Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

True Detective (HBO) TV Show • Page 20

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by bedwettingcosmo, May 25, 2016.

1. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

So much has happened I feel like that theory was largely forgotten, it would be interesting if it came back into play.

2. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

The ending makes it seem like we may actually get some answers, it’s way less cliffhangery than I expected from some of these comments. The last half was very good.

I still don’t understand how we’re supposed to take his memories at face value, despite NP saying that he isn’t unreliable. This is at least the second time he has reacted to the presence of his older self in a memory, and that has to say something about the nature of what we’re seeing.

3. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Spoilers for last night's episode. I can't figure out the black blocking box on my phone .

I personally think the Hoyt lady just wanted a daughter again after her daughter died. I don't think it's tied into a larger, multi-state child abduction ring / sex cult. I think it's a good guess on the part of the documentary director but ultimately incorrect. I think Julie is the daughter of cousin Dan and the mother who OD'd, and one or both of them decided to sell her off to the Hoyts figuring she'd have a better life that way anyway. I think Will's death was accidental or at least not planned, and was most likely a result of his trying to defend his sister. Tom's "suicide" was obviously totally bullshit and he was killed but he's still a tragic character. I think he always knew that Julie was not biologically his daughter but he was her father and he loved her and raised her.

BirdPerson, jkauf, Rowan5215 and 2 others like this.
  4. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

I have a theory that Roland knows who is in the car that’s been stalking Hays in 2015 – I think maybe he’s worried that due to Hay’s condition, he may give up what they did in 1990 and wants to keep a close eye/ear to what he’s been telling the reporters. Maybe the house is bugged? And that’s why he looked out the window the last episode, definitely saw the car, and told Hays he saw nothing and that it’s all in his head.

I also want to believe that the interviewer/reporter (her name escapes me) is more involved in this that we may think.

Another wild theory I have is that Roland is somehow involved in all of this which would also lead to why he might be stalking 2015 Hays.

Roland being involved is the only way I can think of Hoyt knowing about what they did to Harris.

5. Argus

Of sugar and ice I am made

I found an interesting bit in an interview with Daniel Sackheim (who directed a bunch of this season, including episodes 7 and 8):

"It’s my contention that this entire story is essentially told from the point of view of Old Wayne, and that every time we see these things, it’s from his perspective. It’s his remembrance of these events. And sometimes his remembrance is accurate, and sometimes it is not. I think those are the building blocks on which the narrative is based. So that by the time you get to Episode 8, if it seems like there are inconsistencies, they are, I think, born out of the fact that his memory is slipping away."

He doesn't outright say that Wayne is an unreliable narrator, but he also leaves open the possibility that some of what we see might not be exactly accurate. Perhaps the inconsistencies between Halloween photos can be chalked up to this?

As for the "pink room," the teaser for next week shows West in the hallway which leads to it, so we'll definitely see it again.

6. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I view this as a stylistic choice to preserve the “time is a flat circle” motif. Maybe Pizzolatto is saying something about the thin veil of different dimensions. It’s funny how I mentioned Twin Peaks earlier because the finale has a scene exactly like this, where a “past version” of a character unknowingly hears their futuristic counterparts in a ghostlike way.

Rowan5215 likes this.
  7. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, I have no effing clue how Hoyt knew what they did to Harris, and so quickly - but that was an awesome reveal when he said that. Them sitting in their house over breakfast turned so sinister and scary so quickly. Incredible scene .

BirdPerson and Rowan5215 like this.
  8. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Amelia is definitely doing things in 1990 without Wayne’s knowledge, I think the meeting at the bar when she’s asking about Lucy and the meeting with Lucy’s friend when she gets the photo, to my assumption, are done without Hay’s knowledge. She’s still poking around way too much for my comfort.

Rowan5215 likes this.
  9. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

That is much more believable and interesting than what NP said before. He clearly isn’t someone whose view we can trust without question, so that aspect being dismissed by the creator hasn’t sat well with me.

I really enjoy when other shows/movies present time and experience as being closer than we realize/believe (Twin Peaks is a good example for sure) so NP trying to play it off like nothing is out of the ordinary took away some of that magic for me. Depending on how they tie it up I think those scenes could be really great on rewatch.

