Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

True Detective (HBO) TV Show • Page 19

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by bedwettingcosmo, May 25, 2016.

1. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Also—you have nothing to worry about. The most recent episode is the best one of the season so far and also gets us closer to solving the case.

Dinosaurs Dish likes this.
  2. Brother Beck Feb 18, 2019
    (Last edited: Feb 18, 2019)
    Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I agree with what you are saying here, but for me I am not saying this is an otherwise great season of television. I've been frustrated with the withholding of information and the purposeful obfuscation of simple facts all season long. They withheld or didn't tell us things just because. That's different than mystery. I don't think this season is a misfire like Season 2. There are a lot of absolutely amazing things going on here. The characters and acting are incredible. I'm not even hung up on the facts of the mystery or weird theories or anything like that - I am just worried that with one hour left when this is all over the story was going to have unfolded in a unsatisfying way. Like I said, I hope I'm wrong. I admit, I'm not good at having to wait a week between episodes of shows like this, I'd rather watch them all at once or on successive nights .

Rowan5215 and OotyPa like this.
  3. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

“Trudging through narrative trash hoping for light,” is a very appropriate way to talk about this show. And that finale is still awful enough to change the feeling of the entire series. It should have ended after 4, and if they blow this we’ll end up with a show that should have just been a miniseries.

Rowan5215 likes this.
  4. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Seasons 1, 2 and 4 are the only good seasons of Dexter. Everything else is truly terrible.

Don't even get me started on HIMYM I am barely through my coffee.

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  5. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I’m curious, aside from the slow-crawl, what narrative parts of this season are weak for you? Comparing the writing of this show to Dexter seems a little hyperbolic, don’t you think?

Rowan5215 likes this.
  6. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

I have way more questions going into a finale than I think I would have anticipated or even wanted.

I will spoiler tag because I r-e-s-p-e-c-t the 24 hour rule,

We can assume the Hoyts had Lucy and Dan killed because of their knowledge/involvement/maybe threatening to expose the abduction/child ring, so I don’t think I need to go any further with them
    I wanted to know more about the pink room but I think I am fine just assuming it’s the holding place for whatever children they abduct, maybe it’s a pink room because they only abduct girls?
    is this even about a ring or chain of child abductions, or do we think this Isabelle Hoyt (who I think it’s fair to now assume is the white lady accompanying “mr june”, the black man) just wanted to have a daughter again after hers was killed, and Julie was meant to be that daughter replacement, and Lucy agreed to sell her??
    And finally,

how did Hoyt know about what they did to Harris?

7. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Also, this was back in like episode 1 or 2 so im not gonna tag it, but didn’t the interviewer (her name escapes me) mention something in passing about “what happened between Julie Purcell and her father in ‘90”??

Are we ever gonna see Julie?? I think by now we are all assuming Tom isn’t her real father.

8. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I was including S2 in that comparison. I think most people were willing to give this a try based on their love of S1 and hoping S2 was a fluke. Whether or not that is the case really depends on how they finish. If it’s a strong ending that could be the light at the end of the tunnel, but if they try the same things that S1 did (or worse) it won’t be worth returning to.

I do have major issues with the season though. It has a lot of the problems this dude is known for. A lot of the dialogue still seems forced to me, the way he writes women is still super disappointing, there are too many threads that stand out as just being meant to tease the audience instead of having a purpose within the show itself, and that’s just off the top of my head.

A lot of the acting is top notch no matter what they’re throwing at them, and that has saved a lot of the scenes. I’m not as impressed with Dorff as everyone else seems to be, but Mahershala and Scoot have been great. Carmen has been too but they haven’t given her enough room or time to really stand out like I hoped for in the first few episodes.

9. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

if you knew exactly where this was going then what would be the point of even watching the final episode?

10. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I don’t expect to know where it’s going, I expect to have a complete narrative by the end. I will not be satisfied by the “nothing matters” tropes of S1. This season can’t stand up to just zero answers.

11. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

that's fair. I feel like there's still enough time but I also wouldn't be surprised if we end up with a bathetic ending. I'm just saying let it takes its course. judge it at the end

12. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Sharp Objects is a great example of something that asked a tremendous amount of questions right up until the finale and then managed to stick the landing and be incredibly satisfying. If they can tie up the threads into something cohesive and meaningful about time and memory and loss and identity I’ll be all for it.

Slangster, OotyPa and Brother Beck like this.
  13. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

the finale is going to clash with the Oscars next week, wonder if they'll put it out on Friday like they did with the episode that interfered with the Super Bowl.

14. Brother Beck Feb 18, 2019
    (Last edited: Feb 18, 2019)
    Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Reflecting what OotyPa is saying, I would watch Season 4 of TD no matter what happens in this episode. There are too many things I like a lot about this show. That being said, I do want them to stick this landing and tell a satisfying story with this season. I'm glad to hear the finale is 75 minutes. I still think theres a lot left for one hour .

I really want them to bring in one director for all of Season 4. I truly think that is one of the biggest factors that makes for a better season. It's one of the big things that made Season 1 feel like something special and it's own thing versus just a show made up of a bunch of good episodes. So far I would be happy with any of the directors who have worked on the show so far, with the exception of Pizzolatto himself. Although I do think he proved he can direct, I think he is at his best when collaborating with a director. I was extremely impressed with Daniel Sackheim this season when I thought going in I was going to be bummed about losing Jeremy Saulnier earlier than planned .

15. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

That’s too much potential for letdowns in one night.

Sean Murphy likes this.
  16. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Y'all see the newest season of Twin Peaks? That's another great example of a show that asks a lot of questions and isn't afraid of leaving them unanswered. Same with The Leftovers.

Dinosaurs Dish and kupe like this.
  17. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Watching now and that pumpkin woman giving Amelia a different photo than what she first showed is MAJORLY SUSPECT. How did she not notice that??

18. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I missed that completely.

OotyPa likes this.
  19. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

must have been the Julie phone call, right?

20. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

that's what i'm thinking but I thought maybe there would be an actual encounter.

Rowan5215 likes this.
  21. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

oh shit, i missed that also.

Rowan5215 likes this.
  22. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I definitely have to rewatch the whole season after it is all out. I am bad about forgetting a lot of the details by the time a whole week goes by. It's not that the timelines are confusing per se, but after a week goes by and we jump back in I find myself thinking I'm in the wrong timeline for a few minutes sometimes .

Rowan5215 likes this.
  23. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

It could definitely be a production mistake, but that would be disappointing. Much cooler for it to be part of the case. I guess we’ll know if anyone mentions the subjects again later.

24. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah they just showed the pic again and it doesn’t have the car, so either there’s something really big going on with them getting switched out a second time, or the crew totally botched that.

25. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

if that's the case maybe the car had a visible license plate/matching description she didn't want found out. maybe she's more involved than i assumed.