Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Turnover Band • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by SamLevi11, Sep 23, 2016.

1. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I don't see why you are trying to start a real debate, but mental illness can be a factor in both drug use or addictive behaviour and violent or abusive behaviour.

The real point is that a you can listen to music or watch a movie with someone who's done something wrong without being wrong yourself. As long as you know and understand what wrong.

2. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

I'm not up on the latest band drama, nor do I give a shit..all I know is I finally gave their latest album a shot and wowww. I'm glad I did.

3. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

This bands sound changes so much between releases. My favourite thing they've done is The Blue Dream EP. Peripheral Vision was cool in a dreamy sounding record, but I didn't let any songs stand out. Their first EP was cool too and reminds me of The Movielife.

I don't follow all the drama either, but it sucks when bands have a negative comment about something they've done. Even if it's just one individuals doing. I look forward to hearing what's next and I hope they resolve whatever's going on.

ChrisCantWrite likes this.
  4. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

you should give a shit about abuse

Jesse West, swboyd and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  5. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

My moral compass is just fine, but thanks for the lecture. I'm pretty sure there's a backlog of shit in every band's history. I've seen time after time users on this site condemn a band because of one asshole band member. I refuse to do that.

.K. likes this.
  6. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

I'm definitely into the dreamy sound now. I probably would've had a totally different opinion a few years ago. I mean, I certainly don't have an issue with the ep, the new stuff just happens to suit me more at this point in my life.

7. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I like the album as a whole. I wonder if this is a sound they are going to stick with. Their last two song EP thing was sorta in that dreamy vein too.

ChrisCantWrite likes this.
  8. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

It seems to be the safe bet nowadays. A lot of bands are making that shift, but I think they sound really natural in their transition. You're right though, the album is definitely better when digested in one sitting...New Scream may be the only exception.

.K. likes this.
  9. Deathco_019

Drummer

If you are going to write off people who are struggling with any sort of addiction, be it drugs, alcohol, whatever, and compare those people to sexual assaulters or violence, you have little to no understanding of what it's like to suffer from addiction. I happen to have very close friends of mine suffering from addiction (as am I) and they are truly wonderful people, so I would appreciate it if you didn't compare them, or I, to those who carry out sexual assault, violence, or any forms of abuse.

Also, and I can't believe I have to say this, but if somebody in a band you like is a known abuser and you willfully say that you "don't give a shit," you are a part of the problem and need to reevaluate your priorities.

10. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

How noble

cwhit likes this.
  11. cwhit

good post bud

CoffeeEyes17, Joel and Jose like this.
  12. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

That's funny...because I know people who are suffering from addiction who carried out physical and emotional abuse as a result of their addiction. Unfortunately, addiction can tend to put people in a bad headspace.

And to add..my point about, "not giving a shit," has more to do with the fact that I refuse to spend my life analyzing every detail about every band, artist, actor, etc.

13. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

14. cwhit

you don't have to analyze it
    but you know
    and you still don't feel a hint of dissonance?

15. Deathco_019

Drummer

Glad to know you can just generalize everyone struggling from addiction and lump them all into the same category like that. That's a very narrow and harmful way of looking at the subject matter.

And I don't spend my life analyzing every detail about every band, artist, actor, etc. either. Not sure why you would think that.

CoffeeEyes17 and Jose like this.
  16. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

If the whole band were full of abusers? Sure. Two sides to everything. I think we're too hypersensitive now..but don't worry I know I'm in the minority on this site specifically.

17. Deathco_019

Drummer

I'll tell you what, I'm hypersensitive because I and people I care deeply about have been compared to abusers, but, sure, don't take any accountability there. Who gives a shit so long as you can keep listening to Turnover, right?

swboyd and cwhit like this.
  18. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

Key words.. "can tend to." I'm not an idiot. I was a social worker for 6 years..I'm fully aware that not all who struggle with addiction fall into this category, but it happens. Sorry for being a super sick. I come off way worse on the internet.

19. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

I mean..yea, to be frank..people can absolutely listen to turnover without having to give a shit. It's a good album. That's sort of my point.

20. cwhit

We're not saying you can't listen to it. But you at least shouldn't ignore this and say it "doesn't impact your listening"

21. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

I get what you're saying, but sorry. No, it doesn't impact my listening because it's one guy, right? I don't think that makes me any less caring.

.K. likes this.
  22. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

No one is writing anyone off. I think lots of people here know people who've struggled or struggles themselves. Two people just chose to talk about music. Which I think is fair and fitting in a music thread.

Also, I am not a police officer. It is not my job to investigate potential crimes committed by people. I do hope any band who has a member who commits crimes or wrongful acts kicks out said members.

Don't think it's lost on me that there seems to be an issue with a member of this band. Every time I hear a Michael Jackson song I am aware of what he did. Every time I hear a Led Zeppelin song I think of what Jimmy Page did. I don't know any Chris Brown songs, but ive only heard he's done horrible things.

It's great that people want to stand up for a victim, but I did nothing wrong. People still have a choice to listen to this band. People still listen to Zeppelin and your talking about the kidnapping and rape of a minor which happened for 3 years.

So yeah, hope they kick the guy out or he goes to jail or whatever should happen in the sense of justice. Still wanna hear their next album.

23. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

So this thread went to shit. So how about we talk about the music.

What's everyone's favourite tracks from these guys?

For me:
    Cutting My Fingers Off
    Bella Donna
    Most Of The Time
    Diazepam
    Dizzy on the Comedown

24. Cutting My Fingers Off, New Scream, and Sasha are my Top 3

ChrisCantWrite and SamLevi11 like this.
  25. cwhit

You all aren't helping your cases by trying to avoid the topic and change the subject