Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

True Detective (HBO) TV Show • Page 9

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by bedwettingcosmo, May 25, 2016.

1. wakaflockajamez

die die die, cry cry cry

Loved the first two episodes, excited to see where it goes.

Brother Beck likes this.
  2. Very solid start. Loving Mahershala Ali in this, and Saulnier was a good choice to direct.

local_corn likes this.
  3. PepsiOne

Formerly PepsiOne Supporter

Only watched the first episode but it was fine. Can’t help but feel like it’s going to dip noticeably in the third episode when Saulnier’s involvement stops

4. Daniel Sackheim has a lot on his resume, stuff I love and stuff I don't care much about. He's directed eps of The Americans, The Leftovers, GoT, and Better Call Saul, so I'm hoping there isn't a noticeable dip in quality.

5. Argus

Of sugar and ice I am made

I liked the first two episodes more than any of season 2, but that's also a low bar. Ali is great, but that's to be expected I think. I was equally impressed with Stephen Dorff and Scoot McNairy's performances, especially the latter. I also think the increasing unreliability of Hayes' narration is going to be interesting. One criticism I have is that it seems like Pizzolatto took far too much of the season 2 criticism to heart and is overcompensating with allusions to season 1. It's not the worst thing, though, especially if the story doesn't fizzle out in the last few episodes like the first season did.

BirdPerson likes this.
  6. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Does cool stuff happen in ep 2 or is finding the boy the only highlight

7. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

For me that wasn't the highlight at all, and I actually loved the understated way it was handled. Lots of other cool stuff if you ask me.

local_corn likes this.
  8. Loved the final shot of ep 2

9. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I think people are understandably being cautious thus far with this season, but as far as I'm concerned, these episodes hit the right notes for me. Mahershala Ali seems like the right fit for this character, but that's all I've got to really say yet. I don't see the criticisms in regard to the setting's sense of atmosphere and "too much allusion" as it's still too early in the season, at least in my opinion.

10. drewinseries

Drew

I've loved this so far. Bummed I'm back to a weekly schedule.

Brother Beck likes this.
  11. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I agree - I'm very upset that I can't put on Episode 3 tonight and just keep going.

drewinseries likes this.
  12. drewinseries

Drew

I wish I had the patience to just wait until it was all done, but nah.

13. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Yeah no way could I make it that long. I'm already chomping at the bit. I won't lie, I searched for nefarious way to keep watching but I struck out.

14. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I think I may just DVR all 8 then watch it in 2 sittings. Especially assuming that this is a slow burn.

15. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

i didn't think anything about these episodes was slow. i loved every minute. can't wait to see where this goes.

Taketimeandfind likes this.
  16. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

I have come to avoid binge watching. Too much of a good thing for me. I've also come to like the wandering my mind does when I give it a week between episodes. Fun to try and guess where the story can go and all that.

local_corn likes this.
  17. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I wasn't saying slow burn as a negative, I wouldn't change a thing about the pacing. I guess deliberate might be a better descriptor than slow.

18. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

No i know that, i just felt like they flew by.

I wonder why they went with the 2 episode premiere. Maybe to try and get people back in after the poor reception of season 2?

Serenity Now likes this.
  19. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Well if that was their plan it worked like gangbusters on me. I'm hooked again.

Sean Murphy likes this.
  20. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

saame

Brother Beck likes this.
  21. Doomsday

Trusted Prestigious

Only caught the first episode so far but I'm very much into it. The leads have me mesmerized already

Excited to see this play out

Brother Beck likes this.
  22. I knew the actress who plays the mother of the missing kids looked familiar. She's Grace Gummer's sister. They look so alike.

23. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Wait until you see their mother.

BirdPerson likes this.
  24. I saw Streep's name when I looked the daughter up. I never made the connection before, but it seems so obvious now haha.

astereo and EASheartsVinyl like this.
  25. a nice person

Trusted Prestigious

Enjoyed the first two episodes a lot.