Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Trip-hop Genre

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by PauLo, Sep 10, 2020.

1. PauLo

43% Burnt

Been listening to Tricky this morning, so I thought i'd create this thread to talk about how fucking great he is.

Trip hop has always been a genre i've skirted around, but it's only been the past year that i've really started to appreciate it's genius. I feel as if a lot of it is under appreciated on these boards. I noticed the Massive Attack thread only had 10 replies and the Portishead thread had just the opening post. For shame!

But yeah. Trip hop is great.

Onlyadirector, Orla and stars143 like this.
  2. This thread is for me!

I'm at work but let me post this as a reminder to come back with more recommendations when I'm home

Watch me forget about it until the weekend or later lol

Natalie Walker is great

That was her former band

Orla likes this.
  3. stars143

Trusted

Love trip-hop. Some bands that come to mind that I 'ppreciate: Massive Attack, Portishead, Tricky, Nightmares on Wax, Sneaker Pimps, Thievery Corporation, Unkle, Zero 7, Goldfrapp (some of her music, anyway), Lovage, and Morcheeba.

Some lo-fi, post-rock, and minimalist electro groups are keeping the genre alive, imo.

4. JM95

Trusted

Enjoying the new Tricky record. Impressive restraint given the context in which it was made.

5. PauLo

43% Burnt

I never know whether to talk about DJ Shadow in here or not. I guess it's more instrumental hip hop, but some much of Entroducing.... and Private Press could be considered some of the best trip hop ever made.

Only saying this because i'm listening to Entroducing.... now. Such an amazing album.

stars143 likes this.
  6. Onlyadirector

Trusted Supporter

I have such a deep appreciation for trip hop. Calms the nerves like no other music. Here's some lesser known songs (trip hop and trip hop adjacent) worth checking out.

7. PauLo

43% Burnt

I see someone mentioned Nightmares on Wax in a post above. I got into an argument with him on Twitter the other day because he’s an anti-vax moron and shared a post comparing having a vaccine passports now with Jews wearing the yellow Star of David in nazi Germany.

I blocked him in the end.

8. Onlyadirector

Trusted Supporter

Nooo, not nightmares on wax :(

stars143 likes this.