Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Twitter Just Permanently Suspended Milo Yiannopoulos • Page 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 19, 2016.

1. DandonTRJ Jul 20, 2016
    (Last edited: Jul 20, 2016)
    DandonTRJ

~~~ヾ(^∇^ Supporter

My brother was dating a fairly prominent Gamergate target and got dragged into Milo's "reporting" thereupon.

The fact that he can maintain a "likeable" persona while intentionally ruining lives for fun speaks to his sociopathy.

beachdude42 and incognitojones like this.
  2. Sander

kflkmflkm

this will only make him bigger and smugger. I didn't think he could get any more smug but here we are now

3. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

There's already a #FreeMilo going around. Don't ever listen to anyone who tries to deny Twitter is the most hostile mainstream social network.

beachdude42 and Carmensaopaulo like this.
  4. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

If Twitter follow through then I'll be happy. There are literally hundreds of accounts that say all of kinds of things that are racist, sexist, homophobic, or otherwise abusive or threatening on a daily basis. This is the second time in a year twitter has been like "yeah we're bad about abuse" and they only do something once in awhile. Their newest statement said they have stuff "in the coming weeks" and I hope they follow through with that. Twitter is arguably worse than YT or FB cause of how easy it is to tweet at people. That and Twitter are usually incredibly slow about dealing with these issues.

This was merely a year ago: http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/4/79...t-memo-taking-personal-responsibility-for-the

5. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

"As the only black woman prominently featured among these recent examples of diverse casting in franchise films, Jones is easily the most vulnerable target for this kind of attack.

Twitter is a notoriously unsafe space for women, but it’s even more toxic for women of color. Abusive attacks on women of color tend to involve more violent language, occur more frequently, and be far more overtly racist and dehumanizing, by orders of magnitude.

So race is explicitly the primary factor in what happened to Jones over the weekend. But there’s another factor in the rampant brigades sending wave after wave of attacks against Jones."

Milo Yiannopoulos's Twitter ban, explained

6. Bryan Diem

Trusted

As someone who finds himself actually agreeing with Milo on some of his free speech and other issues, I can't wrap my head around how he justifies this one. It's like he's trying to stop the social Darwinism that keeps capitalism alive.

Thanks for the reply, hope everyone recovered from that well.

7. DandonTRJ

~~~ヾ(^∇^ Supporter

They haven't. His articles helped torch my brother's career by scaring away employers who are too afraid of what Milo's troll army might do to them. More importantly, my brother and his ex lived in constant fear of their safety for months on end and are still dealing with the psychological fallout from that experience. All because Milo decided he could wring out some extra page views and ad clicks by vindicating and encouraging their harassers. The dude is scum, and the fact that he occasionally lands on the right side of a free speech issue should not be sufficient justification for supporting his work or giving him a platform to cause further harm to others.

8. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

It bears repeating - what a fucking monster.

beachdude42 and Carmensaopaulo like this.
  9. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

I think it is because, as proven by your last sentence, their grasp on reality and the way the world works is infantile. That's if I'm being generous. If we take it seriously, then the issue is that they actually want to remake the world into a sort of Ayn Randian dystopia, in which everything is permissible and everyone that isn't in the "in group" (straight white men) is used as human fuel for the worst of all possible worlds. We have never been too far from this dynamic anyway, but theirs is a rage and hysteria that sees whatever progress has been made and sees it as an end to their way of life. And it is and that is good.

