Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Twitter is Shutting Down Vine

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Sara Perez, writing at TechCrunch, on Twitter shutting down Vine:

With Twitter’s future still in question following failed attempts at finding an acquirer and the recently announced layoffs of nine percent of its workforce, the company today announced it’s shutting down its standalone short-form video app, Vine. According a post, nothing is changing immediately — the website and apps will remain online for the time being, and users will be given a chance to download their Vine videos ahead of its official closure.

The founder of the company, on Twitter, had pretty good advice: “Don’t sell your company.” I hope BatDad Blake keeps posting videos somewhere — that was my favorite Vine account.

2. jako

I wouldn't call Rus THE founder of Vine—he cofounded the company with Dom and Colin.

3. CheapPop

Regular

So, haven't read the full article yet (I'm at work) but does twitter think that shutting down Vine will increase companies interest in purchasing them?

4. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Shot in the dark - but I'd guess that means they wouldn't have to devote any more resources or money towards it. It's crazy how fast Vine grew and flamed out.

5. Max_123

Nope. Prestigious

Is it really that surprising since Instagram allowed videos? I'm actually surprised they lasted this long

6. CaptainInsano

Hopefully all the Vine "celebrities" go down with it

7. aniafc

Trusted

Me too. Insta added videos and then everyone was like, well...why have this take up space on my phone?

8. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I honestly thought people stopped using Vine years ago. I had the app when it came out in 2013 and deleted it shortly after I downloaded it. Didn't interest me much (although, most social media doesn't).

Oh well.