Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

True Detective (HBO) TV Show • Page 8

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by bedwettingcosmo, May 25, 2016.

1. dash64

This is my design

Really wish they had gotten him to direct the whole season :-/

2. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Honestly, to me it seems like that was the original intent. Then for reasons he ended up officially signing on to direct just the first three episodes, and then he ultimately dropped out before production was completed. Honestly, it seems like working with Pizzolatto is AWFUL.

I Am Mick likes this.
  3. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Pretty sure he was supposed to do half the season, and while they claim it was scheduling that led him to only doing two, he has hinted that it wasn’t necessarily smooth going. I would definitely assume it’s Pizzolattos fault

4. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I know they've said that officially, but signing on to do half a season or three episodes just strikes me as kind of odd. I can see going with one director for the whole season, or also if by the end after working with various directors one person directed three episodes that season, that makes sense, but signing on to do the first three or the first half of the season just seems odd...
    I know the traditional ways of televion have kinda gone away though .

5. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

Random thoughts---

I liked it. Fans of Saulnier's slow-burn will appreciate moments in episode one. Visually it's pretty great. Would have loved his touch for the entire series.

The cast is good. Ali is a different type of lead. He's soft spoken and thoughtful. His rapport with his partner (Stephen Dorff) is good and different than the two leads in season one who are often at odds. Carmen Ejogo steals scenes. Scoot is good but kind of a deadbeat he plays often. Really cool to see Ray Fisher get some bigger work too.

Story wise - it feels samey which isn't entirely bad. I guess there's only so much you can do with the format.

Pizzo critics will probably hate at least a few lines.

It takes place over three decades with the most current one following Ali's character being interviewed for a documentary about headline-making case he worked on. I kind of groaned when I realied the set up because it feels like it's been done to death at this point but there are some interesting elements to it that got me invested.

It takes place in the Ozarks and mentions where I live in each episode so that's a fun thing for (mainly) me.

Main takeaway is that this feels like the followup most fans expected after season one.

astereo, Joe, dash64 and 2 others like this.
  6. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

So there are going to be two new episodes on Sunday night?

7. Sounds like it, yep.

8. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

9. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

If the only criticism is that it draws close comparison to the tone set by season one, I'm all in. That's exactly what I want from this show.

Night Channels likes this.
  10. Night Channels

Trusted

Slant is the worst

11. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

It is not

12. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I loved season 1
    Never even bothered with Season 2
    Cautiously optimistic about Season 3

Fronnyfron likes this.
  13. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Dazed and Confused reference!

14. Night Channels

Trusted

I like this so far.

15. Night Channels

Trusted

West Memphis Three influence for sure.

BirdPerson and drewinseries like this.
  16. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Definitely a solid start. I like the unreliable narrator element they've established with Wayne's dementia.

17. drewinseries

Drew

Those were my immediate first thoughts. I just finished a rewatch of Paradise Lost today oddly enough.

18. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

First two episodes were very good. A solid start. Acting is phenomenal, but it usually is with this show.

19. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

I have nothing against a slow burn, but these episodes were sloooowww

20. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

in my cynical moments I feel like this show was only ever really good for the directing and the acting, and Nic drives away every good director he works with

but it was okay?

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  21. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

HBOGO wouldn’t load for me last night, watching tonight I guess.

22. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Good start, super excited for where it goes next. Mahershala is unbelievably good, as expected.

23. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I'm deep in an S1 hole. Man, I remember how invested I was in all of the occult shit and symbolism. It's a shame they boned that ending

dpatrickguy likes this.
  24. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I thoroughly enjoyed the first two episodes. Definitely a slow burn so far, but I felt it was engrossing the whole time. Acting is phenomenal so far, particularly Mahershala Ali, but I thought the cast was strong across the board.

If I had one critique, it's that the sense of place does not come through as strongly as it did in Season 1. Granted, there's still plenty more episodes, and it's certainly an improvement over the basically just LA setting of Season 2, but I felt the unmistakable and deeply evocative atmosphere of where the story was taking place in Season 1 much stronger right from the first frame.

I do think Cary Joji Fukunaga is phenomenally talented, but I also think he got a fantastic opportunity that it doesn't seem like some of the other directors did. For the most part, TD has brought in very strong directors who have done excellent work elsewhere. I would love to see what someone like Daniel Sackheim would have done had he been given this entire season to direct similar to how Fukunaga directed all of Season 1 right from the get to. I loved the way Season 1 felt all of a piece, like one long story divided into 8 parts.

I'm not trying to undersell Fukunaga here, it's just a thought that's always stuck out to me that he had somewhat of a unique opportunity with Season 1.

25. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I did not realize Fukunaga did TD season 1.