And it could possibly bring back up that weirdly censored sex scene as having to do with his view of Amelia or their relationship if in 2015 those times are too painful and he has locked them away. I guess basically for me whether or not the season is successful depends on how Wayne’s memory is reconciled in the grand scheme of what we see.

Argus likes this.
  10. Dinosaurs Dish Feb 18, 2019
    (Last edited: Feb 18, 2019)
    Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I find that I consume and enjoy these kind of shows differently than most people. I care way more about the overall vibe and emotional impact I get from it than the plot. I don't really try to figure out where things are going or dissect small details in the background, etc... to come up with theories or anything. I just like the way they make me feel and I feel this season has been captivating and just fantastic so far. Acting across the board is amazing, Ali in particular obviously, and the music has been chilling.

I'm excited to see where it goes but I can't really fathom a finale so "bad" that it ruins the whole season for me. Even some of the weirdest and most eyerolling finales I've seen (Fargo season 2) isn't that big of a deal and I'd still fully recommend watching it for multiple other reasons.

aoftbsten, jkauf and OotyPa like this.
  11. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Ali's portrayal of a broken old man is simply heartbreaking. I don't know what would be worse: the dementia or living with such regret. Damn, what a performance.

BirdPerson, Argus, aoftbsten and 2 others like this.
  12. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Dementia is so horrific. Losing yourself completely is just on another level from even the worst regrets or pains in life.

BirdPerson and Dinosaurs Dish like this.
  13. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Oh, the interviewer is named Elisa Montgomery and is played by Sarah Gadon who I've only seen in a few other things but is brilliant and graceful and radiant in Enemy. Highly, highly recommend that one.

715creeks likes this.
  14. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I hate that they have given her so little to do in this. She can be fantastic but so far she’s just a blank slate of a character. I loved her in A Dangerous Method where she had a small but difficult role.

Dinosaurs Dish likes this.
  15. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I agree, I wish she had more to do as well.

16. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

I am holding out hope that she ends up playing a surprisingly larger role. Initially i thought maybe she's julie's daughter. Assuming julie would be in her mid to late 40s in 2015 if shes even still alive, Elisa looks like she could be late 20s early 30s, perfect age range. Probably a stretch, but it would make for an interesting turn if shes trying uncover what really happened to her mother especially if julie has since passed after the events of 1990.

BirdPerson likes this.
  17. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I'd find that too hokey. I don't think making people related to each other is innately interesting.

Also, watching this makes me want to watch season one again. Maybe I'll do that this week.

Night Channels likes this.
  18. Slangster

Won "Best Hog" at the Hog Shit Snarfing Contest Supporter

Holy smokes, I knew she looked familiar. She's so good in that movie.

19. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

Reading all these theories has me hyped for the finale is all I can say.

20. 715creeks

Meet me in Montauk

Enemy is the first Villeneuve flick I ever watched, since then I’ve watch his entire filmography. Probably my all time favorite director at this point. Didn’t even realize that it was her.

21. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Unless it was all a misdirect, I feel like this is definitely where last night’s episode hinted it was going. Thought the same thing myself once 2015 Wayne and Roland heard about Isabelle Hoyt.

BirdPerson likes this.
  22. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

My final longshot theory is that Elisa was hired by Hoyt to see what else Hayes knows. Stoked for the finale. I can understand why some of you might be frustrated by the withholding of information, but I've been enjoying this mostly for the characters and less the mystery.

23. Anthony_ Feb 18, 2019
    (Last edited: Feb 18, 2019)
    Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Stoked for Michael Rooker next week too

BirdPerson likes this.
  24. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Season never really picked up as it went all along, still enjoying it though.

25. Argus

Of sugar and ice I am made

I'm torn on whether Isabelle is the woman in the car because they mentioned that she never left the estate after her accident in 1977. Though, they mentioned that Mr. June took care of her, so maybe he took her with him without anyone else knowing.

I still think Lori is somehow involved, whether as the woman in the car or something else. Maybe she's the one who found Will and posed his body? She did go to their church, so she'd have been familiar with that pose. Plus, 2015 Roland seems all too happy to let old Wayne think that he was never close to marriage, despite he and Lori being engaged in 1990. Maybe she knew too much about the situation and got silenced by Hoyt as well? Or, maybe she's Elisa's mother? Five more days!

I was wondering the same thing, but my wife pointed out that the preview for episode 5 shown after 4 indicated it would be available to stream early, and there was nothing like that this week.