Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Twin Peaks (ABC) TV Show • Page 85

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

[​IMG]

Larry David and Dog with a Blog like this.
  2. chris

Trusted Supporter

I need to go back and rewatch the return in as few sittings as possible (I can't watch anything 18 hours straight).

Larry David likes this.
  3. if I try to watch it all the way through i'm just gonna miss things

Larry David likes this.
  4. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

one day I'll do a rewatch for sure

Larry David likes this.
  5. kupe

Regular

I think I'm gonna do it how Lynch suggested. 3 parts, take a break, another 3 parts. Repeat for the next two days

Larry David likes this.
  6. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

I got Larry’d!

7. Dog with a Blog

[​IMG]

Maybevictor and Larry David like this.
  8. Dog with a Blog

The Twin Peaks (and Larry David) Thread

Maybevictor and Larry David like this.
  9. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

I'm so glad that I've got everyone all ready for a rewatch of the series now!

Maybevictor and kupe like this.
  10. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

Maybevictor and Dog with a Blog like this.
  11. Morrissey

Trusted

I finished a rewatch just a few days ago. Watching it in quick succession makes it feel very differently. While I appreciated Dougie when it came all together in the end, it was very frustrating week-to-week waiting for Cooper to come back or for the threads to come together. However, watched quickly, it all makes much more sense.

The one thing that does not make too much sense is the point of the scenes between Ashley Judd and Ben Horne. Getting such a famous actress for what is essentially a cameo makes me wonder if something else was planned, although in every other area it seems like Lynch got exactly what he wanted.

While it easy to understand why people would be disappointed in the lack of awards considerations, that is ultimately a neutral if not positive thing. Awards shows lead to awful, dishonest pieces that try to slam one piece of art in order to help another win, and it creates an atmosphere where people have preconceived notions of the value of the show because of the label of awards. Twin Peaks is just too weird for the average audience, but it will be shared by fans to people who are willing to branch out.

Dog with a Blog and Larry David like this.
  12. Dog with a Blog

Pretty interesting to think that this was supposed to be 9 episodes originally. I feel like Lynch pretty much had carte blanche to do whatever he wanted. Although, it’s really funny to see behind the scenes clips where people are questioning how long scenes need to be and David gets pissed haha.

Larry David likes this.
  13. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

Yeah I think the most optimistic thing you could say about awards is that they potentially bring in attention that they wouldn’t otherwise get, but I’m doubtful how true even that is. Arrested Development received tons of nominations, but that never translated to mass appeal. In no world can I imagine it would be better here, even with the changed tv landscape.

Idk if tv studio heads place as much importance on awards as film execs do, but I’d have to assume no

Larry David likes this.
  14. Morrissey

Trusted

While it does bring in attention, it is hard to say whether or not that is a good thing. Twin Peaks is a show for a certain type of person, and the person who cares about the Emmy's but hasn't heard of Twin Peaks is almost certainly not going to like it. It might convert a few people, but Lynch is something you have to work your way up to, especially late-career Lynch. I am always disappointed when art films get Oscar attention because it gets people to see the films, hate them, and then trash them in conversations.

Dog with a Blog and Larry David like this.
  15. kupe

Regular

If anyone trashes my beloved Twin Peaks I will do this to them

[​IMG]

16. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

“People who don’t ‘get it’ might see it and trash it” is a ridiculous reason to not want something to get recognition. It’s textbook gatekeeping. It’s wanting certain artists to stay obscured for the sake of being obscure. I’d much rather have it receive a greater audience but only 1/4 of that audience gets something out of it than it not receive the greater audience at all

Like it would be one thing if someone like Terrence Malick made his Malick-y movies, but then once he got award recognition he decided to make cut-and-paste romcoms in an attempt to appeal to a broader crowd. But it’s different if he got that recognition and continued to make the same stuff that he always did. In the latter scenario he would undoubtedly have greater star power, influence, longevity, and creative leeway in the industry. As a fan of his work you should be happy about that, because it means he’s more likely to stick around and continue doing what he’s so good at doing.

NitrateDawn and Dinosaurs Dish like this.
  17. Morrissey

Trusted

It is about not wasting people's time and money on something they won't like. It is the same reason arthouse magazines don't pretend that their audience wants to see Jurassic Park 8.

18. Dog with a Blog

@Connor comin in hard with those likes. You finish yet breh?

kupe likes this.
  19. kupe

Regular

What if they were to announce a season 4, or even a new fire walk with me type movie? I don't know if I could handle it

20. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Sure, but imagine every person who had never tried something strange like Twin Peaks and it changed the way they view art?

It's like when a band comes along that you happen to stumble upon that for whatever reason taps into something in your mind or heart that had never been touched before and it opens the floodgates for more art in that vein.

Anyhoo, I really need to do a rewatch of The Return and see if my dislike/indifference of Dougie goes away.

21. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

[​IMG]

BackyardHero11 likes this.
  22. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Saturday - Instrumental is such an incredible song.

23. Dog with a Blog

I actually need this
    [​IMG]

24. BackyardHero11

Trusted

25. BackyardHero11

Trusted

finally finished The Return. my roommate and I drank coffee and ate pie during the finale. all I gotta say. "Damn good."

definitely look forward to rewatching the whole thing after reading up a bunch after. I struggled the first time with The Return, made it like 5 episodes in and then got too busy. started over and enjoyed those episodes way more. second half of season was killer. really hope we get more.

David Parke, OotyPa and kupe like this.