Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

True Detective (HBO) TV Show • Page 30

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by bedwettingcosmo, May 25, 2016.

1. kidwithhelmet

WELCOME THRILLHO Supporter

Bingo.

EASheartsVinyl and Brother Beck like this.
  2. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I honestly have no idea how it works, but do these outlets not get advanced screeners, similar to film?

Dinosaurs Dish likes this.
  3. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

That's a good point. If that's the case, I'll retract the comment about it being released in less than 12 hours but I'll keep the part about the "review" being 75% just plot recapping, which I still think is lazy and worthless.

Brother Beck and aoftbsten like this.
  4. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Totally agree, that always irks me as well. I little recapping is fine and necessary when you have to reference certain scenes, shots, and dialogue. But I read reviews to get a different perspective other than my own, not to be told what I just watched.

5. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I had trouble finding good analysis of the episodes from this season - basically all I could find were glorified plot summaries as is being mentioned. I would say the 75% figure is even generous for what I was finding.

6. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Sadly, this type of review is becoming more and more common.

Brother Beck and Dinosaurs Dish like this.
  7. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

It's because the internet/people need instant gratification and justification in their feelings.

If I can't go online and back up my opinion the moment the credits roll, what am I even still alive for?

Brother Beck likes this.
  8. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

The Ringer has a pretty good one breaking down the racial aspects of the season and how they kind of drop the ball on covering it in a meaningful way, but even with that one I would have loved for it to dig deeper.

And I think it’s common for shows like this to send out a few episodes before they premiere to get some early reviews and comments, but I don’t think they typically get the whole thing in advance because of spoilers and such. I’m not positive for this specific one though.

Brother Beck likes this.
  9. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I want to say I remember hearing that journalists got the first 4 episodes to watch ahead of time for early reviews, but I could be mistaken on that exact number... I do remember that it was not the entire season though. Then I wasn't sure about going forward though if journalists got those last few episodes early or if they just watched them when the rest of us did...

10. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I remember reading that too. I think one I saw was three episodes specifically, with the author saying that they thought that was enough to get a feel for it but not have any real answers for what the season would truly be like.

Brother Beck likes this.
  11. Agree with a lot of the complaints about the finale, but I enjoyed it. As the season went on, I became more invested in Hays' personal journey and his friendship with Roland. Seeing them reconnect, solve the case, and rekindle their friendship satisfied me. I do also like where the investigation story ends, even though we had to have some forced exposition to get there.

OotyPa, Cameron and aoftbsten like this.
  12. Argus

Of sugar and ice I am made

I think they'll usually get a portion of the episodes to screen in advance, if they get anything.

Overall, I liked the finale. I didn't love it, but this season was worlds better than the second. The pacing could use a little work, as Pizzolatto left a ton of stuff for the finale after spinning his wheels for a couple of episodes. I get that he didn't want to reveal too much too soon, but maybe he could've struck a better balance in that regard. I do wish that there had been more information about Amelia's death, as it's obviously a huge part of Wayne's story, and that's ultimately what this season was about. Though, I suppose we could presume that it was omitted because Wayne's own recollection is hazy or missing entirely.

13. OotyPa

fall away

First impressions, minutes after finishing the finale, are it certainly isn’t as bad as half of you made me to believe. The one scene with Junius sharing his story was pretty poorly written, but I thought a lot of things worked for the finale. Specifically the moment Wayne arrives at you-know-who’s house and forgets everything. That moment actually sealed it for me, dunno if it didn’t work for some of you but I thought it was really beautiful in a way (she didnt want to be found/he gets to continue searching for what was his whole purpose in life)

SpyKi, Fletchaaa, Argus and 5 others like this.
  14. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Let it simmer a bit too, I really like the themes that were explored in this season, but ultimately ended up not being executed as well as it potentially could have. Overall worthwhile to watch.

15. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Anyone that hasn’t seen Memories of Murder, it’s a better True Detective and streaming on Prime.

16. airik625 Mar 4, 2019
    (Last edited: Mar 4, 2019)
    airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

17. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

18. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

I never thought in 2019 I'd say "Stephen Dorff was one of the very best things about ___" but here we are.

19. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Windowsdown and Fletchaaa like this.
  20. Fletchaaa

Trusted Supporter

Yeah I just finished the season and it was good but I definitely felt like it was building up to something that never really paid off. I hope they continue to make more seasons. Season 1 seems was the best in my opinion and I'd probably rank 2 and 3 around the same.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  21. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Season 1 > Season 3 >>> Season 2.

