Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Turnstile - Time & Space (February 23, 2018) Album • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by MattNCheeze, Dec 15, 2017.

1. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

u take taht back.

Drewski likes this.
  2. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Believe me, I want to be as enthusiastic about this record as everyone else is, but 4-5 listens in and I can’t help but feel like I must be missing something? I was pretty lukewarm on it before the hype tidal wave began swelling, but now all these reviews and glowing raves have me even more confused.

I’ll elaborate a little. Even by the standard of rah rah self-reliance in hardcore, I find the lyrics to be pretty boring and uninspired. In terms of the album’s supposed X factor—a hardcore band with an experimental streak!—I don’t really think that an electronic beat or a piano interlude count as experimental, nor do I think the tacked on flourishes are interesting in the context of the songs or the album as a whole.

Hardcore instrumentation doesn’t have to reinvent the wheel as we all know, but this album got neutered by Yip to the point the entire thing sounds like it was recorded and mixed inside a wet sock. Nothing pops. For some reason my mind drifted to something like “Awake” by Trash Talk as I’m writing this. It’s not the most inventive blast of hardcore in the world, but it certainly has a life in the sound that is sorely missing for me when it comes to Time & Space. It’s just...flat.

I’m happy for these dudes. From everything I’ve read they seem like good people and it’s great that they are getting coverage far and wide. Just wish I liked the music more.

bedwettingcosmo likes this.
  3. Borat 2: Vengeance

The Pitbull of Chorus.fm Prestigious

Glad to see people like this they are by far the hardcore band I think people that don't listen to hardcore would like.

bedwettingcosmo likes this.
  4. bedwettingcosmo

haha im so constantly about this. went and checked out their debut lp today and its solid as fuck too. can't wait to see them next month with CULTURE ABUSE. what a riot that is going to be.

JaytotheGee likes this.
  5. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

i listened again today. their sound is interesting i just wish they diversified a little bit more.

sophos34 likes this.
  6. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

Honestly show of the year. I can't imagine having a better time than CA -> Touche - > Turnstile

7. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

What if it was those bands plus the Menz, the Flats, and the Nil?

8. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

I'd love a Menz/Turnstile tour. Probably a pipe dream, but miracles happen.

9. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

Then I would have a heart attack

MexicanGuitars likes this.
  10. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I recently discovered these guys and holy moly. They blew my head off. So fun.

11. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

It’s funny because ETID holiday show basically did this with Menz and Souls so I’m content for life

MexicanGuitars likes this.
  12. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Best hardcore record of the year

13. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I need to see these guys live. Their live shows look INSANE.

Micah511 and KidLightning like this.
  14. duffe

I Want To Be There

sick video

JaytotheGee, kyle and johnnyutes like this.
  15. This album is so damn good. Might be my AOTY.

johnnyutes and AlwaysEvolving21 like this.
  16. Transient_Hymn

Somebody Turn the Neon Down Supporter

I just found this last week and absolutely love it.

Holy shit how did I miss this?

17. bedwettingcosmo

[​IMG]

18. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

OK I am admittedly late to the party, never even heard of them til the Coachella lineup came out, but wooowwwww this album is fuckin cool

19. Transient_Hymn

Somebody Turn the Neon Down Supporter

same same
    been in heavy rotation

irthesteve likes this.
  20. Borat 2: Vengeance

The Pitbull of Chorus.fm Prestigious

I LOVE Turnstile but I don't find myself listening to them all that much, personally Step 2 Rhythm is my favorite thing they've done. I will say I love them so much because the live shows are always off the hook, especially in Maryland where most of them are from but I've seen videos from elsewhere and it's always just nuts

21. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

This was THE hardcore record in 2018 in my opinion

cherrywaves likes this.
  22. i’m so upset i’m missing the show in LA tonight

24. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

trevorshmevor likes this.
  25. Snoblin

Goblin Person Prestigious

I've been seeing other artists do similar collabs, so this one didn't catch me as off guard as previous collabs did.