Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Tropes • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Henry, Jun 1, 2016.

1. mad

I was right. Prestigious

This isn't a trope but another thing that bugs me is when someone texts someone and it shows no previous conversation in their phone even though it's someone they would clearly text a lot (like a good friend or something)

2. mad

I was right. Prestigious

Jake Gyllenhaal and ChaseTx like this.
  3. mad

I was right. Prestigious

Also: unnecessary walking while talking about important stuff. The characters aren't actually going anywhere important to the plot but for some reason the director (or whoever makes this sort of decision) decided that the scene needed more action or something. If the acting and dialogue is good the scene can work just fine without all the movement.

4. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I always notice the cup thing mostly cause I'm so clumsy that when I hold cups I am overly careful and then actors are just flinging them all around. Like every time I see this pic I get anxious cause how can one person hold so many cups so casually?? I hold one drink tray and suddenly it feels like I have to walk across a tightrope or something

[​IMG]

5. Kiana Nov 19, 2016
    (Last edited: Nov 20, 2016)
    Kiana

When supposedly broke characters still have nice, cute, spacious apartments. It has given me such unrealistic expectations lol. gtfo. With that income in the city you'd be living in a closet in a shoebox with 6 other roommates and u know it!!!!

Robk, CarpetElf and St. Nate like this.
  6. molassescookies

pretty much everything in "Chef"

7. TedSchmosby

Trusted

I think the sitcom has made me romanticize New York to an unhealthy extent

Kiana likes this.
  8. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Main character gets a text message that could lead them to a bad decision, sits on it for a day or more, then when they decide to respond to it the other person responds instantly

9. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

I think we just finished the same episode of Love

ChaseTx likes this.
  10. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

You are correct

11. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

When one character has a performance of some kind that they keep reiterating is very important to them and then another character misses the performance because of extenuating circumstances and the first character gets mad about it. Such a lazy source of conflict.

12. Kiana

The old "oh no he's going to shoot this guy WAIT NEVER MIND HE JUST SHOT HIMSELF INSTEAD" trope

13. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

There’s a tropes thread?!

14. Kiana

I could have sworn I created the thread too but I didn't. Wonder if I did on AP?? Or I'm just losing it lol

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  15. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I can see myself posting here way too much. I live for TV Tropes and discussing my favorite/least favorite ones.

16. AndrewSoup

It's A Secret To Everyone Prestigious

thank u @Kiana for resuscitating this thread.

does anyone (who also browses TVTropes) know the name of that trope where a character turns on the TV right as a relevant program/show/news report comes on?
    i was thinking about this when rewatching Arrested Development and they lampshaded/subverted it

looked it up myself; "Coincidental Broadcast"

17. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

The 1990s was the end of the century and society was constantly reminding everyone a new era of change and progress

18. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I wish they included the send up of that line from Bridesmaids, it always kills me.

19. Kiana

It's so much fun when an actress gets pregnant and u can tell by the black oversized clothing and them hiding behind things. Idk if that counts as a trope but it's fun!!

20. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Gotta do a lot of laundry!

Kiana likes this.
  21. mad

I was right. Prestigious

I love what they did on B99 when Chelsea was pregnant
    aka make zero effort to hide it whatsoever

22. AndrewSoup

It's A Secret To Everyone Prestigious

i really need to watch B99

23. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

the best was on Last Man On Earth when they were hiding Carol’s pregnancy in-show.

24. Kiana

Now instead of hiding the pregnancy they're acting like she's just gained weight and there are fat jokes and it's Not Cute.

25. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

That’s the worst version of Hide Your Pregnancy, and I can’t believe some of the shows that have used it.