Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

True Detective (HBO) TV Show • Page 6

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by bedwettingcosmo, May 25, 2016.

1. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Because Rachel McAdams and episode 4

715creeks likes this.
  2. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

“i’ll come back here and skullfuck your dad with your mom’s headless corpse”

3. drewinseries

Drew

Cmon now it is not one of the worst seasons of television. Let down from season one for sure.

4. primavera

nah, it is. it’s truly awful.

imthesheriff and dpatrickguy like this.
  5. angel paste

grey hairs, get out of me zoots! Prestigious

here for Jeremy Sauliner and nothing else. Expecting his first two episodes to be sick and then a steep drop off into mediocrity.

6. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

really not that bad. im real excited for this one.

7. Michael Qualiano

mikeq

Season 2 is garbage.

dpatrickguy likes this.
  8. PepsiOne

Formerly PepsiOne Supporter

Only good part of season 2 was Collin Farrell asking his son if the other kids shit in his shoes

dpatrickguy and primavera like this.
  9. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I actually do think the scene with the dude in the crow costume shooting Colin Farrell was bad ass. But it meant nothing and everything else was whack

715creeks likes this.
  10. 715creeks

Meet me in Montauk

Can we talk about how awesome the shootout was though. Almost Heat levels of awesomeness.

jkauf likes this.
  11. ForestOfAllusion

Old Aesthetic Prestigious

The worst thing about S2 was calling it "Season 2 of True Detective." Take that pretext out and you have a good dark season of television. Calling it one of the worst seasons of television is just flat incorrect. It took risks, it did something wildly different, and because of that it's blasted. S1 is incredible, no one is denying that. S2 is a good crime story. It's not perfect, and there is a lot not to love of it, but I enjoyed it. I implore anyone to say what they didn't like about without mentioning S1. And go...

Windowsdown likes this.
  12. PepsiOne

Formerly PepsiOne Supporter

I mean, if you’re going to take risks and try doing things differently, and it’s all very bad, people are going to call it very bad. Bad shows shouldn’t get credit for being bad in a different way.

13. primavera

how fucking dare you man

14. primavera

do i need to quote the line of dialogue that i quoted earlier today again

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  15. 715creeks

Meet me in Montauk

I might’ve been exaggerating. But I do think it’s a redeeming scene in that second season.

16. ForestOfAllusion

Old Aesthetic Prestigious

"You ever bully or hurt anybody again, I'll come back and buttfuck your father with your mom's headless corpse on this goddamn lawn.

Gotta quote it correctly because it so unbelievably heinous.

17. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Season 2 ended up being bad, but it had a lot of good things going for it. It had some really good actors doing strong work, even if the scripts stranded them in some horrible scenes. The writing let them down big time. The script feels like an extremely rushed first draft where there's a basic idea for a story and cool and interesting elements but they never took the time to properly work any of it out in an intelligent way.

My wife and I have talked about this before, and we both think one of the other things that hurt it big time was the location where the story was set. Season 1 had a really cool and evocative location that was dripping with atmosphere; Season 2 had southern California, where literally thousands of movies and shows are set just because. I know it was a made up city but to me it just looked and felt like LA. That's one of the things I am most excited about with Season 3: the story taking place somewhere interesting again. Between that, the GREAT cast, and the fact that they allegedly took more time to figure the story out I am extremely excited for Season 3.

I try to look at Saulnier walking early in the sense that sometimes turmoil can lead to excellent creativity. I think Cary Fukunaga is an incredible filmmaker but I'm not convinced he is *solely* responsible for Season 1's greatness, although he was undoubtedly a huge part. I like to think the push-and-pull between him and Pizzolatto really lead to making it great, even if Pizzolatto seems like kind of a schmuck in real life.

We'll see how Season 3 goes...

Windowsdown and 715creeks like this.
  18. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

That skullf---ing line was incredible - almost good enough to make up for whatever the hell was going on with the death of that rando guy, was it Stan? ALMOST. The guy is a total nobody and all of a sudden his death is a major deal for like 15 seconds. Stan! It honestly played like parody to me, like we were randomly in an SNL skit making fun of hard-boiled HBO detective shows for a few.

19. Brother Beck Aug 28, 2018
    (Last edited: Aug 28, 2018)
    Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Yikes - yesterday I talked about trying to remain hopeful for Season 3, and how I try to give Pizzolatto the benefit of the doubt, but this little anecdote does not bode well. Apparently he wanted to cut up the long tracking shot following McConnaughey through the shootout in Season 1 -->

Cary Fukunaga on the ‘Ridiculous’ Reason He Exited ‘It’ and Fighting Nic Pizzolatto to Keep That ‘True Detective’ Long Take

It's hard for me to even say this, because I think the single most important aspect of a movie or show is a good well written story, and I think overall in general the way most Hollywood productions treat the script - like sometimes going into production without one (!!?!?!?) - is horrendous and directly responsible for some of the crap they peddle at us, buuuuuut it does sort of sound like Pizzolatto is pretty arrogant and thinks his writing is better than it is.

Like I always assumed Season 2 was rushed through the writing process and he had to get it out there before the story or the scripts were really ready - but if he looks at Season 2 and is legit like "Yeah, that was amazing. That was what I wanted. Boom." then I think a lot more credit for Season 1's greatness should go to Fukunaga.

715creeks likes this.
  20. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Imagine shooting that and then somebody being like that’s cool and all but let’s chop it up baby!

angel paste and jkauf like this.
  21. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Also super weird how he tried to make fun of Cary in the second season with that one director portraying him.

22. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I can't come up with a good reason that someone working on that show would look at that and think to chop it up. When looked at in light of things like what Cameron mentioned such as the very thinly veiled caricature mocking Cary Fukunaga in Season 2 that reeeeeeeally starts to look like someone being overly Petty and not happy with any attention or acclaim paid to anyone else on the project.

23. Victor Eremita

Not here. Isn't happening. Supporter

I'll wait to hear about whether S3 is worth watching. I can't put myself through another weekly season 2 experience.

24. 715creeks

Meet me in Montauk

If it’s any consolation, Fukunaga’s Maniac on Netflix looks like it’ll be a decent time.

25. OotyPa

fall away

I'm sure if anything, Mahershala will give us another incredible performance