Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Twenty One Pilots Make History on the Charts • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 29, 2016.

1. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

I still don't like or get this "band" and wish House of Heroes was bigger. I can write better songs. I'm a curmudgeon, no argument here.

2. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

But they sound exactly the same. lol agreed random

3. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

Love the logo! Stranger Things has helped ferry me over the river of dead that is The X-Files now. :cringe:

Jason Tate likes this.
  4. NewSurrender

Regular Prestigious

Can someone please explain this post to me; I want to be in on the joke

supernovagirl likes this.
  5. ianzandi

Regular

Arrested Development. Catch a Hop-On this bandwagon now

Lucas27 and NewSurrender like this.
  6. ianzandi

Regular

I agree, but they were never meant to be big really. I'd love a full length Beatles cover album

7. Tata Toothy

Regular

Not a huge fan, but good for these guys.

I would like to see them live, they seem to put on a great show.

8. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

I know Tim a bit and he's told me he's confused as to why they're not bigger also. I mean, their worst songs annihilate Adele's best.

9. Shordeli

...no.

NewSurrender and Awksome like this.
  10. ianzandi

Regular

They definitely have the talent, but I don't think the mainstream really likes rock music anymore. That's what I meant. Comparing it to Adele is like apples and oranges to me, but I absolutely love HoH compared to Adele.

11. Beholdtheriver

Regular

Well deserved! It's amazing how this band has "caught the wave" at a perfect time to become as famous as they are. There is some luck in all that, but they are talented, hardworking, and they are certainly writing more original and engaging songs than the majority of the mainstream. I think even those who do not prefer their music should see their success as a positive thing for music

12. Lucas27

Trusted

I love this band and the success they've gotten but this post rocks. Hahaha!!

13. Lucas27

Trusted

This might sound like a fan boyish thing to say. I dunno maybe it is. But I think two albums from now a lot of people who aren't on board with this band now will be surprised. Far from being the Limp Bizkit of this generation, I can see them moving further from the mainstream and gaining a lot more "indie" cred.

I think I understand why people can't see the genius of what they're doing about as well as those people can understand why I DO see the genius. Which is to say we don't understand each other at all. So strange.

AshlandATeam and heymattrick like this.
  14. DallasSF

I've seen them called the "new" 3oh!3, Limp Bizkit, & Flobots.

They're so far & away bigger & better than all of the above.

NewSurrender and Penguin like this.
  15. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

How original, a ChorusFM thread about Twenty One Pilots turns into people talking about whether or not they 'get' this band and then make ridiculous comparisons.

16. Their massive (yet seemingly underground) popularity is shaping the tastes of teens as they grow up - the majority of the people I know who are active fans of the band are teenagers. I enjoy their music for the most part but what bothers me is how they seem to be reinventing rap in a very strange direction, like taking the genre out of context and repurposing it for their own uses. As in, they don't participate in rap culture at all. I don't know if there's a problem with that, but I hope people don't use the "wholesome rap-rock" (yes, I'm being tongue-in-cheek) of Twenty One Pilots to argue against or put down rap that may be more explicit yet far more nuanced and thought-provoking than a silly mechanism like "Blurryface" or the emotional vulnerability that's touted in 21P's lyrics. It's the same argument that happens whenever a white rapper gets popular - it happened with Macklemore also, and he talks about it at the end of his latest record. Again, I don't have much beef with the band, but rather what their unintentional influence might be.

DallasSF likes this.
  17. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

they arent remotely as big as limp bizkit was in their prime.

18. kpatrickwood Aug 30, 2016
    (Last edited: Aug 30, 2016)
    kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

I think it makes a lot of sense. To be fair, I've never listened to one of their records, but every time I've come across em on tv/the radio /from a coworker/at a festival, all the songs are different versions of everything that's huge right now. I saw em on Conan and it was some dude playing a folky sounding light rock song on a uke, then I saw em at a festival and it was like 2 masked dudes rapping to an EDM sounding thing, and then I heard em on the radio a couple of times, and one of the songs sounded like a dude aggressively reading his latest tumblr post out loud, and one of em sounded like a Beibery slow jam. So to me it just seems like they're throwing pretty much everything at the wall and a lot of it is stickin'. Good for them.

Carmensaopaulo likes this.
  19. Lucas27

Trusted

I get this. Unfortunately, the exact influence you have can't exactly be controlled. Especially as you get huge. But I've seen tons of interviews with these guys (because they're hilarious) and aside from playing with A$AP Rocky and having the time of their life, they talked about what a huge influence Eminem has been once. So while I think the guys themselves do have a wholesome appeal, I don't think they're pious about it or completely disconnected from the culture.

Still, I also think they're totally different. Yes they rap and use hip-hop elements, but I'd say they have as many similarities with Kendrick as they do mewithoutYou. Obviously both Kendrick and mwY are more nuanced, but I love all three artists for different reasons because their music serves entirely different purposes. At least in my life.

20. Turkeylegz

Trusted

I think longevity is going to be a big factor but I think if they stay as big as they do, then they will be. I think that it will be hard because I feel like top 40 fans are more fickle in the social media era.

21. dorfmac

Trusted

As evidenced by the charts, it's clear that popular opinion disagrees with me, but this band is absolutely terrible. Usually, I can find some redeeming qualities of music I don't enjoy, and think more objectively as to why songs are popular, but I haven't been able to do that with this band.

22. I can agree with that, I haven't watched any interviews or anything so you seem to know a bit more. I would just hope that they end up being more nuanced in their approach to the culture and their composition/lyricism for the sake of music, haha. It's funny that you bring up Kendrick and mwY as the more complex musical cousins of 21P because their albums were duking it out for my number one spot last year (mwY won narrowly).

23. Their music is stupidly catchy, I don't think anyone could argue with that.

24. heymattrick

Pool Boy at the Vampire Mansion

Seems to me that the majority of fans of this band have an emotional connection to the lyrics, not just because the music is catchy. At least that's why they're my favorite band.

25. dorfmac

Trusted

Can't necessarily argue because it's all subjective anyway, but when I think of stupidly catchy, I think of another song mentioned in the article - "Tubthumping". It's stupid and it's catchy and it's hard not to sign along. It just doesn't happen for me with 21P.

While I don't think they are similar as some other posters have mentioned, I'd even say that Limp Bizkit is more stupidly catchy than this. "Break Stuff" came on my 90's alternative Pandora station yesterday, and (maybe because it's fun to yell curse words?) I had to sing along.