Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

True Detective (HBO) TV Show • Page 17

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by bedwettingcosmo, May 25, 2016.

1. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Dorff's reactions were heartbreaking in this episode - him having to go into that interrogation room and tear into Tom, and in doing so sort of protecting him from the other detectives who would treat him worse but then having to be a part of it and do that to the person himself; him watching his friend and partner of decades struggle because his brain isn't working anymore.

Ali continues to be a goddamned powerhouse as well. I absolutely LOVED the scene where he calls his son out on having an affair with the TV show lady. Such a great scene done with subtlety.

I do still think they are playing a little too coy with the information for where we are at in the season though. It really does just seem like willful obfuscation sometimes which just feels annoying as a viewer.

OotyPa and Rowan5215 like this.
  2. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Yea, this was another great episode. My favorite scene was with old Wayne and old Rolland. Wayne forgetting multiple times that Rolland had been at his house was another heartbreaking moment.

I think it mostly confirms the theory that Julie isn't Tom's kid and that she is the offspring of the Boss at Hoyt. He arranged to kidnap her and house her in that pink room.

Rowan5215 likes this.
  3. drewinseries

Drew

Gonna watch this with lunch at work today. Excited.

Serenity Now likes this.
  4. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Honestly, it seemed to me like Julie is creepy Uncle Dan's child, and he was even going to admit as much to Scoot McNairy's character but didn't get it all out amidst the beating and begging for his life. I took a lot of what Dan said to mean that him and the mother weren't related by blood even though they were raised as siblings, she came to live with them when she was young. They grew up together and called each other brother and sister but also had a sexual relationship over the years. Dan seemed taken aback when Tom implied he was watching Julie through the peep-hole, like his face was like "WTF?!? I'm not that kind of creep, that's my own daughter!" but he didn't get a chance to get all of those words out , he started but Tom kinda cut him off.

OotyPa likes this.
  5. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

So I see on Reddit people are speculating that Roland is also gay and maybe had something going with Tom. If that’s so, maybe he killed Harris for killing Tom? Any thoughts?

6. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I didn't see anything at all indicating that Roland may be having any other relationship with Tom other than what we saw them have, but like I said, it really does feel like they are withholding information on purpose at this point, so I suppose literally anything is possible....

I am going to be very upset if there are some twists about Roland that radically change his character. He's such a good guy when that was not at all what I was expecting from his character when he was first introduced. Not referring to him being gay here, more referring to other theories I have seen when he's involved in the conspiracy and cover up and not sincere in his relationship with Wayne Hays .

Taketimeandfind likes this.
  7. Argus

Of sugar and ice I am made

I think maybe that exchange were Wayne asks if Henry learned to be withholding from him was another subtle acknowledgement from Pizzolatto about one of his most common criticisms. Kind of a "yeah, I know I withhold information when it suits the story, sorry about that."

I saw some stuff online theorizing about Roland being other than what he seems (likely the same article you're referencing, I imagine), and the thought of it bummed me out as well. I guess it could be somewhat believable given how Roland's career arc has fared in contrast to Wayne's, but it would just make me sad and I hope that isn't the case. I still think one of the main reason's Roland left the case alone after 1990 and is hesitant to touch it again is because he learned that Lori has some involvement.

8. dqwinny

THRILLHOUSE Supporter

now we're cooking with gas.

really hope the last two episodes crush it.

715creeks likes this.
  9. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

Wait who's Lori?

10. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Roland's girlfriend that he met at the church that he was living with.

715creeks and BirdPerson like this.
  11. stayillogical

Kayak, deed, rotator, noon, racecar, Woo Young-woo Prestigious

I'm slowly catching up. I'm on episode 2 and Stephen Dorff's line delivery just killed me.

"That was a vivid description of prison rape. Jesus."
    "Could tell he had the racial thing, remember what he said in the barn?"
    "Still, it's gonna haunt me."

That car scene was great. Felt like something out of a Tarantino movie.

12. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Next two episodes have to be huge. i wasnt expecting to have this little information still with only two episodes left.

13. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I got all caught up on the new season last night in a late night binge. I'm loving it so far. It's very similar to the first season, but that's okay since that first season was near perfect.

It goes without saying that the acting is just incredible. Every moment of his Alzheimer's/dementia is terrifying. They do such a great job with the makeup and wardrobe to seamlessly jump 10, 20, or 30 years, it's pretty fascinating.

Excited to finish the season!

14. Argus

Old man Wayne is such a highlight, from the incredible makeup (which is so much better than Dorff's) to Ali's ability to portray him. The only thing more heartbreaking than his "I don't remember my life" line in episode 5 is his completely forgetting that entire conversation with Roland in the next episode. Scoot McNairy continues to be fantastic, too.

15. 715creeks

Meet me in Montauk

Man, Sunday can’t come fast enough

Serenity Now and Brother Beck like this.
  16. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Time is a flat circle

Serenity Now likes this.
  17. OotyPa

fall away

Just watched the most recent episode last night. Man, that scene with Wayne and his son is just absolutely beautiful. How it all unfolds from him learning about the affair, to examining his own wrongs as a father, to admitting how his love has defeated him. Even Henry's startled avoidance of the subject is written in such a real way. And then how Wayne turns and sees his family at the height of his childrens' youth--really moving.

18. 715creeks

Meet me in Montauk

Similar to the scene with Old Hays and Old West. Nic P really came through this season with moments of poignancy.

Brother Beck likes this.
  19. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Ugh, I have been checking out the subreddit for some theories but I’m so often reminded of how awful and misogynistic this fanbase is. The show’s handling of women does nothing to stifle their mindset but it’s so jarring to leave here and see such despicable stuff upvoted.

Of course reddit in general is awful to women, but some places are so lovely that I forget the rest of the site being garbage.

20. Argus

I feel like he's improved dramatically this season when it comes to the quality of his dialogue. Season 1 had some really ridiculous stuff, but Harrelson and McConaughey did just enough to sell it. The second season's writing didn't do those actors any favors, that's for sure.

Brother Beck and 715creeks like this.
  21. 715creeks

Meet me in Montauk

I agree with everything you said. It’s hard to translate Southern Gothic literature to the screen and make it seem not ridiculous or corny. The dialogue this time around seems more.. naturalistic? If that makes any sense? There are still some questionable points of dialogue, but overall, it’s been more believable than season 1 and much better than season 2

Brother Beck likes this.
  22. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I know it is fun to rag on the guy, and he does have some weaknesses (as do we all), but I definitely consider myself a fan of Nic Pizzolatto's work and think he has dramatically improved as a writer with this latest season.

23. OotyPa

fall away

It’s way more subtle. In season one, Matthew McConaughey literally spelled out the themes of the season with his impeccable monologues. They were great, but this season leaves much more room for interpretation.

Edit: although I think thats slightly unfair considering McConaughey’s character viewed himself as a cold and broken outlier to the human race, so far removed from the warmth we see in these characters (who are just as complex, but with more humanity)

24. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I still don’t think anyone talks like an actual person, but to a lesser degree than in S1.

It’s really hard to judge the writing without knowing how it comes together. If they really nail it a lot of the questionable elements could be brilliant in retrospect, but if it falls apart they will stick out even more.

Brother Beck likes this.
  25. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I get what you are saying, but for me, even if the last two episodes are AWFUL and completely crap the bed and the mystery is resolved in a bad way, that scene of Hays and his son discussing his son's infidelity in the backyard exists and shows that he has improved as a writer of dialogue and crafter of scenes.