Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Trophy Eyes - The American Dream (August 3, 2018) Album • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by ArmsLikeTeeth, May 29, 2018.

1. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

I definitely agree that Lavender Bay is the weakest track on the album but I can’t help but get up and dance whenever Forever Friday comes on! Haha!

2. TDenverFan

Regular

AOTY

beachdude42 and Nate_Johnson like this.
  3. CAC3

Dog

The first two tracks and the songs released early are all fantastic.

4. koryoreo

Trusted Supporter

The first two singles are the best songs and this is a big letdown after Chemical Miracle for me. I like the change in direction and the fact that they are expanding their sound. I just found it to be a bit boring and not as huge as it could have been as the first two songs singles show a lot of potential for this band.

MrCon likes this.
  5. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

I’m actually REALLY enjoying this so far! I didn’t listen to their previous album but checked out a couple songs earlier, I’m planning to check out the whole thing later. But I think they nailed this sound, and the frontman’s voice is perfect for stadium-sized rock anthems.

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  6. Mustache_Band

It's amazing how different this band has become since their debut. That first album was one of the last blind cd's I ever bought and was pleasantly surprised by. This album sounds like a completely different band. I like it early on.

beachdude42 likes this.
  7. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Chemical Miracle is an absolute classic. A legitimate 9 or 10/10 modern pop punk album. This is okay, but it is just dull compared to their last album.

Autumn and Something Bigger Than This are okay.
    Friday Forever has grown on me and is super fun.
    More Like You is so catchy.
    A Cotton Candy Sky is fine.
    You Can Count On Me fucking slaps.
    Broken, Tip Toe and Lavander Bay are SOOOOOOOO bad haha. Like legitimately awful.
    The last three are fine, but kind of dull for this band.

FloatThroughMe and MrCon like this.
  8. FloatThroughMe

Regular Supporter

I enjoy this so far but I agree that this album does sound like a different band. Screaming has definitely been toned down but the melodies are great. Chemical Miracle is still better for me at this point.

9. thegreatbenbino

Be excellent to each other! Supporter

Never listened to these guys before, but I'm enjoying this album 4 songs in. Might have to check out their other stuff since a lot of you guys seem pretty bummed with this album.

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  10. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Friday Forever is an absolute jam though and I didn't like that song at first.

Hoping this album grows and makes me eat my words.

11. This album has definitely grown on me over the past couple listens, but Chemical Miracle was so immediate that it's weird to not love this off the bat. Mend, Move On did take a bit to sink in but I still really dug the energy on that record. And I love their initial EP, that thing was just so unique for the time. John's lyrics are pretty great on this record though, he's matured quite a bit since those days.

I think my big problem is that musically the band didn't really step up the way John tried to vocally and lyrically. The new drummer just doesn't hold a candle to the old one. That guy could play FAST. The guitars feel relatively uninspired throughout the record. But overall, the album is far more interesting than what most pop punk bands are doing. Although I don't think that bodes well for TE commercially and they already weren't the most popular act.

Also, does anyone else think that John kinda sounds like Matt Berninger sometimes?

12. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

I think Friday Forever is the only song I like on here

Still can't stand You Can Count On Me and I think the rest is pretty boring :tear:

Loved Chemical Miracle so this is a bummer

13. I feel like I need to stand up for Tip Toe cause I love that song. Reminds me of a Little Brother track but on a TE record

Nate_Johnson and beachdude42 like this.
  14. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

I like this, agreed there's some tracks on here that are stronger than others but calling any of them "legitimately awful" I think is a little unfair. It may not be what you want from Trophy Eyes, but yeah I think that's a bit harsh. But to each their own. I think this will get a fair amount of spins from me during this warm weather.

15. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

I agree on all points. You are allowed to have your thoughts and feelings about a band or album but slogging their name through the mud because you personally don’t like it is unfair.

On that same point: you don’t have to like everything and shouldn’t be expected to!

bachna84 likes this.
  16. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

After loving their last two albums on first listen I'm just not feeling this. Lyrics are weakest yet, lack of aggression, forgettable melodies. I appreciate they seem to evolve/reinvent their sound every album but this is not really for me.

MrCon likes this.
  17. dzyjay

Regular

Was definetly expecting mixed reviews in here but I think the whole thing is a banger.

18. beachdude

Yep, I also dig pretty much the whole album. Super fun, and John’s vocals go with this sound so well.

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  19. beachdude

I Can Feel It Calling is my favorite, and one of my favorite album closers in a while. That song really spoke to where I'm at in my life right now.

solxace and Nate_Johnson like this.
  20. BenSmith94

Trusted

Miming in the Choir is superb.

21. Rob Hughes

Play the Yakuza series

Gonna give this a full listen, listened to the first song and the singer sounds a little bit like the guy from Hostage Calm to me.

22. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Been listening to this more. It's a better album than I first gave it credit for. Even Lavender Bay which i disliked is a massive grower.

That said, it's no Chemical Miracle. Chlorine is one of the best songs in the scene from the past few years.

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  23. Mustache_Band

Yeah so I love this now.

24. Saephon

Regular

I'm having trouble getting into this. Not that it's bad by any means, a lot of the songs just sound... Imagine Dragon-y. I guess I instinctively roll my eyes at motivational "whoa oh oh! whoa oh ohhhh whoa oh oh" songs.

MrCon likes this.
  25. bachna84

we are nothing more than mannequins Prestigious

Miming in the Choir has moved up to #1 on this album for me - what a song!