Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Turnover - Good Nature (August 25, 2017) Album • Page 38

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Smittzerland, Jun 17, 2017.

1. loudasallgetout

Trusted Supporter

Breeze is my favourite GN song and they didn’t even play it live when I saw them :(

2. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

I think the narrative is clearer, honestly. PV just seems like a record in turmoil, from relationships to day to day living. GN seems like a record wanting to focus on how to better your life, get distractions out of the way, find peace, and live simpler. It's not groundbreaking by any means at all, but I have a pretty stable life, and am in a good relationship, so GN resonates more with me personally than PV.

OotyPa and teebs41 like this.
  3. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

It’s possible I just don’t listen to GN lyrics as much and am more focused on the “vibe”
    Of the songs.

4. Micah511

Both records are all about the vibe honestly. I know Turnover are not "deep" or technically proficient or whatever, but they just hit a sweet spot for me, and I've really enjoyed spending a lot of time listening to them since PV came out.

5. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

oh yeah, turnover is a band i enjoy because i like the moods they bring to their records but i don't think they're that good at anything else

Micah511 likes this.
  6. felipecardel

formless in the night Prestigious

if you don't like GN watch this, then picture yourself in his place

FTank likes this.
  7. enlliac

The Real Azor Ahai

As much as I think that GN is lacking, I will not stand for any Pure Devotion slander

ryanfears, Smage and disambigujason like this.
  8. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Ugh that chorus melody is so good

enlliac and teebs41 like this.
  9. loudasallgetout

Trusted Supporter

Yeah GN is a fantastic album if you ask me. Never anything but great vibes when I put it on. Just doesn’t translate well live in a bar rock concert. And that’s okay.

waking season likes this.
  10. cwhit

there are bands even more mellow than that album that put on shows significantly better than turnover ever has. it's not the music, it's them as performers

thisisnotbrianm, Joe4th and OotyPa like this.
  11. Micah511

examples? not being snarky, just wanting to check out some of them, haha

12. cwhit

the new hovvdy album is incredible and that band rules live

13. cwhit

we also probably have a very different opinion of what makes a show good as well, lol

14. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Y’all are nuts I loved them live

15. btr

Trusted Supporter

They've been boring live for half a decade now. You see one Turnover show, you've seen them all.

Also it's very weird to go from a chill vibe just swaying and standing still most of the night to people moshing/crowd surfing when they play "Cutting My Fingers Off".

cwhit and disambigujason like this.
  16. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

I thought they were good live back in the PV days, but the GN tours have been hit and miss.

Also I love their lyrics pretty much through all of their music. Different people have different ideas on what constitutes good lyrics, so I feel arguing about if they are "good" lyrically is pretty stupid when it's clearly subjective.

17. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

I actually wasn’t even trying to say they were good, just that they wernt “bad”

18. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

I prefer the pastry to the band.

Y'all ever eat turnovers? Delicious.

19. cwhit

i mean, yeah, they play their songs and don't mess them up, it's not like they're the hotelier in that regard. but there's nothing memorable which might be worse.

20. sonder

eat my shorts, jabronis

Yeah I've seen them a handful of times and can't say that any of their performances were really that memorable, unfortunately.

21. Are the hotelier known for making a lot of mistakes live? I’ve never seen them, but I could totally see them being one of those “passionate and imperfect” type of live bands

22. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Pretty much this, most of the time it’s the drummer, but it’s never enough to actually bother me:

trevorshmevor likes this.
  23. cwhit

Yeah, I’ve seen them do really good sets and I’ve also seen them do sloppy as hell sets. The drummer without fail messes up at least one time very noticeably per show. I love the songs so much it doesn’t matter but they are the last band I’d mention when putting on tight live shows.

24. Micah511

There's a fine line between being too tight/exactly like the record and sloppy. Joyce Manor are one of the few bands that balance this perfectly. Coheed are my favorite band, but they are almost too tight live.

25. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

So i bought a ticket to see them in London in just under two weeks and now my friend has pulled out. Guess I'm going to my first solo show in four years!

bradsonemanband and teebs41 like this.