Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Trump Gives White Supremacists an Unequivocal Boost

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The New York Times:

President Trump buoyed the white nationalist movement on Tuesday as no president has done in generations — equating activists protesting racism with the neo-Nazis and white supremacists who rampaged in Charlottesville, Va., over the weekend.

Never has he gone as far in defending their actions as he did during a wild, street-corner shouting match of a news conference in the gilded lobby of Trump Tower, angrily asserting that so-called alt-left activists were just as responsible for the bloody confrontation as marchers brandishing swastikas, Confederate battle flags, anti-Semitic banners and “Trump/Pence” signs.

2. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

He's the worst. It makes me physically sick that this is the world we live in.

3. Iamhollywood315

Regular

Man it's been a fucked up year already.

4. Eml182

Regular

Did anyone have "Defends Nazi and KKK" in their impeachment pool? For anyone that watched that Vice documentary, here is the star, nearly broken:

The hypocrisy of saying you are trying to do everything right and peaceful when all of the things you say and stand for are the exact opposite. You can't have it both ways.

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  5. vein.ftm

Trusted Prestigious

Fucking dumb idiot scum

6. Saephon

Regular

It's kind of absurd how much worse things keep getting. I knew it was going to be bad, but it feels like someone's messing with the universe to see how much lower we can go every couple weeks.

I would literally rather live in Idiocracy.

MrAirplane likes this.
  7. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

"peaceful nazi" is a contradiction in terms

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  8. AshlandATeam

Trusted

I mean, he could just not be a Nazi. That would probably solve things for him.

9. Eml182

Regular

I mean, he did ask for a solution, and you just gave it to him.

10. zachmacD

Trusted

No you don't

11. jameson4111

So the lefties are criticizing Trump for speaking the truth while they continue to divide our country even further.

12. Is this satire y/n

13. Turkeylegz

Trusted

Nahhhh.

tyramail likes this.
  14. estebanwaseaten

Trusted

this isnt really important at all but i hate that the vid caption says "balls his eyes out"

carlosonthedrums and smowashere like this.
  15. xenoabe

Regular

I've voted Republican up until last year. Fuck this guy! He has no clue, no decency, no diplomacy, no morals, and no right to be in the position he's in.

tyramail and Turkeylegz like this.
  16. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

I think they're just criticizing that he's defending actual nazis. Pretty crazy people would criticize that, huh?

17. Lucas27

Trusted

Even if leftists had been equally responsible for the violence in Charlottesville, Trump should have still condemned white supremacy until his face turned blue to give himself proper distance from them since they also happen to be his supporters. He didn't. That's a terrible political move and a terrible person move. Our president has more power to unite or divide the country than anyone else and not standing firm against white supremacy causes nothing but division, except among white supremacists, which is terrifying.

And even if leftists had been equally responsible for the violence in Charlottesville, at least it would be for the purpose of fighting injustice as opposed to a terrifying ideology that the color of your skin somehow makes you superior to all other people. It's the same kind of thinking that killed millions and millions of people less than a century ago. There is no place for it. Trump should be using this as an opportunity to talk about the Holocaust and the dangers of white supremacy, but instead he's whining about the media criticizing him while confirming the very things they're criticizing him for.

And for "fake news" he sure seems to talk about them a lot. I wonder why he keeps addressing something that isn't real? He must be a little crazy.

By the way, I'm a conservative white southern Christian male who runs the same circles as a lot of other conservative white southern Christian males and there are very few people in my circles who can even barely tolerate Trump. So if leftists are dividing the country by criticizing Trump and highlighting deeply troubling issues, I guess we're dividing the country too by doing the same.

Nope nope nope. Blaming the left for everything just isn't going to fly.

18. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

Wonderful response.

19. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

I also still have no idea what a "leftist" or a "righty" is, despite the fact it's used so much in lazy namecalling. This is a case of racists vs. non-racists, it really shouldn't have anything to do with the political spectrum.

Daniel182, Lucas27 and tyramail like this.
  20. jameson4111

When did I say the news was fake? Did you see what Anderson Cooper said on CNN? All they do is pick apart everything Trump says and try to divide our country even more. They should be focusing on the actual issues. What did Trump say about the protests that wasn't true?

21. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

The fact that he didn't completely denounce white supremacy on its own is a very huge problem and paints a very sad and real picture of the world we're in right now.

22. Lucas27

Trusted

The quotation marks around "fake news" were quoting Trump, not you. My bad.

Trump, our president, not immediately condemning white supremacy in light of white supremacists being his supporters IS an issue. It's what he didn't say, not what he said. And even though he did single out white supremacy briefly, he only did so briefly without carefully addressing the concerns of the people in this area. Then he goes on a tear about "fake news" dismissing the issue when, in fact, it's not just the media and the political left who are concerned by his lack of concern.

As for what Trump does say, his language is as divisive as anyone who's ever run for office, much less for someone who's actually in office. He condemns himself with his own words as much as the media does.