WordsfromaSong likes this.
  10. Pooch

Regular

Dave Rubin nails it again

11. DandonTRJ Jul 20, 2016
    DandonTRJ

~~~ヾ(^∇^ Supporter

If free speech is under assault like Rubin claims, it wouldn't be news that Milo got permabanned. The fact is that these suspensions are exceedingly rare -- much rarer than they should be -- and the loss of Milo's voice should bother no one with a heart or brain. There are plenty of other right-wing "provocateurs" who manage to get the exact same points as Milo across without being shitbag harrassers, and the fact that Rubin has to choose his words so carefully when describing whether or not Milo has "directly incited" violence against people is the clearest giveaway of how facile his defense is. Milo knows exactly what he's doing when he dog whistles to his followers, and he can keep that garbage on Breitbart, or whatever other forums decide to actively cultivate cesspools. Respecting free speech means also acknowledging its outer limits and being able to honestly identify when someone's contributions do more harm than good to a community.

12. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

I like Rubin but he's been disappointing about this. There's a difference between free speech and abuse/harassment. I don't think people should be able to post nazi imagery and say f*g. I do agree with the hypocrisy about other accounts saying just as bad, if not worse, things not being banned and have been around a long while. But that goes back to what I said earlier, Twitter needs to step up and be consistent, cause hundreds of people who aren't even famous get it just as bad and Twitter needs to listen. It sometimes takes years just to get rid of one account.

13. Jason Tate Jul 20, 2016
    I don't think that's what "nailing it" looks like by any reasonable definition. I've got a better candidate:
    I will add: Expressing controversial or even unpopular opinions is one thing, and Twitter should remain open to that. Harassment is something else entirely, and Twitter should have zero tolerance for it. Empathetic human beings can tell the difference. Bullies, on the other hand, conflate the two. Milo Yiannopoulos getting kicked off Twitter had nothing to do with his conservative politics and everything to do with his leading a hate mob of racist misogynists.

I understand the concern that if Twitter starts suspending accounts for one thing (harassment), they might start suspending accounts for the other (expressing controversial opinions). That’s why Twitter’s solution needs to involve actual human beings. Rational people should have tolerance for ideas that offend them. No one should be asked to tolerate personal abuse.

14. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

What if Twitter actually used their resources and hired a team of interns to comb through every tweet and account that is reported for abuse and make a humane decision while a team of supervisors handles and protects higher profile accounts like Jones' and makes decision on controversial cases or those with unclear violations. Add a system that lists reported accounts by the amount of times they've been reported and I think they could get this problem taken care of much more quickly without much strain on their resources. Even if that is asking too much of Twitter, at least it'll help with their quickly sinking reputation and keep sites that are welcoming to users from usurping Twitter users. If Twitter continues their pattern of slow reactions and insufficient solutions, I'll be happy to see the whole thing go the way of Friendster.

beachdude42 and Aaron Mook like this.
  15. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

Good. No-platform the fuck out of this guy.

I watched that Reggie Yates BBC documentary on MRA's and the whole time he was talking and spewing his rubbish I wanted to vomit.

People like him are what scare me the most about the alt-right; same old toxic prejudiced views repackaged in a younger, more 'hip' outer layer...

beachdude42, Jason Tate and Dominick like this.
  16. RiseAgainst379

Regular

Everyone who has either said or thought about "free speech" in this thread, please take a moment to read:

State Action Requirement

State actor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

State Action (this specific article discusses the 14th instead of 1st amendment, but the same basic rules apply).

In short, your right to free speech doesn't mean what you think it means, and you need to stop abusing the phrase.

17. Pooch

Regular

I'll play devil's advocate here:

The problem with this situation is not the semantics of "free speech" and "first amendment"; it's the self-policing of people's words and ideas. Is Milo Yabbadabbadooballs a terrible person? Yes. Does Twitter have the right, as a corporation, to ban members for what they say? Yes. But let's not fool ourselves into thinking he was banned for any other reason but for his political views.

P.S. I don't support this dude. It's just nice to debate politics once in a while.

18. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Or he was banned for sending harassing tweets full of racism and sexist material while leading a group of his followers to do the same, which is pretty much what happened. Above all, he was given numerous chances after being suspended before and bit the hand every time he returned, so why should I feel bad? You can think whatever you want but when you purposely go out to spew toxic things at someone like he did, it really doesn't matter side you stand on because you're just a toxic bully at that point. If you can't realize that, then I truly pity you.

19. Absolutely 100% false.

20. thischarmingman

tweets: @lamebandguy Prestigious

every time i see one of these nerds say "what about free speech?" it mostly just sounds to me like "i can't just express my turd-like thought and ideas that would cause someone to believe i'm a fucking turd in peace without someone calling me a fucking turd to my face?"

21. Pooch

Regular

hate speech

thischarmingman likes this.
  22. thischarmingman

oh i'm just being a provacateur

23. Pooch

Regular

24. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

Basically the free speech fantasy these people want is total freedom from consequences

And anyone who disagrees with them should be punished to the full extent possible

Its so hypocritical the planet might implode on the idiocy

beachdude42 and DarkHotline like this.
  25. thischarmingman

so it is. but, if you were a person historically and continually oppressed by the word "nerd" and non-nerd attitudes toward "nerds" and you took great offense to it when this word said by a non-nerd, and vocalized this several times, wouldn't you be just a little annoyed with non-nerds distracting your conversation away and acting like they were the oppressed ones?

kind of a long analogy but you get what i'm trying to dig at here right?