Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Turnover Band • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by SamLevi11, Sep 23, 2016.

1. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I have no idea. It would make sense. I am probably the only one championing a few more songs in the vein of the Blue Dream EP. Nothing against PV or the lat two song 7", which were both good.

ChrisCantWrite likes this.
  2. Transient_Hymn

Somebody Turn the Neon Down Supporter

I can't get into Magnolia but PV was prob like a top 5 most listened to album for me that year.
    I'd like a bit more variety in the medleys and some different instrumentation...like pianos and acoustic arrangements.

ChrisCantWrite likes this.
  3. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

Magnolia is the reason it took me so long to check out PV...I just thought that album was so bland.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  4. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Checked out Magnolia after loving PV, it's okay but doesn't grab me.

5. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

My problem with magnolia doesn't have has much to do with songwriting as it does texture. It just sounds so bland.

6. mattav152

Release My Mind, My Garden Grows

I love the overall feel of PV but I'm hoping they don't make a carbon copy of it. Working with Yip though, I don't think they will. I have a feeling he'll help them push themselves to their creative limits or at least to evolve their sound to something fresh. My only problem with PV would be the pacing is very samey throughout (minus Take My Head), so some less uniformity to the flow would be cool.

7. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

i do not know anyone, i am fully just trying to advocate for ridding the scene of abusers that could potentially be threatening to their crowds and fanbases. i love peripheral vision, i listened to that record a ton but i just can't bring myself to listen to it or support this band further with what i know about the case.

8. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

People wanting to talk about the music doesn't mean other people can't talk about the issue though

cwhit likes this.
  9. yeah, PV is the best

10. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

You know how harmful it is to act like the quality of a bands music matters in these conversations. Knock it off.

FTank, cwhit and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  11. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Oh please, I'm weighing the importance of the two discussions. I actively liked this band and I stand by the sentiment

12. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

Yeah talking in circles about something that's been beaten to death in this thread is super important

fenway89 likes this.
  13. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

more important then devolving to ranking like this forum is prone to do, yes. I'm allowed to critique the lack of differentiation in a band's catalogue while pointing out that a discussion of abuse is more important than the aforementioned point. Love you and hear you, just feel like you're missing the bigger picture on this one.

14. cwhit

exactly. that's what i'm saying!

it's different when people are like "So this thread went to shit. So how about we talk about the music." or other things where they purposely are trying to get away from the discussion about allegations at hand

15. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

So you're saying it's possible to have both discussions at once, since you can do it. Why aren't others in this thread afforded the same luxury

Joel, CoffeeEyes17 and cwhit like this.
  16. cwhit

ehhhh at this point if people want to ignore the discussions at hand to talk about the music i'm fine with it as long as they aren't actively trying to quiet that discussion

Joel likes this.
  17. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

What do you want them to do? What more is there to discuss? I fail to see an end game in hounding people to not talk about the music and force them to talk about the allegations. They know those allegations are there. If they don't want to discuss them they don't have to.

18. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

It's easy to discern which one of those discussions is more important, but you can't get upset with people who don't have the energy or desire to care. You're not wrong in what you're saying, it's the expectation you've set for others.

19. cwhit

i'm not forcing anyone to talk about it. it was a topic of discussion and then people were like "whoa whoa let's stop this let's talk about the music instead"

there are times in this thread where people in the middle of a conversation were like "hey i saw them last night it was cool!" and that's fine since at least they aren't trying to stop conversation occurring at the time

20. cwhit

the only times in here (at least lately, i can't speak for earlier on but i'm trying to change the way i go upon these) i've actively called someone out is when something said is problematic rather than just ignoring it and talking about the music. an active disregard for the things at hand and calling them "unimportant" is different than acknowledging it and still choosing to listen

21. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

-Ultimately, since this is Jason's website, I would like to think it is up to him to decide which artist does and does not get discussed on the website. Or if there's some kind of consensus among enough users/mods can come to an agreement upon that he will endorse/agree with. Besides, we still talk about Kanye West, and I could write an essay about why I don't listen to him anymore.

-While there should be a reminder and a discussion surrounding harmful behavior that said artist/members of said band may have caused, we're not here to "shame" people for merely enjoying their artist output and having a discussion of that. If they defend their behavior or fall into traps of stereotypical "anti-SJW"/sexist tropes and rebuttals? Well, that's something else and that's something that Mods/Jason will have to intervene on.

-If you've come in to remind or let people know about alleged behavior, that's fine. But there isn't a need to play "gotcha".

- Two of my closest friends still listen to/watch people who have been accused of abuse/harassment. I'm not breaking ties with them over it. I've watched a lot of movies, listened to a lot of music. I make my choices. I've stopped listening to a lot of stuff, for example.

-Yes, there is an argument to be had that if you financially support the artist, that is enabling the behavior because that is letting them carry on with their career knowing people don't really care one way or the other about said harm that was caused. I cannot stop every single person from doing this, nor is that my goal. But there is nothing wrong with having the conversation in particular. Just don't repeat yourself. You had the convo with one person once? Don't repeat yourself with the same person about it if the same thing keeps happening.

22. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

I didn't see anyone say stop talking about it, just hey let's talk about the music which means they wanna talk about the music, they wanna have a side convo and that's fine to say if it seems no one is paying attention imo. If they actively say stop talking about the allegations yes that's harmful but just saying let's talk about the music does not automatically mean they are also saying let's stop the other convo

SamLevi11 likes this.
  23. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

There can be more than one conversation on the go. But the people who just want to music don't need to be called out.

The comments obviously comes from a good place, but no one here did anything wrong.

Hopefully next time I check in on the Turnover music thread there is so sort of new album release announcement or resolution announcement about whatever happened.

24. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

Okay at the end of the day, it's a thread, the only way you're being silenced is if you're literally booted off the site. Post what you will. People will continue the conversation if they wish. I can't believe I'm pushing 30 and having this convo..first world struggles are real.

fenway89 and teebs41 like this.
  25. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

I do think in this scenario it was done to actively misdirect from that conversation but hey I'll see myself out

Edit: I still don't like the idea that I can't disagree with a band's conduct while pointing out their music is derivative - if both conversations are allowed to happen in perfect harmony why not address both?