Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

TV's (LCD, OLED, QLED, etc..) • Page 3

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by billyboatman, Oct 29, 2020.

1. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

It’s definitely worth it. I absolutely love mine. The picture quality and interface are 10/10

dylan and sawhney[rusted]2 like this.
  2. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

Great source of information on TV's and new models and such.

New LG model prices.

RyanPm40 and JamesMichael like this.
  3. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Thoughts on TV stands with built in fireplaces? I think they're really cool but don't want to ruin a $2k TV from overheating it heh

4. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

What's the best LG you can get at the moment that's flat to the wall and not overkill on price?

5. Supernova Jul 13, 2021
    (Last edited: Jul 13, 2021)
    Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

I'm going to suggest OLED every single time. But of course its quite a bit more. This is the BX, the lower end OLED, but still OLED. $1799

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-65-...4k-uhd-smart-webos-tv/6401923.p?skuId=6401923

If not that the NANO 90. $1299. 120hz TV. Full array back lighting. Much better processer than the models below it.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-65-...4k-uhd-smart-webos-tv/6453310.p?skuId=6453310

If not that then probably the 8000 series. 1 step up from their entry level 7000, but I mean it's still a good TV. $779.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-65-...4k-uhd-smart-webos-tv/6452988.p?skuId=6452988

I'm a Geek Squad Manager at a Best Buy and have dealt with this stuff for years. I generally recommend people LG right off the bat, and it's what I have in my living room.

David87 and sawhney[rusted]2 like this.
  6. JamesMichael

Thanks for your recommendations! OLED 65” is definitely what we want.

The BX looks good but it doesn’t look like it would be flushed to the wall when on a wall bracket?

7. JamesMichael

Thanks for your recommendations! OLED 65” is definitely what we want.

The BX looks good but it doesn’t look like it would be flushed to the wall when on a wall bracket?

billyboatman likes this.
  8. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

I tried, very briefly, to use a 48” C1 OLED as a PS5 display and PC monitor at my desk. It was beautiful to look at, but absolutely scorched my eyes by days end.

billyboatman likes this.
  9. Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

You're always going to have that bump on the back that houses all the guts to the TV on the lower back of the set. So it will stick out 3-4 inches(?). The OLED is still absolutely the thinnest TV out there. There is a model that DOES sit flush to the wall that has all the guts to the TV separate but you pay as much for a small car for it.

(I Would say swing for the C1 OLED since it does have the better processer in it as well as more HDMI ports plus a couple other features..... I'm pretty sure Best Buy has had that one as low as $2099 before, but right now its $2299. However even I hate to stomach that much on a TV... and I didn't. I have the C7 55" OLED from 3.5 years ago. Still awesome though. Didn't want to pay the extra $$ for the 65" at the time. Kinda wish I would have waited but oh well)

10. dorfmac

Trusted

if you want oled just get the new nintendo switch for much cheaper than these tvs. everyones excited about it. it's exactly what we all wanted.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  11. JamesMichael

So I’m finally in the realm to make a move on a new TV.

I’ve been eyeing the G1 up as it has just been discounted in the UK by a couple of hundred with free mount install. The A80J has caught my eye though after reading and watching several reviews.

I just can’t seem to shake how nice the G1 looks mounted though compared to the A80J.

billyboatman likes this.
  12. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

Also looking to upgrade my tv relatively soon, I have an PS5/Xbox series X so I’m looking to get the best out of both of them. I’ve talked to a few friends and they are pushing me toward this tv.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-6...k-uhd-smart-google-tv/6453208.p?skuId=6453208

I know QLED is better but I’m also not trying to go too crazy on spending, any other recommendations would be appreciated too! I think 1,200 to 1,500 is the price point I’m looking for tbh

13. dylan

Most-liked person on chorus Supporter

14. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

My LG CX has to be one of the best purchases I've ever made.. of any thing.. Paired with the PS5 it is just ridiculous..

Now back to playing TLOU2..

15. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

Amazon's new high end tv's look pretty nice, and a great price, too.

