Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

True Detective (HBO) TV Show • Page 18

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by bedwettingcosmo, May 25, 2016.

1. Argus

Of sugar and ice I am made

Vince Vaughn's monologue about the rats in the basement and everything being papier mache is incredible.

SpyKi likes this.
  2. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

This is a very strange sentence having never seen S2.

Dinosaurs Dish and Serenity Now like this.
  3. 715creeks

Meet me in Montauk

It’s actually a quote from Wedding Crashers

4. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

That post sent me down a wormhole of looking up bad quotes from S2 and WOOOOOOOW is it bad. I watched a video with lines out of context and multiple places made me laugh out loud in bed.

Argus likes this.
  5. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Honestly, I feel like Season 2 was so rushed that you ended up getting A LOT of Pizzolatto's worst tendencies making it right up onto the screen. Much of the dialogue sounds like it came straight from a first draft that desperately needed several more passes despite being delivered by damn good actors trying their hardest to make it work, and the overall story that the whole season tells was very lackluster and didn't really go anywhere interesting.

6. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Pumped for tonight

Brother Beck likes this.
  7. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I cannot wait.

8. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Here we go yo

9. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Fuck

10. OotyPa

fall away

That was fucking wild.

11. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Hopefully they stick the landing

BirdPerson likes this.
  12. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Heyyyy season 1 tie in

Rowan5215 likes this.
  13. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Gaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I NEED TO KNOW MOREE

14. Rooker!

Man, high hopes going into the finale.

15. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

That was kinda frustrating. Need to know more!

16. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

I’m think i’m officially worried that they’re not gonna tie everything up in a satisfying manner with one episode left

kidwithhelmet and 715creeks like this.
  17. 715creeks

Meet me in Montauk

That would be the ultimate nihilistic ending. An exercise in ambiguity if you would.

Dinosaurs Dish and Rowan5215 like this.
  18. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

lol Wayne's "you have to learn to live with ambiguity" line seemed like a pretty direct warning that shit might not tie up fully

damn that last 20 minutes though. like a horror movie, even the score was terrifying

19. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

I think theres a difference between leaving a few things to the imagination and straight up not answering some questions though.

BirdPerson and EASheartsVinyl like this.
  20. kidwithhelmet Feb 18, 2019
    (Last edited: Feb 18, 2019)
    kidwithhelmet

WELCOME THRILLHO Supporter

I'll take this sentiment one step further: I'm worried that I've been watching a good show, expecting it to become a great show, and will end up with an average and largely forgettable one.

21. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I think this is where I'm at right now.....

This was a good episode, but I'm worried they've dragged their feet too much and withheld way too many things simply for the sake of withholding things, and now they are running out of time in a big way. I could be wrong, they might nail this ending, but I'm worried. I feel like the story stuff that happened here would have been perfect on episodes 5 or 6 maybe, not episode 7. We'll see...

Also, I think with HBO the episode lengths can be longer, but I believe these have all been right at the hour mark or damn close.

Acting continues to be phenomenal. I don't mean to ignore Mahershala Ali because he is incredible across all three timelines and in every scene, but I continue to be surprised by Stephen Dorff. There was a look he gave right before he said the "we're over it, brother" line that said everything so well that line wasn't even needed, and that is through some less-than-stellar old age makeup. Two powerhouse performances in roles that wound up being much different than I thought they were going to be heading into this season.

BirdPerson and Rowan5215 like this.
  22. OotyPa Feb 18, 2019
    (Last edited: Feb 18, 2019)
    OotyPa

fall away

I disagree with that. If an otherwise great season of television has an ending you don’t agree with, that doesn’t negate everything you enjoyed up to that point. What a mindless way to consume art, if you dismiss it the moment the narrative doesn’t reflect your expectations. There was so much more to this season than the murder case. I’ve grown pretty attached to these characters and this setting in these 7 episodes; I admit I’ll be disappointed if it doesn’t wrap up, but it won’t dilute everything they built to this point.

Also something worth considering, they’ve expanded the universe of True Detective last night by connecting season one with this season. It’s entirely possible they’ll explore the deeper complexities of this case (and season one’s case) in a future season.

23. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

the finale is 75 minutes I believe. also Scoot McNairy is my personal acting MVP for this season - that interrogation scene

BirdPerson and PepsiOne like this.
  24. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Sounds like someone hasn’t seen HIMYM. Or Dexter. Bad endings can absolutely sour everything that came before them in retrospect.

I’ll be able to watch today but these posts have me incredibly worried that they’re doing everything I hoped against in here.

Argus and Sean Murphy like this.
  25. OotyPa

fall away

I’ve seen every season of Dexter and you’d be lying to yourself if you believe it didn’t go downhill until the finale. There were entire seasons worth of narrative trash, and I still trudged through them hoping for light on the other side. That doesn’t mean I didn’t like the show.