Argus likes this.
  22. Windowsdown

I liked Season 2 better tbh. I felt like Season 3 was basically Season 1 lite. The multiple timelines and the interviews with the journalist, the way they tried to make the viewer think some occult shit was going on for a while (with the dolls)... There's also no real antagonist (Hoyt and Harris could have played bigger roles) and, like everyone else said, no pay-off.

I'm ready for this show to be cancelled.

23. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I considered Season 1 of this show a masterpiece back when I first watched it. I've rewatched it a couple times over the years and it's absolutely held up for me. I just finished rewatching it again and dove right into Season 2 after finishing Season 1.

I'm on the second-to-last episode of Season 2 now. I definitely enjoyed it much more this time around. I still consider it deeply flawed, but it is better than I remember it being. It does some stuff well, and the actors are really giving it their all. I really wish they had done the one director for all of the episodes thing like Season 1. Even if it wasn't Cary Fukunaga, I think having one director for the entire season improves how the whole thing flows overall. Especially with there only being 8 episodes, I really think it was a missed opportunity. The cheap shot at Fukunaga in episode 2 seemed even worse to me this time, and seemed like a pretty good indicator of how Pizzolatto handled the criticisms of Season 1 poorly and how Season 2 paid the price for that. Season 2 really needed another pass on the story / scripts to smooth out how overly convoluted the whole thing feels. You need charts and diagrams to keep straight what is basically just a bunch of rich, powerful people fucking each other over during a land deal. I still have no idea who the fuck Stan is, and the entire season grinds to a halt amid the fallout of Stan's death and it's effect on his kid and I have no idea who the fuck Vince Vaughn is even talking about. And I think Taylor Kitsch's lead character was one too many. That character and his associated storylines should have been cut or saved for a different season or something. Maybe just make him a badass secondary character. Streamline the show and give the other characters and storylines room to breathe. There was probably about 4 or 5 hours worth of good stuff in this season stretched out to 8 hours / episodes.

I'm going to dive right back in to Season 3 as soon as I finish 2.

24. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

I just think that human consciousness was a tragic misstep in evolution. We became too self aware. Nature created an aspect of nature separate from itself. We are creatures that should not exist by natural law.

OotyPa and Brother Beck like this.
  25. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I realize I am beating a dead horse here and going on and on about a show that nobody really gives a shit about anymore, but I finished up Season 2. It was far more enjoyable several years out. I think knowing it was going to be a huge step down in quality from Season 1 before even starting and already having an understanding of it's (albeit pretty glaring) weaknesses allowed me to just enjoy the good stuff that was there.

I do honestly believe that having one person direct all of the episodes could have drastically improved this season. One person would have been in charge of making sure the entire story has a nice flow over the course of the season, and most likely would have avoided the pitfalls that so many episodes of this season fell into: Glacial pace, extremely convoluted telling of what's basically a pretty straightforward story, exciting cliffhanger ending, repeat next episode. The actual murder investigation is barely a part of this season, which could be fine and a cool creative choice if handled properly, but wasn't done so here. The anecdote about Pizzolatto wanting to chop up the long tracking shot following Cohle escaping from the drug house in Season 1 Episode 4 in post production really reinforces the feeling that this season needed one main creative person pushing back on the worst of Pizzolatto's instincts to avoid ending up with what we got. I don't think Justin Lin is quite as strong a filmmaker as Cary Fukunaga is, but really few people are, and I think Lin directing all 8 episodes would have really elevated this season into something special. Or honestly any one of the other 5 directors involved as well.

The other thing that stuck out to me this time was that this season should have absolutely only featured two main characters: Colin Farrell's Ray Velvoro and Vince Vaughn's Frank Semyon. Would have been a cool riff on the Season 1 dynamic between Cohle & Hart and an interesting spin on the cop show cliche having only one of the titular 'detectives' be an actual police detective and the other be a criminal. The characters of Bezzerides & Woodrugh should have been saved for their own season where their stories would have had enough time for character development and wouldn't have wasted the actually really solid performances from two very good actors in Rachel McAdams and Taylor Kitsch. There is just SO MUCH incident in this season that things that should have an impact end up just sort of happening and don't leave much of an impression at all. The one that's fun to joke about is the death of Stan, but I think a more glaring example is the Woodrugh blackmail subplot: he ends up being blackmailed by someone who he is/was in love with and had very intense feelings and emotions for and a complicated personal history with, who apparently did not feel the same way about him and completely cold-bloodedly played on these aforementioned emotions and sold him out just for the money or as part of his job and then actively tries to kill him, and this person ends up getting his brains blown out right in front of him. All of this just sort of happens. There's even a shot of this guy's decimated head and Woodrugh in the background with some brains / blood on his face, but the scene feels more about the action and Woodrugh just kinda seems relieved to have not gotten shot and just moves on.