Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Twitter Just Permanently Suspended Milo Yiannopoulos • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

bullshit. they're racists not trolls. if you were subject to that kind of abuse you'd find it hard not to care. there is no benefit in trying to tell someone who is getting abused how to respond.

2. FakeGyllenhaal

No doubt they were racist but don't you think that many of them targeted Leslie because they knew they would get a response? It's really fucked up thing that people do behind the curtain of anonymity on the internet. I'm not trying to tell anyone how to respond, that message wasn't for Leslie. I'm just trying to discuss what happened.

Kizwiz likes this.
  3. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

burying your head in the sand is NEVER the right way to approach abuse. they targeted her because she is a black woman and Milo started it. they target people when they don't get a response too.

i've been followed by people and sent "I don't talk to queers" tweets and i'm a fucking nobody.

Arry likes this.
  4. Kizwiz

Regular

A lot of the trolls came from 4chan. They latch onto the common denominator of insults, which is sadly easier if you're a black woman. Leslie posting the screenshots was fueling the fire as they want that publicity. Twitter can't do much because they can make multippe new accounts or change their IP if suspended. We all understand her being upset but did she honestly think it'd stop? She needs to change her notification settings to avoid seeing this.

5. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

that still doesn't mean you should ignore abuse. like there is literally no reason to say "she should have ignored them". you're putting the blame on her.

beachdude42, Robk, Arry and 1 other person like this.
  6. Kizwiz

Regular

Ignore abuse? No, report it. But I do think there's some blame on her for how she handled it, yes. She escalated that abuse by feeding the trolls.

She also responded to people calling them derogatory terms like "retards" and also got people abuse who were supporting her but told her "don't respond". She was put in a bullshit position and was clearly distraught, but responding like she did wasn't wise.

7. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

The mentality of ignoring abuse and burying your head in the sand online becomes horribly dangerous once it seeps into real life. Would you dare tell someone who's been the victim of racist or homophobic or sexist abuse that they should ignore it?

It's very easy to sit back in a position where you haven't been the target of hateful abuse and say ignore it when you haven't experienced how hurtful and horrible it is.

8. Kizwiz Jul 20, 2016
    (Last edited: Jul 20, 2016)
    Kizwiz

Regular

I'm sure everyone's experienced online abuse at some point in their lives. It's a very common thing. Fortunately, I imagine most of us haven't been dogpiled like Leslie was. That's why I'm glad to have never been famous.

Nonetheless, your solution is to do what she did? She highlighted the abuse which opened the floodgates for more. Celebrities deal with this on a daily basis (ie Jimmy Kimmel's 'Mean Tweets'). Unfortunately that's the way of life. Twitter can't ban every hateful post a celebrity gets.

9. blacktaxi2d

they are a private (saudi arabian owned) company so they can do whatever they want. but the first person they ban from this is a gay guy...slippery slope!

wonder what they will do with actual terrorists using their site??

10. FakeGyllenhaal

Well, I disagree with this especially in a case like this where there is an option to simply shut it off. I think what you are saying is very true for someone trapped in a situation where they are being abused and do not have an option to leave or escape. But if someone would have been there to take over her twitter so she didn't even have to look at it this would have been over in a day or so and the worst thing that would have happened is Milo would still be on twitter. And I'm not putting blame on her. She is somewhat new to SNL and from what I know this level of celebrity is probably very new to her. If I put blame on anyone its Columbia Pictures, NBC and maybe even SNL for not giving her the resources to handle this.

I don't think my post was bullshit at all. I think you are trying really hard to find malice in what I'm saying when there is none.

Bryan Diem and Kizwiz like this.
  11. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

Minimizing the issue that i said in my post I know nothing about?

Also, insinuating that me putting the parentheses on there implies I am sexist and racist is just absolutely ignorant. The reason i specified is because based on the posting on the news feed is sound like there were racist and sexist things thrown in her direction.

12. Larry David

Who do you think is worse?

13. Larry David

Cool

14. FakeGyllenhaal

Her comedy is an acquired taste, I watch every week with a group and some of us love her... Like are really laughing hard throughout her Weekend Update spots. Personally she's not my favorite but I like Kyle Mooney and Beck Bennet I know lots of people can't stand them.

15. Larry David

I think Kyle mooney is very underrated, but i can see why people don't like him

16. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Leslie knew what she was doing by replying to and reposting the abusive tweets and said as much. It probably did amplify the abuse on her, but it also shined a light on a huge problem with the site and it seems Twitter is actually taking action because of that.

17. FakeGyllenhaal

This is very true. Her last few tweets of the night showed what a toll the whole incident took on her. Really a bummer.

It will be interesting to see where Twitter goes with this. It seems like an awful lot of trash to sift through to find the really rotten stuff, especially if it doesn't happen to a high profile account.

18. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

19. SweetThye

@sweetthye

He clearly doesn't understand that hate speech is not free speech. You abused the policies of Twitter. Plain and simple. Dude just wants attention. I hate that we gave it to him.

20. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Milo is not the first person who's been banned on Twitter.

beachdude42, Robk, Jason Tate and 2 others like this.
  21. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

I think it's funny people frame this as a free speech issue. There is literally nothing Twitter can do to violate the free speech amendment, they make their own rules and can ban people who break them, especially repeatedly. Fuck this guy, he's scum.

beachdude42, Robk, elphshelf and 8 others like this.
  22. bptky

check out Musica - Akron's best live music venue

Twitter and Facebook need to better define their policies on what is deemed offensive or hateful. I understand the freedom of speech aspect, but they each govern their own respective websites and whether they are protected from any liability on the content itself, anything that is posted on there has the Twitter or Facebook name/logo attached to it. A lot of blatantly obvious hate speech that is posted more often than not goes unnoticed.

beachdude42, lightning13 and ChaseTx like this.
  23. Tata Toothy

Regular

Kill 1 troll and 1,000 more pop up. This is a good start, but twitter has a lot of work cut out for them if they plan on cleaning their site up.

beachdude42, bptky and FTank like this.
  24. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

as my social media platform of choice they need to fix a lot.

25. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

He was on Facebook posting about this and I decided to check it out. On the one hand, they all love the free market, private property, corporate autonomy, but on the other hand, they feel as though they should be able to tell a company how to operate. Cognitive dissonance at its best.