Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Twenty One Pilots’ ‘Blurryface’ Goes Platinum • Page 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 29, 2016.

1. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I could 100% understand people who don't like them. I'm a bit biased toward them because I have friends who are friends with them or their crew and live in Ohio so I've been following them for 6 years (well before Vessel was ever released) and watched them play in front of crowds of 100 people. To be honest, I didn't care for them when I first listened back in 2010 but then it started catching on. I became a huge fan in about 2011 (Regional at best).

When Blurryface was first released, I was shocked at how much I didn't care for it initially. But I kept going back to it and eventually I came to really like it. But, to each their own. I could totally understand why this isn't for everyone.

Turkeylegz likes this.
  2. heymattrick

Sending my love

Polarizing band is polarizing. People love them or hate them. Nobody just "kinda likes them". The ones that love them defend them vehemently. The ones that hate them make that expressly known (again and again). Same story different day.

Turkeylegz and AshlandATeam like this.
  3. felipecardel

formless in the night Prestigious

i think the music is not good but i'm completely indifferent to this band. guess i just kinda don't like them...

4. FrankieThe4th

things have never been stranger Prestigious

I'm unsubscribing from the thread and not replying any further, because some of you cannot hold a respectful, civil discussion without resorting to personal attacks here and on other platforms. Chorus is supposed to be a better community than that. Defend the band all you like, but don't take it personally when someone criticizes them or their fans for exactly the sort of behavior you're participating in.

Jacob Davidson and FTank like this.
  5. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Can't just throw out a bunch of absurd, baseless claims and expect people not to respond. Half the people who responded to you on here even said they weren't Twenty One Pilots fans. You're the one being "problematic."

AshlandATeam likes this.
  6. Jacob Davidson

Regular

The fanboys of this band are out in full force today I see.

FTank likes this.
  7. Jacob Davidson

Regular

For what it's worth, you presented your points fairly well. Dunno where everyone is getting all this "baseless accusations" nonsense from.

FTank likes this.
  8. AshlandATeam

Trusted

The accusations were:

- A brother of one of the band members tweeted some stuff;

- they have lyrics where they say their music has substance (taken to mean others don't or something);

- They didn't say they were in favor of gay marriage immediately a year ago, and then said 'of course we're in favor of gay marriage, but we didn't say anything because we didn't want to use this moment to promote ourselves.'

- Something about the rap/hip-hop scene that they don't actually consider themselves a part of (which is not remotely unusual or novel)

- They talk about mental illness (their own) and have called their music something that refers to mental illness (which - again - they are open that they have);

- The frontman paints part of his hands and face.

'Baseless' might not be the word, because those things happened. But whenever people talk about the world being super sensitive and everyone getting offended by everything, this is exhibit A. This isn't a band saying anything homophobic/racist/sexist; this isn't a band that is hitting on underage fans or defending rapists. This is - to even liberal folks like me who have been called 'SJW's elsewhere - all extremely mild stuff that doesn't even seem worth being brought up. It definitely seems like nit-picking just for the sake of finding something to not like about the band.

Saying 'their music sucks' or 'worst album I've ever heard' or whatever is totally fair. People have opinions, and not everyone likes the same stuff and one girl's trash is another man's treasure and all that. But calling them 'problematic' and then citing that sort of stuff is just not fair.

I can't even begin to say how many bands I've discovered through Chorus/AP over the years. Basically every band I've discovered since like 06 or 07 is because people talked about them here. I've also stopped listening to bands because of stuff I've read here. So yeah - it's not harmless to call a band problematic and say they have constant drama/issues. It both hurts the integrity of the band AND minimizes actual issues that actually go on. These guys shouldn't be lumped in with the Better Offs and For Todays and Kevin Lyman's of the world. That does a disservice to everyone involved.

buckcheeks and Carmensaopaulo like this.
  9. Jacob Davidson

Regular

They aren't being lumped in with them. Those are some examples of some problematic stuff some people might have a problem with. Not everyone does. That's cool. Chill.

FTank likes this.
  10. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah, just because two things are problematic doesn't mean they're equally so, and no one implied such a thing.

Jacob Davidson likes this.
  11. AshlandATeam

Trusted

The original post we've all argued with made accusations of racism, homophobia and transphobia. Those things were absolutely implied.

So yeah - not everything is equally problematic. But those are big, big accusations. I'd absolutely stop listening to and supporting a band - even if they were one of my very favorites - over those things. And honestly, in my personal ethical system, someone being racist or homophobic is absolutely equal with being sexist. They're on the same 'these things are unacceptable and I don't want to support people who promote them' category.

I think it's fair to have the conversation. If the accusations at rout there (and they were thrown out there almost immediately in this thread), then I think it's absolutely fair for people to evaluate them and argue with them. It sucks that it turned into name calling or whatever, but the tone of this thread has been incredibly mild compared to what I've seen in similar conversations around here.

12. buckcheeks

Regular

Very deserving honor for an extremely hardworking band. These guys are super humble and have worked their asses off for this. Glad for them.

13. Liz

Ew, David

I like their music a lot but I have always had a problem with Tyler for some of the things you've mentioned (Josh has always seemed okay to me). The painting his hands and neck black all the time and some of his superior sounding lyrics have always annoyed me but they're things I can overlook. However, his statement about gay marriage was complete bullshit. I re-read it yesterday and I'm still not even sure what he's trying to say. It's like he's trying way too hard to be ~poetic~ and skirting around the real issue (and somehow making it about himself, which it is not). Also, stating that other artists who show their support for LGBTQ issues just to sell music/merch is a pretty low blow.

14. Thursdaysox

We know it from the silence

Lol

15. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I think this band is pretty terrible but my nephew likes their song Ride cause he likes to sing the ride part so that's my cute silver lining to having to hear them on the radio

AshlandATeam likes this.
  16. ZeoVGM

Regular

Hyperbole is fun.