Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Twitter Rolls Out 280-Character Limit to Everyone

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Twitter has announced, after their initial testing, everyone is now getting 280 characters to tweet with:

During the first few days of the test many people Tweeted the full 280 limit because it was new and novel, but soon after behavior normalized (more on this below). We saw when people needed to use more than 140 characters, they Tweeted more easily and more often. But importantly, people Tweeted below 140 most of the time and the brevity of Twitter remained.

I’ve found my brain just skips over most tweets that look “long.”

Mr. Serotonin and jorbjorb like this.
  2. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

I don’t think this is a good idea, I think they could’ve done well with 200 characters, but 280 is too much imo. Idk how this passed testing and I have a feeling they’re going to end up shortening it again.

3. heymattrick

Pool Boy at the Vampire Mansion

I never felt like 140 was quite enough but 280 seems too long haha.

4. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

my timeline is now just people trying to be funny by posting long tweets of song lyrics and i hate it

skogsraet likes this.
  5. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

All over my TL too, and other variations of jokes on the character limit. This is gonna get old faaaast

6. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

this is the only one i have so far enjoyed

7. razorburn

Trusted

Hate it.

8. heymattrick

Pool Boy at the Vampire Mansion

Me three but honestly I give it a couple days tops before they knock it off posting that stuff

9. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

yes, what nazis needed was more characters

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  10. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

Agreed. I think 180-200 would have been the sweet spot. I only ever found myself going over about 10 characters before I had to start trimming.

skogsraet likes this.
  11. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

Rumor mill says they are hard at work on the next big feature

UNLIMITED CHARACTERS!

Raku likes this.
  12. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

UNLIMITED NAZIS!

13. bransco2010

i feel like an expansion in theory wasn't necessarily a bad idea, it's just that it seems like the most lazy thought process behind doing it ("well, right now the max is 140...so we'll make it 280! Double, see!"), and thus it ended up giving way too much unnecessary space.

if they had gone up by 10 or 20, giving you that little bit of extra space to finish your point without having to start a thread or shorten anything, i'd have been fine with it. but mostly all it's done right now is cause people to write out those unfunny joke posts utilizing all 280 just because. internet fads die quick, so hopefully that will go away. i just think there was zero real thought process behind the expansion.

14. youwontknow

If I smile with my teeth, bet you'd believe me

Don't know if we haz the technology yet...