Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Twitter’s New, Longer Tweets Are Coming September 19th

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The Verge:

Twitter is about to make a big change to the way that tweets work, The Verge can independently confirm. Beginning September 19th, the company will cut down on exactly which types of content count toward the platform’s 140-character limit. Media attachments (images, GIFs, videos, polls, etc.) and quoted tweets will no longer reduce the count. The extra room for text will give users more flexibility in composing their messages.

I’m ready for this.

Raku likes this.
  2. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

This is awesome! It's so hard to get points across on Twitter and trying to lower the character count to fit a tweet is worse than tuning drums.

3. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Pro or con? Celebrity Twitter meltdowns will get more obnoxious.

Carmensaopaulo likes this.
  4. y2jayjk

Trusted Prestigious

Cool

Raku likes this.
  5. John Zafran

As If Everything Was Held In Place

lame. defeats the point

6. CMilliken

Trusted

You try to say everything and then you have to remove punctuation just to stay within the limit. Happy about this change.

Raku and ConArdist like this.
  7. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

I thought I recall them discussing the possibility of people being able to have more content in their tweet, but only showing the first 140 characters or something? I wasn't really a fan of that, but I am a fan of removing things that count towards the total character limit such as images or URLs etc.

8. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

you still have to keep your message below 140 characters, so no it doesnt

slickdtc and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  9. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Yay, more room for racism and hate speech!

10. Schooner

Trusted

Thank god. I'm glad there's still a limit to keep twitters purpose of limited posts size. But when you've got a few ppl tagged in a covno or someone has a ridiculous long name and you're left with 8 words to make a sentence is one of the most difficult things in life

11. slickdtc

Regular Supporter

Good, happy medium. Stays in the spirit of the platform while adding flexibility to content that isn't exactly a part of the thought of a tweet.

Probably best for businesses and brands. Who pay money to advertise on the platform. Makes sense and cents.

12. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

It's about time.

Links and media shouldn't be included in the character limit. That is what is actually defeating the point of Twitter.