Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

TV's (LCD, OLED, QLED, etc..) • Page 2

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by billyboatman, Oct 29, 2020.

1. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

I especially agree with this when it comes to smart tv apps. Future proofing by investing in a solid 4K or 8K display should last a long time, though.

But then again, I guess there are always hardware changes such as special inputs to consider, like how speakers have mostly transitioned to fiberoptic cable and the introduction of HDMI-CEC, so you have a great point there as well.

David87 likes this.
  2. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

My dad got a TCL and loves it. I always read really good reviews on them as well. If you don't need the best and most expensive I'd suggest looking into TCL

David87 likes this.
  3. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

i prob misread that, I didn’t realize it was OLED specific haha. I just meant in general.

(I also am not 100% sure what OLED means so)

RyanPm40 likes this.
  4. RyanPm40

In a really simplistic explanation, basically every pixel has its own backlight vs an entire LCD display being backlit. Therefore, any time there is black on the screen, the TV will completely turn off those black pixels so you have "true" blacks and a higher contrast.

It's especially noticeable on a phone when you're scrolling through a black web page in dark mode with the lights off or something

5. dylan

Most-liked person on chorus Supporter

You need to google the model number of the black friday sale tvs. a lot of black friday tvs are specifically made for black friday prices so the parts/panels are cheaper and have worse performance. If it's a model number that is new or you can't find reviews for it, safe to assume it's a black friday tv and probably not worth getting. best time to get a tv is february after super bowl as it's typcially the end of the tv generation cycle, and places are running sales to get rid of stock after the super bowl and before the next gen tvs come out.

dorfmac, RyanPm40 and David87 like this.
  6. dylan

I disagree. I'd rather spend a large chunk of change on the top tier TV, get the best experience possible, and then upgrade 7-8 years later, than constantly buying new tvs and having to sell/get rid of old tvs just because they're cheaper and upgrading every few years for smaller upgrades (smart TVs, 4k, etc). I bought a panasonic plasma in 2012/2013 and kept it until last year when i got the C9. I'll have the C9 for another 7-8 years until 8k becomes standard or microLED panels become affordable. I think buying 3-4 cheaper TLC/Vizio/Samsung tvs over the same period of time is more hassle and wasteful.

billyboatman likes this.
  7. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

I should add that the smart TV functions are not something I would plan on using. I don’t trust the big brother aspect of it haha, plus I have a fire stick and etc. So if/when I do upgrade it’s purely for picture quality and size right now.

Dylan I had heard/read that before, thank you for the refresher. I always get sucked into the damn Black Friday sales but yeah I should just hold off until February

dylan likes this.
  8. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

So I am maintaining my self control and waiting until February despite some of the prices I'm seeing haha. I think I kind of understand what OLED vs QLED is. What is "Crystal UHD" from Samsung?

9. RyanPm40

Not totally sure, but it sounds like crystal uhd is more entry-level, standard 4K. I believe their QLED is better.

billyboatman and David87 like this.
  10. Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

I love my LG OLED. 55 inch C7 bought it at the end of 2017 I think. I transitioned from a Panasonic plasma. The way my living room is laid out there is just no way to mount this thing on the wall and it make sense. So mine will forever be in a corner. May eventually buy a corner/full motion wall mount to be able to remove the stand and then swing it out a bit, but that's a frivolous thought.

dylan and billyboatman like this.
  11. mescalineeyes

just admit that I'm the fantasy Prestigious

Not really that frivolous unless you just don’t like drilling holes in walls haha

12. EddieDS

Regular Supporter

is $2200 a good price for the 65" lg cx or is it just always "on sale" for that price? don't know if i'll be able to help myself if the stimulus checks are two grand.

13. dylan

Try greentoe. I got my c9 for like 1800 last year so I can vouch for it

EddieDS likes this.
  14. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

I know its had a lot of hate but the new webOS from LG and magic remote look awesome. I’ll probably upgrade from my Samsung TV this year.

billyboatman likes this.
  15. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

Really hoping it's going to come with the HBO Max app.

16. RyanPm40

Looks like HBO Max is exclusive to Samsung TVs (well, and technically Roku TVs). No other manufacturers at the moment

17. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

Wow, I had no idea. That's weird. I guess apple tv it is. I just really like the speed of use when using the apps in LGOS. They switch in and out in seconds.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  18. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

I didn't have much $ to spend on a TV this year since we're saving for a wedding, so we landed with the VIZIO M8 55", at least until we get a house. Love it so far, really only having issues with very slight blooming.

can't wait for it to brick in 3 years though!

billyboatman likes this.
  19. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

It's so weird, I have two Vizio's that are immaculate. I've have a 47" LCD since like 06' that works amazingly to this day and a 42" from 2015 that is perfect. Bought my 75" 4K and it died in exactly two years.. I just don't understand. Lottery I guess.

20. RyanPm40

Anyone know the best 65" OLED TV for $2k or, very much preferably, lower? I was hoping to spend like $1500 max but looks like the LG CX is $2200. Is it worth it?

billyboatman likes this.
  21. sawhney[rusted]2

If you're getting anything, the CX is definitely worth it. It's a more future-proof investment, absolutely. My Dad just got it and it looks awesome. But you should be able to get it closer to $1,900.

Not sure where you live, but my Dad was considering driving to Maine to take advantage of no tax.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  22. RyanPm40

Luckily I have no sales tax either :-p. Nice, thanks I hadn't seen prices like that at first, but can see that price at Abe's of Maine. Might have to jump on that deal!

23. sawhney[rusted]2

Definitely! Just FYI - new series of 2021 TVs are being released later this spring/early summer, so I'm not sure if you want to wait until new models come out or if you need it now. It's always a crap-shoot on the timing department lol

I just got a VIZIO M8Q, since we only have an apartment and I'm waiting to get a house before REALLY splurging. Will certainly wait until Black Friday since my spending will be out of control then haha

RyanPm40 likes this.
  24. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

I agree. Anyone looking to buy now should hold off as some of the TVs announced at CES in January looked dope.

billyboatman likes this.
  25. RyanPm40

Good advice on the 2021 models, thanks all. I don't flat out need a TV yet anyways, I just got a good bonus at work and figured I'd finally upgrade from my 43 inch lol.

Not sure that I'm willing to buy brand new, but hopefully it'll cause some good sales on older models

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.