I love Saves the Day and I love old Say Anything. What that being said, this album should've never been a thing. It should've been scrapped or rerecorded.

waterloobeam likes this.
  22. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Can we start a kickstarter for another producer to re-mix this album? There are some really great songs on here, covered by a blanket of shit production

23. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

a re mix wont do shit if everything was recorded poorly, which i would venture to say it was.

SayHello likes this.
  24. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

valid point, there may be no saving

25. TheWater(s)

Kiss The Sky Prestigious

Woof this thing is awful

SayHello likes this.