Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Twitter Website

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

Twitter (Official Thread)

2. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Was it Tweetbot that a lot of people here recommended? Looking to finally branch from the default app and start following Twitter a bit more than I have been.

3. Yes.

Eric Wilson likes this.
  4. I don't think I could/would use Twitter without Tweetbot. It's that important to my experience.

mescalineeyes likes this.
  5. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Will be checking this out. Ha really behind the curve apparently!

6. I like a lot of the little upgrades. It's my most used app on my phone. So I think so.

7. Keagan Ilvonen

Definitely worth it.

8. Same. There was a span of time between 2012 and 2014 where I didn't even open the website or the first party app for anything. I can probably count on two hands the number of times I've done that since, usually when setting up an account for a client or project.

Tweetbot IS Twitter for me.

ianebaldwin and Jason Tate like this.
  9. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

I read a few articles comparing Tweetbot and the Twitter app, and they mostly reach the same conclusions as you folks, but I am still not understanding the value. What am I missing?

10. Tweetbot doesn't mess with your timeline. No rearranging tweets or sticking in sponsored ones. Account switching is easy from the timeline to the composition window. Drafts, mutes, lists, shortcut actions, and the way media is handled in the timeline are all things I could not do without on a Twitter client. Tweetbot isn't the perfect Twitter application, but for power users, it's the closest you'll come in the current climate.

stnewton and Jason Tate like this.
  11. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Is there a recommended app for Android? Tweetbot is the only app I ever see mentioned and it's only available for iPhone

12. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

ChaseTx likes this.
  13. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

14. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

I think the metric finally went into play for me. My timeline has dramatically changed over the last three days. I had to search for my best friend (who had just tweeted) to find it.

15. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

Never going to use the native Twitter app again. Tweetbot is the best.

Deanna likes this.
  16. Good call. There's so much power in that app. It IS Twitter for me.

17. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

I've been using it for the past year or so but everything I hear about the native app just sounds so gross. Why do they have to try to make it so complicated?

Jason Tate likes this.
  18. I couldn't say. I tried it a few months back on my iPad, but the account switching was just terrible. It was a lesser experience than what I've been used to since 2012 on Tweetbot.

Before that, I used UberTwitter on my Blackberry Torch. Does anyone remember that app?

19. Is it weird that I use both? I love Tweetbot, but I still use the default app for a few things. I guess it's just training yourself to get used to it, as with most new apps.

20. It is unusually to use two apps for such a thing. What uses do you have for the first party client over Tweetbot?

21. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

switched to Tweetbot last summer and I never looked back, and I'm not even that heavy of a Twitter user. it just feels right at the end of the day.

22. I've found the the "search" functions works better on the default client and surprisingly I use that a lot. Also, that certain videos/GIFS will run right in the feed rather than having to open them. Small things.

23. Twitter does have an advantage with the media APIs. I wish they'd lax their third-party policies and access a little bit. The access token thing is sort of ridiculous. The platform is great and third party apps like Tweetbot only make it better. Let them do their thing unimpeded and you're bound to see much more growth.

24. I agree and I eventually think it will happen. Third-party developers really make Twitter better at being Twitter. Once they hand the platform over to the users I think they'll see a bit more growth.

25. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

How do you get followers on Twitter? I've had a profile since 2013 and I'm still eating digital shit.