16. JamesMichael

So I splurged on the A80J 65 inch this week. Whilst it might not look as nice on the wall compared to the G1, I'm very happy with the TV’s picture and sound. No need for a sound bar for me now.

The back bit not being flushed is also ideal to hide my Apple TV on.

billyboatman and Brent like this.
  17. NJPunkMusic

Die rad.

I was torn and researched for months on my new living room tv. It was between the 75" Samsung QN90A or the 77" LG C1. Most reviews pointed towards to C1 due to OLED, but for me I was more interested in a bright tv. I splurged on the Samsung. Its a good TV, just curious if I would have been happier with the C1. Regardless, both are way overpriced.

billyboatman likes this.
  18. JamesMichael

Personally I think OLED is hard to beat. I was pleasantly surprised how bright our Sony TV was as I had heard a lot of dark issues but our room doesn’t get a huge amount of light anyway.

I’m very interested in hearing more about Samsung’s new QD-OLED next year but I can imagine it will be ridiculously expensive.

dylan likes this.
  19. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

Honestly I think the CX and C1 are bright enough. Some reviews said the C1 was slightly brighter than the CX. But I haven’t had any lighting issues in a dark or bright room. Lots of natural light in my living room. My best bud just got the C1 during Black Friday, 1800 I think about and he loves it. The blacks are insane.

20. J12

Trusted Supporter

Agreed. The QD-OLED from Samsung and Sony is really, really interesting. I've owned an OLED since 2016 (in fact, I'm still using my 2016 65" E6 - it's still going strong and I still love it) and wouldn't ever own anything else as my main set. Improvements like this are fascinating, but I definitely think we're back to looking at a $4k+ price point for the 65", which is where OLED first started taking off at 5 or so years ago.

I had enough issues with Samsung FALD LCD sets to stay clear of them (and really all LCD) as my main set - especially for the price they charge relative to OLED now that OLED has decreased in cost significantly.

This year's updates seem pretty incremental otherwise, but I've been watching intently anyway. My girlfriend and I are building a house in the spring and I've built a 77" OLED for the living room into the budget. Just trying to decide between the C and G series.

21. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

Any recommendations for a TV in the $500-600 price range? my current 5ish year old TV seems to be on the way out and I may have to replace my MacBook as well. So not looking to spend more than that unless I just have to pay for a new battery.

Idk brands/models are regarded as the better ones

22. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

morgantayler likes this.
  23. clucky Apr 28, 2022
    (Last edited: Apr 28, 2022)
    clucky

Trusted Supporter

Are OLEDs really worth the price if you play a lot of games? The LG C1 55" on Amazon is only 1100. Which on the one hand is still rather expensive given you can get cheap 55"ers for like 350. But also seems to be a good deal cheaper than it used to be.

Got my budget end LED tv 4 years ago, died within two years, replacement only lasted another two years. Xbox Series X stuff looked fine on it... never totally blew me away and would definitely struggle to handle darks but I also am not really the kind to care about picture quality too much. If I could have more confidence the more expensive stuff might last longer I'd be more inclined to get it but there still do appear to be a bunch of reports of the LG C1s getting burn in or failing in other ways so I donno... maybe instead I should be looking at the QLED stuff in the 500 range? will that last any better?

Hisense also looks like a decent possibility. Like $500 cheaper... still gets pretty good reviews though the reviews on the C1 are so good I'm tempted to just be like fuck it.

billyboatman likes this.
  24. mescalineeyes

I wanna dance to me Prestigious

Best tv money can buy

billyboatman and dylan like this.
  25. clucky

Trusted Supporter

lol so I was like "well if I order it now I can get it on Saturday which given the old one I now have hooked up is 10 years old will be nice for some weekend gaming..."

and then immediately after ordering I was like "did I really need to spend $1400 on a tv when I didn't really have any serious problems with the picture quality on my old one :teethsmile::teethsmile::teethsmile:"

and then apparently there was a problem with my payment method. so order didn't even go through. And so now I again need to decide if I really need to spend $1400 on a tv when I didn't really have any serious problems with the picture quality on my old one

answer is honestly probably yes given how much everyone seems to rave about it, but at least I can sleep on it :crylaugh:

billyboatman likes this.