Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Turnover Band • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by SamLevi11, Sep 23, 2016.

1. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Oh my god, just shut up. I addressed it already, now I want to ALSO talk about the music.

smowashere and JBoch like this.
  2. Top 3 would have to be Diazepam, Dizzy on the Comedown and Hello Euphoria

SamLevi11 likes this.
  3. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

There's no reason for this. Everyone's addressed it already, now let people talk about music if they want to without imposing your own fucking line in the sand on everyone else.

fenway89, btr, smowashere and 8 others like this.
  4. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

I'm not! Anyone can listen but trying to change the topic and trying to shut people up talking about it is harmful! Talk about what you want but don't get on others for talking about this

5. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

this is a lost cause, bud. someone in this thread literally said it only matters if "every member of the band is an abuser"

one or two? eh!

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  6. cwhit

oh, i know it is a lost cause. but it's not going to prevent me from continuing to bring these things up as long as things are unresolved.

Joel likes this.
  7. cwhit

seriously though, there's a way for people who think that they can separate the person from the art and those who can't to coexist without those who think it's not a big deal to try to change the conversation.

8. Transient_Hymn

Somebody Turn the Neon Down Supporter

What fucking resolution do you want?

fenway89 likes this.
  9. cwhit

overall? the band to kick out the member, make a statement on why it's so bad, and make it an important part of their band's internal DNA to make sure they talk about the harms of emotional abuse

though at this case they've shrugged it off for so long that that'd be hard to do

fenway89 likes this.
  10. cwhit

honestly there might even be a way for him to just make a statement himself and have it work without him having the leave the band, but i think at this point since it's been so long and i'm sure he's seen it that wouldn't work out well

11. Transient_Hymn

I agree what he did was abusive. Not the most egregious example, but not good either.
    I agree that the band should confront that like adults and attempt to be better people.

I agree that it affects my image of the band and imagine it does for others. Specifically those dealing with similar situations.

I disagree entirely that everyone needs too draw that same line in the sand.
    We can't determine someone's relationship to the art or how they choose to interpret the surrounding circumstances of the art.

We shouldn't grandstand and tell people they need to be aware every single time they try and talk about the music. They have the right to come to their own conclusion.

12. cwhit

i can agree with that. the part i have the biggest problem is when people are like "can we move on and talk about the music???" like they're trying to get that discussion to stop. that's the harmful thing here.

13. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

especially when "name your five favorite songs by a band where most of their songs sound pretty much the same" is not a more vital conversation

Jose likes this.
  14. Transient_Hymn

I think that is assumptive.
    If more information was released or their was a statement by the band, I think a lot of people would be interested in a dialogue.

Currently, we are talking about static facts that have been discussed a lot in this forum and others.
    Users seem to not want to belabor the same points and would rather talk About the music until the status of the situation changes.

MikeyPaine likes this.
  15. cwhit

it wasn't randomly brought up though. someone posted about how there were rumors that eric left the band and that's how this discussion started again.

asking people to "move on and talk about something else" just because someone is feeling uncomfortable when negative things are brought up about a band you like and you are justifying why it doesn't matter (as people have done in this thread) is not good. there's a way to musically discuss without silencing others

16. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

It's not uncomfortable from my personal standpoint...people just want to talk about the music. That's not being dismissive. Go ahead and talk about it with someone who wants to talk about it.

17. Transient_Hymn

There are a lot of assumptions in your above post.
    I don't think I'm going to sway you on this and that's okay.

SamLevi11 likes this.
  18. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

Nice lineup here.

19. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Serious question.

Do you know the victim, perpetrator, memebers of the band, families involved or anything like that, or you trying to advocate for sexual assault victims here?

None of the posters are doing anything wrong here trying to discuss Turnover songs in a Music forum. It's ok to make people aware of what seems to have happened. It's ok for people to discuss thoughts on the band. Someone had a good question. But people can make their own decisions on whether or not they still want to listen to this band, even if they are informed.

It's good to know people care. I think a few people are just interested in discussing more than just what you want to discuss. Don't take it personally

20. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

I literally made that post because things were getting to a pretty personal level and I had already said what I had to say. Everyone else is free to discuss whatever they want, I just wanted to be able to talk about the music whilst you all had this conversation.

.K. and FTank like this.
  21. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

Yea it's criminal to talk about music on a site dedicated to music.

fenway89, sophos34, .K. and 1 other person like this.
  22. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

And for the record, I have nothing against @cwhit and I've agreed with many of their points. I've just said what I need to say and made my position clear. If others want to have that discussion then I'm perfectly okay with that, unlike what they clearly assumed I am fine with them being criticised, I just wanted to be able to talk about some of the music that has impacted my life and don't want personal comments about "my case" (as if I need to justify this) being made because of it.

23. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Let's keep up the music talk. My whole reason for looking in this thread with hope people were discussing when this band will release something new again. They seem to work at a quick rate, and as we were talking about before, I'm curious if they are going to do another dreamy sounding record.

24. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Haven't they recorded with Will Yip again?

I'd imagine it will be a progression from PV. I think the two song EP is probably indicative that they aren't done with that sound and will keep the quality up. Change Irreversible in particular was great and I'd be happy if they kept the sound, although maybe with a few more quick songs like Take My Head, which they have been closing sets with lately, would be great.

25. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

I'm hoping that they stay dreamy, but add a little technicality to their songs. I mean, basic is good and it's obviously worked for them, but I feel like they have more to offer.