Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

TV's (LCD, OLED, QLED, etc..)

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by billyboatman, Oct 29, 2020.

1. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

Couldn't find a thread talking about current TV's or TV tech.

In 2017 I purchased a 70" 4k Vizio M series for my birthday, fast forward to 2020 and it's already a paperweight. (screw Vizio)

Looking at getting a new set, either the LGCX or the Sony X900H. Looking for any other recommendations or what others might be using.

Or just to talk about current tech.

Setup photos welcome.

2. dylan

Most-liked person on chorus Supporter

I have the LG C9, can't recommend it enough. If you're doing any gaming or watching 4k HDR content, it's perfect.

billyboatman likes this.
  3. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

I've been super worried about burn in.. Have any issues with that?

Literally the only thing holding me back from getting the LG CX, well that and the fact I could get the Sony X900h 75" for 100 less than the 65" LG.

4. dylan

Nope. I pretty much play 1 game (destiny 2) and play 10-20 hours a week. I have some image retention when i leave the game with a static image for an extending amount of time, but the TV has a built in pixel shifter, logo shifter, and pixel refresher that eliminates the retention. I have not had any burn in, either.

The X900h looks pretty good, especially for the price, but I do not enjoy gaming or watching movies on LCD/LED screens due to the black levels, refresh rates, etc. I had a plasma last gen until i upgraded to the C9.

billyboatman likes this.
  5. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

Welp, I pulled the trigger. Having the LG CX delivered from Costco next Friday.. fingers crossed I don’t get a lemon like I did with the Vizio.

Costco is the best tho, comes with a 5 year all state warranty plan. Can’t wait. TV then the PS5 the week after.

I can do this quarantine thing all day.

sawhney[rusted]2 and dylan like this.
  6. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

Can anyone who’s knowledgable in TVs let me know if this Samsung is worth the money?

2020 55" Q95T QLED 4K HDR 2000 Smart TV | Samsung UK

I’m on the fence if to splurge on a 65” over a 55” but damn it’s another grand just for the 10” more in size.

I know people rate the LG TVs high but I really like the no gap mount on Samsung’s. I also prefer their remotes to LGs. Open to suggestions if anyone has anything different to recommend.

7. dylan

If you’re going to get an LED tv check out a Sony x900h, I think it may be XH90 in the UK. Otherwise like I said above get an LG OLED. What are you going to be using it for?

8. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

Worried 65” won’t be big enough for my living room and “viewing angles”

Especially since I’m going down from a 70”

I hope it’s negligible.

9. dylan

OLEDs actually have better viewing angles than LED/LCDs. How far away are you sitting?

billyboatman likes this.
  10. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

Roughly 12 ft away.

just measured actually haha

11. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

Just got my LG CX, can’t wait to mount it on the wall in my living room! This has been a great week so far.. I’ll let y’all know how it fairs. Fingers crossed I didn’t get a lemon.

dylan likes this.
  12. dylan

you doing it yourself or getting someone to do it for you?

13. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

I already have the wall mount up from my 70” so I’ll just switch the hangs over from that tv and be all good.

dylan likes this.
  14. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

Oh baby this TV is amazing. Very, very minimal vertical banding. Got lucky.

Picture quality is amazing. Can’t wait to see Miles Morales on this screen next week when the PS5 drops.

Very happy with this purchase. I just need to lower it and the size I guess I’ll just get used to it haha

sawhney[rusted]2 and dylan like this.
  15. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

upload_2020-11-7_16-23-10.jpeg
    Little too high. Thing is ridiculously thin.

dylan likes this.
  16. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

upload_2020-11-12_22-28-49.jpeg
    oh man Miles Morales looks amazing on the PS5

dylan and RyanPm40 like this.
  17. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

thinking about getting a 65-70" for my room at some point. kinda worried about someone coming into my house to set it up

RyanPm40 likes this.
  18. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

also, i don't really know shit about TVs, so i really want to make sure i make the right choice in the end

19. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

What price range are you looking at?

I can't lie, I'm definitely down to recommend a OLED, but if you're looking for something more affordable LCD is still great.

RyanPm40 and dylan like this.
  20. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

i'm willing to go a bit steep. just want something with great picture sound, and i'll be like 6-8 feet away

21. RyanPm40 Nov 14, 2020
    (Last edited: Nov 14, 2020)
    RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

LG OLED is definitely the way to go if you're willing to spend a few thousand. I don't think anyone really beats that. Otherwise, Samsung QLED is beautiful, and honestly, most 4K TVs look great today in general if you're coming from a standard HD TV. I just have a $500 43 inch 4K LG LED TV and I like it a lot. Picked it up for $300 on a black friday sale.

Whatever you do, just don't let a TV being "smart" influence your decision. Smart TVs don't tend to have great hardware for that stuff, and apps become unsupported pretty quickly. A 4K Roku or Apple TV are definitely the way to go for long-term support and performance

22. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

I thought Sony was kind of considered the "best" of the super expensive ones?

Are any of these "off brand" jawns that are on good sales for Black Friday work it? Some I've heard of, some I haven't. But our living room TV is a 43 inch LG and we sit far enough away from it that I'd like something bigger at this point. I think we've had it for 3 years, but I can't exactly remember haha. I like the LG but the deals aren't AS good for them as they are for these other smaller brands, some of which I know and others I've never heard of lol...like TCL, Hisense, Insignia, Element, Westinghouse, etc. I saw someone say "Fuck vizio" but they're also out there on the black friday ads.

23. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Honestly didn't know that Sony made an OLED TV so you could be right! I've always heard great things about LG and continue to be shocked that Samsung doesn't make one when they're known for making the best OLED smartphone displays on the market.

David87 likes this.
  24. mescalineeyes

just admit that I'm the fantasy Prestigious

Sony are the best because they use LG panels :3

dylan, David87 and RyanPm40 like this.
  25. dorfmac

Trusted

As someone who has spent upwards of 15k on TVs during their adult life, there is no reason to spend a healthy chunk of change on a tv. The technology advances too fast. You are better off spending a third of the price and upgrading more often than buying a nice tv for the long term.

RyanPm40 likes this.