Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Twitter Changing Up 140 Character Rules

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 24, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Twitter has announced some changes to how they’re going to be handling tweets, media, and @-replies on the service.

[Y]ou can already do a lot in a Tweet, but we want you to be able to do even more. In the coming months we’ll make changes to simplify Tweets including what counts toward your 140 characters, so for instance, @names in replies and media attachments (like photos, GIFs, videos, and polls) will no longer “use up” valuable characters.

2. Behind the Barricade

https://www.behindthecade.com

Finally! Unfortunately, seeing everyone we follow's replies will get annoying. RTing yourself will be pretty odd at first.

3. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

Great. That's all I wanted.

I definitely don't want them making the character count unlimited. One of the reasons I love twitter is because it's on the fly, quick thoughts. If you wanna write a novel do it on FB.

PandaBear! likes this.
  4. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I like these changes, they all make sense without taking away from one the quick-real time aspect of Twitter.

bptky likes this.
  5. bptky

check out Musica - Akron's best live music venue

Good changes all around. Although now that username mentions aren't counting towards the 140 characters, are people going to start mentioning their entire list of followers to make their tweets more visible? I could see that getting annoying, just like Facebook spam posts.

6. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

@So_I_can_have_infinte_space_available_to_me_if_I_type_like_this_on_twitter_So_I_can_have_infinte_space_available_to_me_if_I_type_like_this_on_twitter_So_I_can_have_infinte_space_available_to_me_if_I_type_like_this_on_twitter_So_I_can_have_infinte_space_available_to_me_if_I_type_like_this_on_twitter_So_I_can_have_infinte_space_available_to_me_if_I_type_like_this_on_twitter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ChaseTx and PandaBear! like this.
  7. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I love this. It never made sense to me that who you were @"ing" took up character space, especially if you're having a Twitter convo with multiple people.

Also, as someone who runs my work's social media pages, this will be especially helpful, considering I post a TON of photos and links as well as @ a lot of businesses/other people.

8. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

Definitely a welcome change, but I'll truly them when they no longer limit me to just 15 characters for my user name. They're single-handedly ruining my social media synergy.

9. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

You won't see the reply unless they retweet it from my understanding of the changes.

What we will see is initial tweets to people that would have previously been hidden.

10. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Hopefully it doesn't result in more spam -- tag 20 people and share a link.