Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Twenty One Pilots Make History on the Charts • Page 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Penguin

just let me cry a little bit longer Prestigious

I see what you're saying, but I think the reason why they don't participate in rap culture at all is because they realize that it's not really their place to do so and they don't want to intrude in that world the way someone like Macklemore might. It helps that I don't hear the same arguments for them that I do for Iggy/Macklemore/Eminem from white people ("Iggy is the only rapper that's good! Macklemore is the only rapper with substance!") since their fans don't really see them as a rap group anyway. They kind of frame themselves in the indie pop(?) world with a little rap influence, and their fans seem to compare them more to bands like FOB or P!ATD than to other rappers, so (hopefully) that kind of reframing is little to none. That's just how it seems to me though.

Turkeylegz and AshlandATeam like this.
  2. AshlandATeam

Trusted

Music is subjective, and obviously no one is everyone's cup of tea. But some of this is just insane.

This band has been doing this since 2009. They aren't a flash in the pan. And this isn't a gimmick. And this isn't just about them being catchy. This is the result of hard work and spending the better part of a decade cultivating a fan base by playing a fantastic show and putting out music that lyrically resonates with a wide audience.

The Limp Bizkit analogy is actually fairly insulting, because LB was -admittedly and openly - nothing but a party band. Twenty One Pilots is a band that does this because they love music; they're the exact same guys they are now as they were when they put out two albums on their own before they got signed. These guys aren't making sex tapes or name dropping female pop stars in gross ways to get cheap attention.

Someone mentioned it above, but yeah - every thread about these dudes is the same thing. This article illustrates that they've achieved a level of success literally no band ever has. If you're unaware of who they are and why they're doing it, it's willful ignorance. It's like saying 'I don't understand this Green Day thing' in 2000 or 'I don't understand this Coldplay thing' in 2008. At this point, it's on you if you don't understand Twenty One Pilots, whether or not you listen to them or like them.

3. heymattrick

Sending my love

I certainly can't speak for all TOP fans but i certainly have never thought of it as rap or called it rap. It's just alternative. Having rapped lyrics does not make a band "rap"

Carmensaopaulo and AshlandATeam like this.
  4. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

5. John Zafran

As If Everything Was Held In Place

yeah agree man. i think they are fire

heymattrick likes this.
  6. Lucas27

Trusted

7. AshlandATeam Aug 30, 2016
    (Last edited: Aug 30, 2016)
    AshlandATeam

Trusted

You're on this website - this website's mother website has covered the band since at least a year before their major label debut. 2011ish. That was two albums in. Furthermore, their most recent record was #1 in the country its opening week. If you follow the Billboard charts, that would have been a pretty good time to ask 'who in the world is this?' if their sold out tours and extremely successful first label album didn't do it.

I'm sure there were people who didn't know Green Day when American Idiot came out. And I'm sure there are people who didn't recognize every Coldplay song at the Super Bowl. But that wasn't because the bands were mysterious before those points. I get it - I couldn't pick out songs by most pop stars or country singers or R&B singers. I get not being familiar with a genre or a specific band. But in 2016, on this website, with all the band has done, it seems unlikely a person hadn't been exposed to Twenty One Pilots enough to know why comparing them to Limp Bizkit is insane.

8. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

I don't really feel one way or another about this band but this is the single most accurate description of twenty one pilots I've ever seen.

ConArdist and AshlandATeam like this.
  9. AshlandATeam

Trusted

I absolutely love this band, and this is an extremely accurate description lol.

Also I loved the Arrested Development gif earlier. Everyone should express their displeasure about music in gif form from fantastic TV shows.

10. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

It's so depressing. I haven't turned on the radio in over a year. Rock as a mainstream phenom is dead.

11. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

Weird, I find it so very mediocre. Like "Stressed Out", "Ride", and "Heathens" all seem like songs that would be filler on a really solid album.

Carmensaopaulo likes this.
  12. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

They have such a massive dedicated following and I don't get that but I have heard a handful of songs on the radio and liked them all. I REALLY like their new song Heathens though.

13. Beholdtheriver

Regular

heymattrick likes this.
  14. I don't think I've ever read a New Yorker article that came across as poorly written, and this certainly doesn't fall into that camp.